Worst Amps Ever Made

The Boogie Man

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Any 80's Peavey SS amp. I used to have an Audition Chorus and 212 Chorus. Ended up selling both for practically nothing but I was glad to get rid of them. The Audition Chorus had a 3 band eq that does nothing when you turn the knobs. Both were ice-picky, non-dynamic and some of the worst SS distortion I've ever heard. Really turned me off to Peavey products but their Classic 50/50 power amp put them back on the map for me.

• Members

I'm pretty sure this makes me a bad person, and probably grounds for immediate execution, but I want a Peavey Duece just so I can some day break it.

Whereupon I can utter the phrase "Oh, man, I just dropped a 40 pound Duece."

I have no idea about the actual weight of a Duece, but it's old Peavey, so I guess only slightly less than a Sherman tank.

And as far as {censored} amps, I'm still trying to get over my Omni 1008. If the Devil himself {censored} in a box with a speaker, it'd sound better.

• Members

The very worst amp i have ever heard was an older 50 watt 1-12 Crate that had a tube preamp. One of my old drummers had it and i swear that if you took every bad frequency that can be amplified, that is what this amp put out. The drummer was so proud of it" Look man its a TUBE amp"

Everything sounded bad. Its highs were icepicky yet bland, the mids were honkey yet indistict and the lows sounded like an amplified bowel movement.

But the absoulute worst part of it... was the drummer used to use the distorted channel with the highs and lows all the way up, the gain maxed and then he plugged a Danelectro overdrive and a fricken Metal Zone with the treble and gain all the way up. He of course played his hi quality Rok AX Stratscrewup thru it.

He was always bugging me "Man you gotta try this at our next gig its a TOOB amp man"

• Members

The worst amp I ever owned was a Carvin bass amp. It was LOUD and then quiet without changing notes. I took it in for repair and when I got it back it still did it so I sent it away to a Carvin technician he replaced the power something or other and the outout transformer and sent it back. Pluged it in with my new Musicman and same crap...needless to say it went to the pawn shop shortly after.

• Members

Originally posted by HairBandMan

Legend amps

Hehe - I played through a Legend that I LOVED about 15 - 20 yrs ago. Of course, I was comparing it to the amp I'd used previously......AND NEW..... HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPEEN OF THE BAD TONE WORLD.....

YAMAHA SOLID STATE!

Archived