The OFFICIAL Fender Blues Junior Lounge!!!

Crxsh

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by StratStevo

View Post

The Blues Junior does more, but I have always felt that the Pro Junior made a much more musical/natural TuBe GrInD when opened up, both suffer from suckass speakers love.gif

Did you replace your stock speakers? I've been thinking about swapping mine out for Jensens.

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by StratStevo

View Post

Yes I have a Weber Blue Dog in my Blues Junior and a Weber 10F100 in my Pro Junior, I think you would be happy with the Jensen's wave.gif

Woot! I'm not committed to the Jensens... it's just what I've seen in others. Are you happy with the Weber? Are there other common swaps that people do that I'm unaware of?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by ambys

View Post

Woot! I'm not committed to the Jensens... it's just what I've seen in others. Are you happy with the Weber? Are there other common swaps that people do that I'm unaware of?

Yeah..the Weber's have a good balance when it comes to bottom/mid/top, they have always worked well for getting the sound that I am after love.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I'm actually thinking about selling my Carr Rambler and using the money to custom order a G@L Comanche. I never gig with my Rambler and although I do record it once in awhile, I figure it's kind of a shame to just have it sitting there as a glorified practice amp as I never really crank it up either at home. I was thinking of picking up a BlueJr as a replacement. I have a Bogner Shiva,also, and that's another reason. Sometimes I look at my paycheck and feel like an idiot for having 4k worth of amplifiers. Anybody here A-B'd them? Would I be kicking myself if I get rid of the Rambler?

• Members

I'd like some input from the knowledgeable blues jr. fans out there, what improvements will make the most difference in the sound. I have the blonde/oxblood one that is all stock specs. I've read about a lot of mods out there, and I was also thinking of just upgrading the speaker. What's my best option making the most improvement in my tone (not that I can complain about what I have now).

PS-also what kind of speaker wattage/ohms does one need to replace it with? (as you can tell, I know little to nothing about this kind of stuff)

• Members

I have been using my Blues Junior Lacquered Tweed for just about everything recently. I play with a couple different groups at times but I mainly write and record with a partner from my old band and we do lots of industrial metal stuff. Our stuff is kinda like old Ministry/NIN/ with a little bit of Gov't Mule type stuff thrown in........................basically whatever crazy {censored} we come up with we just smile and play.

I use my Blues Junior in a isolation box with a Blue Woodpecker microphone. I am getting huge distorted tones out of my amp (has the upgrade Jensen) I have used a ton of different pedals but so far I have had the best results with a Jacques Fuse Blower II pedal for leads/slide parts. For pure chord work whether it be chunky power chords or finger picked distorted tones I am using a Tone factor '75 Special Dirty Boost and keeping the amp set for a slight breakup with lots of treble and mids usually >7 and I never have the bass past 3-4. I have had some pretty good studio guys listen in total disbelief that the tones were coming out of a 15 watt 12 inch Fender ampsmile.gif

the funny part is, out of the gear I have, the most expensive thing I own is that microphonesmile.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by HMCMedic

View Post

I have been using my Blues Junior Lacquered Tweed for just about everything recently. I play with a couple different groups at times but I mainly write and record with a partner from my old band and we do lots of industrial metal stuff. Our stuff is kinda like old Ministry/NIN/ with a little bit of Gov't Mule type stuff thrown in........................basically whatever crazy {censored} we come up with we just smile and play.

I use my Blues Junior in a isolation box with a Blue Woodpecker microphone. I am getting huge distorted tones out of my amp (has the upgrade Jensen) I have used a ton of different pedals but so far I have had the best results with a Jacques Fuse Blower II pedal for leads/slide parts. For pure chord work whether it be chunky power chords or finger picked distorted tones I am using a Tone factor '75 Special Dirty Boost and keeping the amp set for a slight breakup with lots of treble and mids usually >7 and I never have the bass past 3-4. I have had some pretty good studio guys listen in total disbelief that the tones were coming out of a 15 watt 12 inch Fender ampsmile.gif

the funny part is, out of the gear I have, the most expensive thing I own is that microphonesmile.gif

Ha, Im using mine to make etheral (re:weird ass'd) industrial. That's great.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Crxshdxmmy

View Post

As promised, my Fix the amp? update. wave.gif

Many of you probably saw my post last week (thanks for the edit Phil) expressing a certain frustration with the handling techniques of the "trusty" U.S. Postal Service.

Well ... when my beautiful Blooze Junior arrived, I soon discovered that thy guy I bought it from had failed to take the casters off of this amp (why he had casters on it, I'll never know) and thus, it had been severely damaged in route.

The bottom of this amp was made of solid OAK (the outside is Teak) and it had been cracked from size to side, it was also almost completely dislodged as the screws were more like pegs (no threading), a trim piece on the front had been partially snapped and ... the list goes on. Pics:

So... all of this sucks, but the good news is that it's all fixable.

I've talked with the seller (real nice guy from Spokane) several times via email & phone and he's willing to cover all the repair costs. So, I managed use a sharp knife to cut away all the glue and take everything apart so that I could get correct measurements and whatnot over the weekend. Tonight I'm going to Home Depot to get some replacement wood, screws, glue, stain & clamps to fix this thing. Lucky for me, my wife loves to refinish furniture... so I should be able to match the stain pretty well.

