Another Roland Countdown!

flat earth

• Members

Can't see it. The thing would need three or four MIDI inputs, and racks are largely dead, market-wise.
:(

Shame, racks seem still desirable by some. I would love an up to date 'cheap' 1u (or even half unit) Fantom-G or M3 as a 'bread & Butter' port of call.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm not holding my breath for anything "GOOD". Roland's been sucking pretty hard lately IMO.

Sure they've got some cool new tech, but I'm not gonna buy 5 products @ $2-3k a pop for it. Give me something I can take on the road with some REAL innovation. Take a chance and put more eggs in the same basket! Besides, I don't have the room and hate clutter.

Imagine a Fantom G with V-Piano, VK Organs, The modeled horns from the VP-770 and an updated soundset? THAT would rock! Oh, and for UNDER $4k.

Would NEVER happen!

• Members

The SP line hasn't been updated for a while, since the SP-404

Neither has the V-Drum line, just a ever cheaper kits

Then again, the V-Accordion hasn't been updated either...

The VB-99 (VG-99 for bass) was just introduced last year, so I doubt there'll be another VG product this year.

• Members

I think/hope Roland will do something to compete with the Korg M50, like a stripped down Fantom G. They used to have the Fantom Xa remember. I know they have Juno-G, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a new stage model with "Fantom G sounds"

Also, the FP pianos will probably get updated soon. The update will most likely be largely superficial. "New FP4sx and FP7sx" or some name like that. Yamaha constantly "update" their pianos without changing much (Think P60 to P70 to P85 and also P120 to P140 to P155) so I would expect Roland to follow suit.

I do not expect any V Piano technology to show up elsewhere...yet

• Members

I've always been a Roland guy myself... so I'm hoping for something really cool like the V-Synth or the JV-1080 were...

I wouldn't mind upgrading from Fantom XR to Fantom GR

but what I would really love would be a sequel to the JD-800

a new, fantom-based digital synth with the new ARX expansion capabilities, but also without many menus - sliders and knobs for everything

that would be my next keyboard

or perhaps they'll come out with some "software"??

• Members

When a supermarket or convenience store labels an item "Everyday Low Price!" without actually changing the price, that item will sell significantly more than it did before being tagged.

That idea is somehow related to Roland announcing, "Hey guys, we're coming out with some new stuff later!" but I can't figure out what it is. :confused:

• Members

I was joking regarding the MV, something tells me that product range is end of life. I still would love to see a follow up though.

Yeah. :( The MV is quite possibly the most underrated piece of production gear currently made. It's just plain awesome, and it's a shame Roland hasn't incorporated its many innovations in more gear. The sequencer destroys that in any of their keyboards (or anyone else's keyboards, for that matter), especially with the VGA monitor and mouse.

The Masses: Hey, you made the best controllers ever (A-80, 90, 70). What's next?

Roland: Umm... Novation's SL line is pretty cool. We'll just let them be the best now.

The Masses: Hey, you made the best standalone multitrack studio (VS-2480). What's next?

Roland: Our BRs are fine for most people. I mean, everyone's using computers now anyway. Have you seen our new Cakewalk VS-700? It's only $4200! Plus the price of the computer, of course.

The Masses: Hey, you made the first affordable handheld recorders (R-1, R-09). What's next?

Roland: It's probably easier to just let Zoom kick our ass.

The Masses: Hey, you invented the groovebox (MC-303) and arguably made the best one (MC-909). What's next?

Roland: What about the MC-808? No? Then we give up. Grooveboxes are soooo 2002.

The Masses: Hey, you make the best sampling drum machine and hardware sequencer out there BY FAR (MV-8800). It does things even Logic and Cubase can't. What's next?

Roland: Well, I mean, Akai did the whole thing first. We might as well let them take over again. By the way, have you checked out our digital accordions? They're polka-riffic!

Don't get me wrong

Archived