Worst Amps Ever Made

The Boogie Man

• Members
Originally posted by snakum

Skynyrd guitarists all used (non-gutted
:rolleyes:
) Mace heads and Mace/Duece combos on 4x12s with Black Widows, then all but Gary R. switched to Heritage Combos on 4x12s at some point, which were the same amp played by .38 Special and Molly Hatchet. Gary Rossington was still playing his same heads and cabs from the 70s just two years ago, and said he has them rebuilt periodically and the old BW speakers reconed.

Not everyone likes the tone of the old Peavey tube hybrids, but they were very well built and you'll see them (many still with the original tubes) being dragged around by all sorts of bands today. Damn near bulletproof, and considering the average combo weighs about 90 lbs ... they should be.
:D

The worst amp I ever owned was a Marshall Split Channel Fifty, which came out in the late 80s when SS amps were briefly popular and were going to be the wave of the future. It was as if they took everything good about a JCM800, turned it 180 degrees, and removed the soul and the tone. Everyone wanted a GK or ADA rack setup back then and we briefly thought SS was cool.
:D

What were we thinking.
:(

Minh

Many of the live shows I've seen from the 70's their tone did suck, so sometimes live, they may have used Maces occasionally. If you think they're Maces were stock, or that they used them for recording, you're on Crack. I've got a Mace in a barn behind my house, my cousin had Classic, and a friend of mine had a Duece, then a Heritage, they're nothing but {censored}.

At one point, they did have good live tone though...

normal_edwhisky.jpg

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I dunno about while they were still in high school, lol. :D

Everything I've ever read, even from the late Ed King days, says exactly what I posted, from Gary R, Al Kooper, various members of Hatchet and .38 Special, and the guy who engineered on some of the albums. They obviously used Marshalls early as your pic shows, but from some time in the early to mid 70s they used only Peavey, and according to Gary R. they were stock with various devices in the signal (don't remember the names of the pedals).

And if you think the guitar tone on 'That Smell' is a Marshall ... you're smoking crack right along with me. :D

You think they sound like {censored}, that's your opinion, and from your screen name it's to be expected. But plenty of folks like the tone and plenty of folks made a lot of money with the Mace, Deuce, and Heritage (the old Classics are a different animal altogether) so many of us would beg to differ. It's all subjective.

Minhberg

• Members
Originally posted by Marshall Freak

Many of the live shows I've seen from the 70's their tone did suck, so sometimes live, they may have used Maces occasionally. If you think they're Maces were stock, or that they used them for recording, you're on Crack. I've got a Mace in a barn behind my house, my cousin had Classic, and a friend of mine had a Duece, then a Heritage, they're nothing but {censored}.

At one point, they did have good live tone though...

normal_edwhisky.jpg

Did they endorse Peavey? That would make a lot of sense... Nice pic.

• Members
Originally posted by TheAtomicJeff

Peavey Rage. Just plain awful.

Yup that's my only amp. I have a VAMp pro so I'm ok though.

Jesus. I played on that. It sounds so brittle on the NECK pickup it hurts your ears on clean. Seriously bad. Then the gain. Jesus. I played it the other day. It's not gain. It doesn't do anything apart from white noise. Pinch harmonics sound louder on acoustics :confused: Properly {censored} piece of equipment.

Archived