New M-Audio "Venom" Synth (aka the Gus Viper)

k2500x

• Members

That little bird does not know when to stop... first thing in the morning waking me up.... :mad:

The M-Audio Venom 49-key synthesizer combines the character of classic analog synths with modern digital processing to deliver an aggressive, infectious new sound. Easily tweak parameters from the intuitive top-panel interface, or explore endless sound design and configuration possibilities with the included software editor.

Perform bass lines, leads, and more with a full-size keyboard designed to satisfy serious players. You can even use Venom as an audio interface with Pro Tools M-Powered* and other music software.

For even more sound-shaping possibilities, the Venom resonant multimode filter features 12dB/octave (2-pole) and 24dB/octave (4-pole) operation, with tube saturation limiting on the input for that classic overdriven sound. Each voice also sports three LFOs with selectable sample-and-hold to create evolving, rhythmic sounds

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have to say that all in all it's looking like an interesting year. Between Korg, DSI, Arturia, and M-Audio, there's something for just about everybody. And Venom sounds pretty nice. I really like the looks of that software editor, and 49 keys was a good call. :thu::thu:

• Members

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, there's a Gus Viper also being announced at NAMM
:lol:

DEAR SANTA, my list for this year: Kronos, Tempest and the Gus Viper. kthxbye
:thu:

I've also noticed that manufacturers are moving away from "Letter-Number" naming (M3, G6, D50, DX7), which is boring, and going with cool animistic/elemental names like Venom, Tempest, and Kronos.

I like it.

Before I leave this earth, I want to own a synth named after every constellation, planet, deity, weather catastrophe, and poison-spewing creature known to man.

• Members

I think it's interesting people were commenting on the Venom being some sort of competitor to the Virus (even some of the copy suggested as much). Yet they chose TCM as spokespeople (who used the Lead famously) and this has built in tube saturation and distortion right where you need it... hmmmmmmmmmm

verrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy interesting.

Nazi-Laugh-In.png

• Members

Damn cool idea with the bitcrusher, I've always wanted to see that in a synth (it's really the only way to make a digital instrument sound warm and alive). I never liked VAs because they all sound so clean and sterile but TBH, listening to the demos on the website and from what the video showed, this thing actually sounds real neat and unlike any other VA I've ever heard.

• Members

no convinced on the sound as yet...

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=products.main&ID=b5802db3183b67097540183d9bc6d88e

where's me analogue basses!!!!

so far distorted, crunchy/nastyness..which maybe exactly what your after!

best so far is noise lead, resemble, ...but that's a basic VA sound imo

stingray is okayish but weak too...multi 000

bass demos>> err no.

lead demo's... ...not my cuppa tea at all!

so far...imho

it's lacks knobs and has no balls.

a tetra walks all over this in sounds for me.

it's cheap for a multi va synth though...i'd get blofeld keyboard instead for the sounds i'm looking for...more versitle

i'd agree it does have it's own sound...and some of the fx sounds are good.

to add it to a set up it may bring something 'new'

from all the demo's i'd say the synth has a angry, thin metal/distorted/over driven edge to it's 'sound'

• Members

So no one tried it yet? The price looks good with given features, just afraid to be disappointed that it could turn out as another "play&forget" synths out there.. Should I admit I like m audio products, and do own quite a few, but 1 thing always puts me off, is their marketing strategy and the way they introduce their products, for me its waaaay toooo commercial, as id they are advertising new lap top, or 3d home cinema television.... Anyways, waiting to get "first off reviews" as am interested in grabbin one of those.

• Members

I listened to the demos on the M-Audio site right now. The sounds are pretty good. I would say that this is definitely a very nice low-priced synth, in fact surprisingly nice given the price. Sweetwater has it listed as in stock already at $499. I like the fact that M-Audio has tried to create a VA that has a different sound character and includes a sound editor and a built-in audio interface. The synth definitely competes quite effectively with Novation's Ultranova, which seems to be occupying the same market segment. Some of the distorted sounds remind me more of a Waldorf synth, and the main performance controls area of the front panel has the same sort of vibe as a Blofeld. I have no interest personally, but I would definitely try this out if I were in the market for a lower-priced synth.

• Members
no convinced on the sound as yet...

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=products.main&ID=b5802db3183b67097540183d9bc6d88e

where's me analogue basses!!!!

so far distorted, crunchy/nastyness..which maybe exactly what your after!

best so far is noise lead, resemble, ...but that's a basic VA sound imo

stingray is okayish but weak too...multi 000

bass demos>> err no.

lead demo's... ...not my cuppa tea at all!

so far...imho

it's lacks knobs and has no balls.

a tetra walks all over this in sounds for me.

it's cheap for a multi va synth though...i'd get blofeld keyboard instead for the sounds i'm looking for...more versitle

i'd agree it does have it's own sound...and some of the fx sounds are good.

to add it to a set up it may bring something 'new'

from all the demo's i'd say the synth has a angry, thin metal/distorted/over driven edge to it's 'sound'

Probably to my cost, I shy away from the edgier sounds too. I think this synth really will appeal to teens in part due to price and in part due to it sounding fashionable, as the guy said in the video, your gonna hear this all over the radio..

I think this will take a lot of the NU market.. especially as the NU is single timber (what were they thinking)...

The NU is aimed at a different sector though, so it will sell too... NU will probably bring out more synths in any case...

:wave:

• Members

well you already have the GAIA and that's more your thing anyway.. I don't think it's a teenaged thing perse, but I like it because it's a break away from the all things to all people mentality that we've seen with most synths up until now.

Radio? I dunno.. maybe some metal band will use it, but I dont see it being picked up in the way the microkorg was.

I do particularly like that sort of sound as well though :idk:

• Members

well you already have the GAIA and that's more your thing anyway.. I don't think it's a teenaged thing perse, but I like it because it's a break away from the all things to all people mentality that we've seen with most synths up until now.

Radio? I dunno.. maybe some metal band will use it, but I dont see it being picked up in the way the microkorg was.

I
do
particularly like that sort of sound as well though
:idk:

was that a Typo?

Archived