The OFFICIAL Fender Blues Junior Lounge!!!

Crxsh

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by eric.chambers

View Post

I just put a new Texas heat in my Blues jr, and it sounds real nice and everything, but it seems like my amp isn't as loud as it was before. Anyone else have this problem?

I definitely did not have that happen after installing a Texas Heat. In fact, I can crank it louder with more headroom with the TH.

• Members

has anybody just taken the blues jr head and modified it to run an extension cab? or even rehoused the amplifier section all together? i'd kind of just like to run the head and power a separate cab, but at that point i don't know if it'd be less trouble to just find a 15watt tube head to power the cab (1x8 or 2x12, fyi.).

but yeah, i really enjoy the blues jr's capabilities bone stock! it's a very, very dependable little workhorse!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by shames

View Post

has anybody just taken the blues jr head and modified it to run an extension cab? or even rehoused the amplifier section all together? i'd kind of just like to run the head and power a separate cab, but at that point i don't know if it'd be less trouble to just find a 15watt tube head to power the cab (1x8 or 2x12, fyi.).

but yeah, i really enjoy the blues jr's capabilities bone stock! it's a very, very dependable little workhorse!

No mod needed. At least on my Jr., the speaker is simply plugged into a 1/4" jack. Look closely in the back.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by shames

View Post

I am not sure I'd like it coming though an 8" speaker. On his site, BillM shows a 1x12 extension cab to match the BJr. so it was running 2x12... Kind cool looking BJr Stack.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by 2deaconblues

View Post

I definitely did not have that happen after installing a Texas Heat. In fact, I can crank it louder with more headroom with the TH.

I'm hoping maybe it's just me not being used to how it sounds now that I put the new speaker in, or maybe the speaker just needs to be"broken in" confused.gif I dunno, everything looks ok, all tubes are glowing etc. confused.gif

• Members

Eric,

Though I didn't have the volume problem, I certainly noticed a difference after the Texas Heat was broken in. I liked it initially, but the entire tonal range improved with playing time. Play the hell out of it for a few days and see what you think.

• Members

I would REALLY like a tweed Blues Jr. for use at church/very small gigs.

To be honest though, I'd really like a small-ish 2x10 rather than a 1x12 but there are SO FEW 2x10 production amps that it's just not nearly as fiscally ideal.

I can find really good 1x12's for cheap all day long, but the cheapest 2x10 I've found is a Vibrolux reissue that (if you're lucky) can be had around $600. cry.gif

if I could find an amp @ or around the same wattage as a blues jr but in a 2x10 configuration for around $400 used.....

love.giflove.giflove.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Dolflundgren

View Post

if I could find an amp @ or around the same wattage as a blues jr but in a 2x10 configuration for around $400 used.....

love.giflove.giflove.gif

I'd really like to build a new cab for my Blues Jr. and do it in tweed, but I'm also seriously considering doing it as a 2X10. Someone over at the Fender forum did that, though not in tweed, and it looked great.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by 2deaconblues

View Post

I'd really like to build a new cab for my Blues Jr. and do it in tweed, but I'm also seriously considering doing it as a 2X10. Someone over at the Fender forum did that, though not in tweed, and it looked great.

Sounds like a cool project. If you get around to it, make sure to post pics!

• Members

Just went back to playing a Blues Junior, bought it used and added a couple of Billm mods (Tone stack and Power supply stiffening), changed the tubes to JJ tubes put in my old celestion G12H30 ...great speaker in a blues junior and last week just got my Solid Pine cab also using the Tonebone Hollywood Distortion pedal which makes the amp rip if I need it too!.

Such a nice sounding amp and just the right power for my needs I practice and gig this amp with no Issues being heard and if it is an Issue just stick a mic in front of it!

BJ_Pine_Cab.jpg

• Members

I've got a special ed. black and tan BJ with a new Celestion V30. I am experiencing a loud, high pitched resonant vibration when playing open G (or around open G). The noise is almost certainly mechanical in nature. I took the whole thing apart and snugged up every screw I could get a driver into and the noise persists. FDP forums had some interesting suggestions, anyone here with a similar problem? Maybe the reverb tank?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by J.LaGrassa

View Post

Just went back to playing a Blues Junior, bought it used and added a couple of Billm mods (Tone stack and Power supply stiffening), changed the tubes to JJ tubes put in my old celestion G12H30 ...great speaker in a blues junior and last week just got my Solid Pine cab also using the Tonebone Hollywood Distortion pedal which makes the amp rip if I need it too!.

Such a nice sounding amp and just the right power for my needs I practice and gig this amp with no Issues being heard and if it is an Issue just stick a mic in front of it!

BJ_Pine_Cab.jpg

Those Dado joints in the cabinet are so fuggin' sexy.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Deenie

View Post

I've got a special ed. black and tan BJ with a new Celestion V30. I am experiencing a loud, high pitched resonant vibration when playing open G (or around open G). The noise is almost certainly mechanical in nature. I took the whole thing apart and snugged up every screw I could get a driver into and the noise persists. FDP forums had some interesting suggestions, anyone here with a similar problem? Maybe the reverb tank?

Have you tried BillM's Phase Inverter Osciallation fix? It helped mine, and is something everyone should be aware of. Just don't touch any caps when you're doing it.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Deenie

View Post

Yeah, I did the cable redress for the phase inverter tube, still get this weird ringing. I'll try to record what it sounds like when I get home later today.

I may have had the same thing. I suspected the metal strap (or whatever it's called) that is held against the power tubes with springs. I put two rubber washers, plumbing gromets, in the metal strap. The points of the tubes now rest against the washers and not the metal. I was told at the Fender forum that my tubes were going bad and this would not help. The sound never came back, it did work. It may not be what you're experiencing, but you could try taking the metal strap and the springs off and see if the ringing goes away.

Archived