Worst Amps Ever Made

The Boogie Man

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by Towelie v2.0

When you say Peavey Classic, you can't possibly mean like the Classic series C30/C50 series, right? 'Cause I'm gonna flame your ass if you speak ill of the Classic series.

Judging by the time frame of the other ones mentioned,I'm thinking the poster meant the old hybrid Classics. Don't ya think?

• Members

Originally posted by saturdaysaviour

John Paul Jones used them as well I believe.

Their bass amps were killer. Lots of bass players used those

huge ported, powered, front firing 1X18" cabinets.

I remember seeing Humble Pie from the front row in NYC

around 72 & almost getting my ribs broken from the thunderous

bass. Thing was, these amps didn't seem as loud to the player

when he stood right in front of it. However, about 10 feet or

so from the cabinet it was earth shaking.

• Members

Originally posted by 57GLDTP

Thing was, these amps didn't seem as loud to the player

when he stood right in front of it. However, about 10 feet or

so from the cabinet it was earth shaking.

That's just the nature of 18"s. They need about 20-24' (22' jumps into my head for some reason) for the soundwave to fully form.

• Members

Originally posted by Towelie v2.0

When you say Peavey Classic, you can't possibly mean like the Classic series C30/C50 series, right? 'Cause I'm gonna flame your ass if you speak ill of the Classic series.

No, those are good amps. Peavey made their original "Classic" which was a 50 watt version of of the Mace, and they're horrible amps.

• Members

Skynyrd guitarists all used (non-gutted :rolleyes: ) Mace heads and Mace/Duece combos on 4x12s with Black Widows, then all but Gary R. switched to Heritage Combos on 4x12s at some point, which were the same amp played by .38 Special and Molly Hatchet. Gary Rossington was still playing his same heads and cabs from the 70s just two years ago, and said he has them rebuilt periodically and the old BW speakers reconed.

Not everyone likes the tone of the old Peavey tube hybrids, but they were very well built and you'll see them (many still with the original tubes) being dragged around by all sorts of bands today. Damn near bulletproof, and considering the average combo weighs about 90 lbs ... they should be. :D

The worst amp I ever owned was a Marshall Split Channel Fifty, which came out in the late 80s when SS amps were briefly popular and were going to be the wave of the future. It was as if they took everything good about a JCM800, turned it 180 degrees, and removed the soul and the tone. Everyone wanted a GK or ADA rack setup back then and we briefly thought SS was cool. :D

What were we thinking. :(

Minh

• Members
Originally posted by Dave Owens

KMD was made/dist localy here in Indiana....there was KMD amps in every single music store here in town...running joke..

Makes me wonder what's up with the Union Jack in the ad if neither Bon Jovi or KMD are from the UK. :confused:

• Members

Far as i'm concerned the only bad amps are amps that tell you things that aren't true(early Line 6 amps, and current Behringer claiming ratings double or more their true capacity...) or just plain don't work.

Thus, Line 6, Marshall, Behringer, Crate, the Vox SS bass amp that nearly electrocuted me at a store... there were more, but the bass amp shocked them out....

Archived