The Offical DIY Thread

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by mcnabbanov

View Post

im gona stick with a 2 color design, nothing too fancy. i just dont really want the paint chipping off easily ala bjfe icon_lol.gif

is there just a kind of lacquer in a spray bottle i can buy that will do this?

yup the same as whatever paint you are using probably, I use plastikote paints and plastikote clear coat, if you are using halfords car spray then you'll be able to buy halfords clear lacquer too.

the most important thing to stop it chipping off is A: make sure the case is free from any dirt or grease (wash it with some mild detergent) then give it a good coat of primer so the paint sticks to the case properly.

• Members

eek.gif primer eek.gif

too late icon_lol.gif maybe for my second enclosure i'll paint i'll do that. I just cleaned the enclosure i did pretty well with some rubbing alcohol freak.gif figured i'd be good icon_lol.gif we'll see how it turns out i guess

i'll check out the home depot and as their advice and pick up a small thing of primer and some lacquer. do they have spray bottle primer?

painting pedals is actually quite fun thumb.gif just annoying to have to wait for the layers to dry. im just doing one step every day after work and letting it dry til the next evening

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by mcnabbanov

View Post

eek.gif primer eek.gif

too late icon_lol.gif maybe for my second enclosure i'll paint i'll do that. I just cleaned the enclosure i did pretty well with some rubbing alcohol freak.gif figured i'd be good icon_lol.gif we'll see how it turns out i guess

i'll check out the home depot and as their advice and pick up a small thing of primer and some lacquer. do they have spray bottle primer?

painting pedals is actually quite fun thumb.gif just annoying to have to wait for the layers to dry. im just doing one step every day after work and letting it dry til the next evening

yes primer and lacquer, it will all come in the same cans as the paint. thumb.gif

yeah, it's a pain waiting for stuff to dry, but you can't really rush it or you'll end up {censored}ing it up.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by RoboPimp

View Post

the easiest way to prevent chipping is not to touch the pedal, ever

yes!

all my diy efforts have chips in them already!! the easiest way is to just not give a {censored}. icon_lol.gif

• Members

Made these ages ago...

A Vintage Fuzz Master / Soda-Meiser clone, painted by my lovely wife...

45062_486878433447_617033447_6903547_170

...and a volume boost, painted by me... I forget which circuit it was. I'll have to check. All I remember is that the volume knob is on the input rather than the output, so the input impedance changes with the gain.

40486_486878478447_617033447_6903549_569

thumb.gif

• Members

Anyone else find that ordering parts is a complete money sink?

Like you think "oh, I need 3 of those, 4 of those, may as well order ten since they're cheap"

"BASKET: $20"

"I ordered $20 of stuff last month and only built 1 thing!"

I guess part of it is breadboarding things and finding you don't care for them so not boxing them up

And part of it isfuturlec/tayda not stocking basic things like audio jacks.

• Members

I tend to buy everything in bulk and never for individual pedals, so although it's more of a lump going out in one go, I'm confident that I can build anything now and will always have the bits in without having to pay a premium for a low number of parts.

It's not expensive to kit yourself out with a entire series of resistors and caps, and you can get 50 or 100 of most of the commonly used transistors from eBay sellers for a couple of quid, so you can soon build up quite a stash.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by neoflox

View Post

Yeah, did that for a couple of months. Now I have almost everything in stock I might need for the next 10 pedals. idn_smilie.gif

Yeah, it's pots that get me. I'm about to order a couple of batches of neutrik sockets on ebay since I can't find a good price for those elsewhere; can anyone else beat just under

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Hides-His-Eyes

View Post

Yeah, it's pots that get me. I'm about to order a couple of batches of neutrik sockets on ebay since I can't find a good price for those elsewhere; can anyone else beat just under

• Members

The best thing to do is to make it worth your while by doing reasonable sized orders of the heavy stuff (3DPTs, Jacks, DC Jacks, Cases) and like others have said getting a base stock of the following:

Resistors

Electrolytics

Ceramics

Semiconductors (Transistors/ICs)

Diodes including LEDs

The value packs on various websites are pretty great for the beginner. I get Pots in reasonable quantities from Futurlec, just ordering a bunch when I notice I'm getting low on a certain value.

• Members

All the standard lin and log are short split shafts. Not too much of an issue though, I've used screw knobs with split shafts for years and you can always include a little metal shim in the split if you want to strengthen it.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by IvIark

View Post

All the standard lin and log are short split shafts. Not too much of an issue though, I've used screw knobs with split shafts for years and you can always include a little metal shim in the split if you want to strengthen it.

the ones I got are also smaller than the solid shaft by a bit so if you use 1/4" screw on knobs they sit off center.

Archived