Another Roland Countdown!

flat earth

• Members

The result isn't a whole lot better than Pianoteq anyways, especially when you factor in the price difference (what you get for what kind of money). As I said, I commend Roland for playability of the keyboard and responsiveness. But in the end, to most people it just doesn't justify the price.

Also, while Pianoteq gets constant updates, I'm skeptical that a lot of those will happen to the V-Piano, not in the leaps that Pianoteq is doing, and will continue to do. When a Roland update is needed, it will be V-Piano 2.0 and a price raise :D

Yeah I know I'm a bit biased, but I can see the leaps Pianoteq will do with ever increasing CPU processing ability. Currently, Pianoteq 3 consumes around 15-18% on an i7 Nehalem when playing full 256 voice polyphony. Imagine what would it do and how would it sound if the algorithm behind was spruced up and detailed enough, that would use more CPU, but ultimatively blow the socks off the V-Piano?

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Someone on another thread here sent me the link about the new Roland products, and it is on that thread that we are trying to work out this:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2412698

The best guess so far is that this keyboard is coming from Roland. It just doesn't seem like a Yamaha or General Music product. Here is the video I am trying to decompile/analyze:

http://www.youtube.com/user/KeyandSynthFreak

I can't believe someone made a controller to drive software that looks like this so I think it is a hardware keyboard.

Rick, who still loves his Prophet 5 rev 2 more than anything!

• Members
What groundbreaking product that's not software-based has been released in the last ten years?
Anything?
Nekos and Receptors obviously don't count.

The Nord Lead, the Yamaha VL-1, Karma... Those are the last ones I can think of. Variphrase and the V-Piano aren't exactly groundbreaking but what else is, ya' know?

The only stuff I get excited over these days is software-based.

And if the new review of the V-Piano in Keyboard magazine is any indication (yeah, yeah, I know

• Members

Not a wish list, not predictions, just a bit more fun and comment:

Updatables include:

MV-8800 / As before expect they will not replace, but would love to see an update. A Slim line replacement that uses an external screen only (for higher rez) and mouse. More power for extra effects and synth engine and good I/O as standard would be nice. Hardware fix/need would be the condition of the cooling fan sucking dirty air over the sliders.

MC-808 / If they gave it an external screen outlet and made it do more complex song structures it would be nice. Plus the usual extra power for more effects etc that an upgrade usually brings. Add a VA synth too.

SP-555 / Not really interested but would not surprise me if they update this unit.

SH-201 / Lets face it the V-Synth GT is great but not everyone wants VariPhrase and especially the new AP Synthesis. The VP-770 shows Roland is willing to strip stuff out and add other features. It would be nice to see a stripped out Synth focused on VA and maybe with a D50 like addition. A step above the SH-201 with a VA as good if not better than the V-Synth, just dumping the variphrase and AP Synthesis. A nice case like the VP-770 would be great. I would not want to see the big colour screen go, but guess it would in such a lesser product. Would also hope they retain a vocoder of some kind.

:wave:

• Members

Interesting point they make about the replacement cycle:

MC-303 96
MC-505 98 (2yrs)
MC-909 2002 (4yrs)
MC-808 2006 (4yrs)
MC-??? 2010?

MV-8000 2003
MV-8800 2007 (4yrs)
MV-???? 2011?

Most think the MV8800 was more of a forced upgrade due to non lead solder laws, so if finally replaced may be sooner than some think.

:wave:

• Members

Roland AX Synth keytar rack version :cop:

Oh and AX Synth being too big? I thought so too at first, but it didn't when it was in front of me and I held it for a minute. Maybe u need to be of certain height. (I'm 5'10"). I just hated the colour though

• Members

The result isn't a whole lot better than Pianoteq anyways, especially when you factor in the price difference (what you get for what kind of money). As I said, I commend Roland for playability of the keyboard and responsiveness. But in the end, to most people it just doesn't justify the price.

If you're curious, here's a link to the Keyboard magazine review. They do a very short comparison between Pianoteq and the V-Piano at the bottom of the page. Note that despite the $6000 price tag, it still gets a Key Buy award.

That said, I'm not gonna buy a V-Piano anytime soon ($$$). Of course, I'm not its market.

• Members

If you're curious,
's a link to the Keyboard magazine review. They do a very short comparison between Pianoteq and the V-Piano at the bottom of the page. Note that despite the $6000 price tag, it still gets a Key Buy award.

That said, I'm not gonna buy a V-Piano anytime soon ($$$). Of course, I'm not its market.

Roland did nail the V piano pretty good, gotta wait couple yea... decades for the price to drop enough. I am waiting for them to do as good on the other COSM FX, which are still lacking "speaker sim" "cought".

• Members

I'd still love to see a sampling drum machine/sequencer/groovebox similar to the Virus TI - something with easy computer integration but still runs standalone if you want/need it to. No one seems to be interested in making grooveboxes anymore though :(

• Members

Younz guyz are brutal! As a certified Roland fanboy, I am quite pleased with my Roland JD990, XV5080, Fantom X7 and V-Synth GT.

Roland has released a number of innovative products since the glory days of the 80s Jupiter/Juno/D-50 keyboards. The JD-990 has fantastic filters and the V-Synth is a programmer's dream.

BTW, I am also a Waldorf fanboy too.

• Members

ok i sent my roland v synth to an experienced keyboard technician, the problem with my v synth knobs has something to do with the IC controller chip or something. He says it's a common problem with many today's rolands, and the problem may come back in a year or two

Archived