New M-Audio "Venom" Synth (aka the Gus Viper)

k2500x

• Members

I saw that, it's a ROMpler
:lol:

I mean, it sounds good, but like you said in the bass section especially, it probably won't be as good as it could be.

But the real deal breaker is, you can't program it without a computer. So I'm keeping the SH-201 once again
:wave:

They have a lot of famous OSC's to choose from and it should allow some good analog patches..

Agreed not a 201 replacement as that has it's own sound..

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wonder how well it will do traditional analog synth emulations.

Everything so far seems to have that edgy/distorted/midrangey sound - I know that's what they were going for tho.

Time will tell....

Do visit the M Audio page as they have allot of the sounds...

• Members

Can anybody tell me how the keyboard
feels
on this?

BIIIG concern. M-Audio's controllers thus far have been borderline unplayable. Just utterly terrible quality.

Oh, and btw Carbon, I've actually scraped together the funds for a Nord Wave finally. I'm now between choosing the Blofeld and Wave. The main point of contention between the two is Interface vs Architecture. I love the Blofeld's "Virus-esque" architecture. On the other side of the coin I REALLY love the Wave's interface and software sample editor. The Blofeld's sample editor is bad. Just bad. Seems only equipped to set up one shot samples. The Nord's has looping, multi-layering, the works.

Anyway, are you still cool with me stopping by and giving it a test run? I'd love to try a couple of the sample libraries out too, as I hopefully will be able to use the Piano from the sample library at least for the odd live piano bit. Don't want to take up the whole day for you or anything though, depending on how fast various libraries can load....

• Members

This sounds surprisingly cool, a lot more interesting than i thought it would. Very grungy. Not sure i'd have a use for that kind of sound, but it's definitely something different to the Ultranova and the other cheapy VAs.

It sounds surprisingly gimmicky to me. lofi and 8 bit sh#t (charming as that is) is definitely a fad and fads are coming and going quicker than ever. I have a daunting feeling that the whole synth is not available from the front panel - something in the way our guest says "create your patches and UNPLUG it and go!" I'm too overwhelmed by trying to keep up with NAMM to read everything on it.

However, I do not think on the other hand that the ultranova is "cheapy". I havent played one (have you?) but the key bed is the same as Novations very solid feeling controllers. As for the sound, its set up to be shaped by the user in a quick manner with some novel tweaking, quite good effects, 6 EGs (!) 3 LFOs, some interesting oscillators and the ability to modulate mod sources... so if you read this, can you tell me why you think it is cheap? (I'm assuming you mean the build or the sound quality is cheap, as the nova is $200 more expensive than the Viper or whatever)

• Members

^^ i just meant cheap as in sub-$1000. I think the only new stuff out there right now is Ultranova, Gaia, Blofeld and now the Venom. I like that this has its own sound. The demos of the Ultranova seemed very bland to me, whereas this really stands out as unique to my ears. Like i said, i don't know if it's a sound i could use, but it's cool they went with something different.

• Members

The Venom looks like a good starter synth, if you want SYNTH sounds. So, the next time some poor geetarist comes here saying, "i want some synth textures", I'm going to suggest the Gus Viper. (I asked Gus when they were gonna give it its proper name, but he said legal obligations, blah, blah, blah and I didn't hear the rest. So that means they'll announce the new name next week. :lol:

I have a daunting feeling that the whole synth is not available from the front panel - something in the way our guest says "create your patches and UNPLUG it and go!" I'm too overwhelmed by trying to keep up with NAMM to read everything on it.

"Daunting Feeling"? :lol:

I've already mentioned that indeed, the programming of the patches can only be done with the software editor.

You can modify them partially and save such changes right from the keyboard, but the actual deep editing occurs only via software.

I know this may not satisfy everyone out there, but... what does? :)

• Members
"Daunting Feeling"?

I've already mentioned that indeed, the programming of the patches can only be done with the software editor.

You can modify them partially and save such changes right from the keyboard, but the actual deep editing occurs only via software.

I know this may not satisfy everyone out there, but... what does?
:)

at least weighted keys would have done.. but none of them either. :(

• Members

"Daunting Feeling"?

I know this may not satisfy everyone out there, but... what does?
:)

What?! :arg:

I now formally petition that it be renamed the "Gus Garden Snake" and the "M-Audio - Irritating Snake Bite "because it is fangless!

:D

• Members

so far all the audio demo's seem to be around the sound a of a synth put thru a distortion pedal...very depech mode type nasty sounds...

if indeed it HAS the waves from classic synths i'd like to hear them in action with thumping FATT basslines and delicate synth sequences...my guess is the demo's so far are trying to give the Venom a stand out for the crowd sound...i'd like to hear if this super synth engine is any match at all for a DSI mopho or tetra.

the marketing and deep editing pages suggests it's very powerful..let's hear it...i'm hopeful it's not a one trick pony for 8bit crunchy overdriven stuff only.

• Members

I got a nice overview of the Venom yesterday from its designer, Taiko Yamada. Real nice dude. He said that since it's a VA and VA architectures are basically the same across vendors, he wanted the Venom to sound different. Well, it DOES sound different, with a lot of focus on the crunchy, in-your-face presets. I saw the wave list, though and it DOES have classic waves in it, along with many flavors of filters, so... if you want Moog-ish bass stuff, it can probably do it. If there was such a patch in there, I don't find it.

Architecturally, this thing is aimed squarely at the Ion and the like.

• Members

do you think it has a Lead inclination or is it just something else all together?

Well... I can't answer that, since I'm wholly unfamiliar with the Leads. But I'm pretty sure the main target is entry-level VA, with the added bonus of audio interface. I saw it has a set of old-school MIDI ports on the back, too, so add MIDI interface to that as well.

• Members

I do like that this is a portable synth that makes noise from it's hardware.

That said, it sounds like 100 free synths I've downloaded and played with over a few years. That's not meant bad, it's just that I have that sound covered already. Laptop plus USB kybd and I'm portable too.

Archived