New M-Audio "Venom" Synth (aka the Gus Viper)

k2500x

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Nick suggests one OSC model is the ''HP, Hewlett Packard 200CD - 1952 test oscilator''

0005threeqtr.jpg

The Stockhausen One - Frequency Modulation Synthesizer (Hewlett-Packard) by Chris Aquilo may have met it's match if true ..... LOL

• Members

Nick also says:

''The marketing speak has been all about the edgy, aggressive sound - as a rule, you should ingore that kind of rhetoric. But in all fairness, they pretty much nailed it. Raw oscillator waves have plenty of sonic depth, I hesitate to use the word, but in this case I think fat is called for. A savage OSC sync and Ring Mod feature gives more bite.

Waves are taken from a variety sources:

MG - Moog Model D, RP- Arp 2600 Greyface, AL - Alesis Fusion, JX - Roland JX8-P, SH - Roland SH-5, MS - Korg MS-20, OB - Oberheim SEM, PB - Plan B Model 15, TB - TB 303, HP, Hewlett Packard 200CD - 1952 test oscilator, DP - X wave Doepfer A-137, Bit Wave - Harvestman Zorlon Cannon.

There are also a few multi-sampled kits - the TR909, 808 and DR55, plus an FM kit. These sound pretty good and form the basis of many of the groove patterns.

Non Step Filter

The multimode filter is a real treat - although there is only one, clearly this only child has had a very happy upbringing with lots of love lavished on it by the designer Taiho Yamada (Alesis Fusion, Andromeda). Firstly the resolution is 8-bit - correction 10-bit, that means 1024 steps which translates to a very smooth sweep - no noticable stepping. When combined with say a MG Saw wave (Moog Model D) the results are about as analog as I

• Members

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2011/03/07/sonic-lab-m-audio-venom-sounds/

Demo of presets here. The distorted sounds are dated and you can't always judge a synth by it's presets, but just as an overview of the possibilities it's not bad at all. I still can't abide by the software, but I expect this to sell well enough and I hope to get a version 2 or XL version with a better UI. Also, man, the sounds in sample pack advertisement that runs first are bad. Clicked play without looking and :puke:

Just going by my assumptions of how this will appeal to their target market, I think Novation(slightly less) and Roland are in big trouble, which is too bad because more options is always good. On the other hand it could drive prices down, but I think the margins might become unappealing. And, hey I could be wrong, but is the Venom the only one that does FM?:shock:

Archived