New M-Audio "Venom" Synth (aka the Gus Viper)

k2500x

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

He mentioned the pot for filter sweep was 8 bit giving 1024 steps IE very smooth... Hmmm There are 256 possible values for 8 bits it would need 10 for 1024... forgive me if I misheard him but he recons it sounds smooth anyway...

That explains why I had to turn the pot so far to completely wind out the filter -- i.e. the fact that it had so many steps. It actually was very smooth, although you can't do fast sweeps with it, either. It's a minor quibble, but I wish they had made the knobs a little fatter.

It sounds like a great little synth, and at $399 it's worth getting just for the USB controller and audio interface, with the synth as a nice bonus.

• Members

Nick played the synth on the pod cast.. have to say to UK tastes so I was even more impressed albeit on a compressed pod cast live...

Funny, one guest mentioned another synth idea I had that I try to keep quiet... the ideas in my head are leaking LOL... I guess somethings are more obvious than you realise, but this guy does software and has hardware made so you never know we may see a .... oops saying nowt again... LOL

• Members

Nick played the synth on the pod cast.. have to say to UK tastes so I was even more impressed albeit on a compressed pod cast live...

Funny, one guest mentioned another synth idea I had that I try to keep quiet... the ideas in my head are leaking LOL... I guess somethings are more obvious than you realise, but this guy does software and has hardware made so you never know we may see a .... oops saying nowt again... LOL

When is the Video review?

• Members

Guys FYI; if you are going to get one and if you do not have loyalty to a particular music store or chain, I would advise that you buy that thing from Musician's Friend ASAP before they change it. I have a feeling that $399 is a misprint. MF makes those kinds of mistakes a lot but wind up honoring the price. Same with Guitar Center.

Guys FYI; if you are going to get one and if you do not have loyalty to a particular music store or chain, I would advise that you buy that thing from Musician's Friend ASAP before they change it. I have a feeling that $399 is a misprint. MF makes those kinds of mistakes a lot but wind up honoring the price. Same with Guitar Center.

Oh wow... it is still $499 at sweetwater.

• Members

Looks like Nick cut out the bit on the Gus Viper. He was had lost the conference connection with his guests so started playing and talking about the synth while everything booted back. I guess it was not planned. So you will all have to wait his formal review

• Members

Wow, musician's friend took it off their site completely. I wonder if musician's friend monitors this place. I noticed the deal in a catalog I got the other day. So if you call them up say you saw it in the catalog it might work. The deal is still out there on another site too.... I hate that I want to get it just because there seems to be a good deal, rather than it being something I need.

Archived