Here's what it looks like now:

n161501268_31013576_5481.jpg

n161501268_31013577_5739.jpg

n161501268_31013578_5982.jpg

I'll post more pix as it comes along. Probably when it's done.

Right now, I'm gonna go see if I can find some amp feet for this thing.

Thanks!

#1 - Who tf puts casters on an amp this small?!? At least the seller is willing to work with ya on repair costs. But he should still roll 1d4 and deduct from intelligence for that stunt.

#2 - Nice job going about fixing the cabinet yourself, good luck with that. I'm sure alot of people would throw in the towel and get a replacement cab (although a nice, light pine cab? mmmmmm.....). It's a learning experience, but not mission impossible. Definitely post pics when repairs are done, that cab looks sweet. Love the teak. love.gif

#3 - Fender Sphinx Glides for the feet are easy to find.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Furtive

View Post

#1 - Who tf puts casters on an amp this small?!? At least the seller is willing to work with ya on repair costs. But he should still roll 1d4 and deduct from intelligence for that stunt.

#2 - Nice job going about fixing the cabinet yourself, good luck with that. I'm sure alot of people would throw in the towel and get a replacement cab (although a nice, light pine cab? mmmmmm.....). It's a learning experience, but not mission impossible. Definitely post pics when repairs are done, that cab looks sweet. Love the teak. love.gif

#3 - Fender Sphinx Glides for the feet are easy to find.

#1 - Oh I know. Casters???? This amp is what, 30 pound max? But yeah... he was really cool... sent me back $65 to cover all the repairs (to the cab).

#2 - Thanks. I called him to tell him it was damaged and he was like "Well... I'll pay to have this shipped back." And I was like .... "Uh ... no. I'm keeping this thing. This is so freakin' cool. Forget about that. I'll just fix it."

But fixing it was fun ... a little harder than I expected... but fun anyway. My wife loves to refinish furniture, so she was a big help. So, everything is stained, varnished, glued & screwed in now.... but I've got a little more to do on it before it's done completely. More on that later.

#3 - I've currently got an order in for those glides with ampwares.com .... but those sons-of-bitches are the worst shippers EVER. I placed my order about a month ago .... still nothing. If I don't get them this week, I'm gonna try to get others.

Like I said, the repairs are mostly done. It's totally playable, but I've got a little more cosmetic gluing and whatnot to do. I'm waiting to post pics until it's completely done and my chassis is back from Jersey. Sent it to BillM last week for some more mods -- reverb & presence knob.

So at that point, here are the upgrades to this green-board Blues Jr.

-Custom Teak Cabinet w/ Oak Bottom

-Eminence Cannabis Rex Speaker*

-JJ's Preamp & Power tubes*

-Bill M mods - Tone Stack | Twin Stack | Power Stiffening | Master Audio Taper | Metal Input Jack | Reverb Mod* | Presence Control Knob*

*Mods after I bought it on eBay.

I might add an afterstock reverb tank later from Mojo music ... but I figured I'd let Bill do his work and see what happens with it. Apparently his reverb mod brings it up to cream-board functionality. We'll see... Unfortunately though, I think I blew an output transformer in this too..... so Bill is fixing that for me while it's in.

Either way, I can't wait to have it back.

• Members

Uh.... no. Not at all actually. My Jr. is currently chassis-less. I sent it off to BillM for a small repair and a couple mods. When it gets back next week it should work like a champ ... but right now it's slightly MIA.

I'm thinking about completing my chassis repair now though, so it'll all be done when it gets back..... I still need to get some of those glides though.

• Members

I used to have a Blues Jr, but at a gig one time it crapped out on me. I think I might have blown out something inside, I wasn't really sure. Either way, swapping the tubes out didn't do the trick, and I didn't really feel like fixing it. I had a gig the next day, so I went into a big chain music store around here and traded it in, along with my strat, and ended up buying a Deluxe Reverb.

I actually love(d) the blues jr, but alas, I think I beat 'er a little too hard. Great sounding little amp. As an aside, though, I love my DR even more.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I just picked up a BJ sunburst off ebay and love the way it matches my 57 reissue. I did notice two things different from yours and mine. I have a leather handle and my speaker cloth is wheat. I checked and the cloth is the original so it wasn't changed. I haven't seen another sunburst like mine. I did find one like yours but they wanted way way too much for it. I'll try to post pics this weekend so you can see it.

Quote Originally Posted by star0nfire

View Post

Well, I figured I should post mine here as well. I love it! I've played countless amps, and I still love the tones I can get out of this little beast! I'm planning on buying an Orange Tiny Terror to get some more distorted sounds, though.

This is my Blues Junior:

img6382es3.jpg

13563634ac3.jpg

41239084xe1.jpg

• Members

Yup I guess so. There was another one on ebay located on the west coast and the guy decided to keep it. I liked it because it sits in my studio room and matches my sunburst strat. I don't gig any more and only record. With the finish it's something you would not want to transport without an anvil case. I'll probably pickup another tweed BJ if I decided to start going to jam sessions. Right now I'm really focused on building my studio up.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratman Tigers

View Post

So that was YOU who won the auction? I really wanted it, but had no $$$'s. I settled for a cheaper Blues Jr, but I love it.

Archived