New M-Audio "Venom" Synth (aka the Gus Viper)

k2500x

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Why does this fit THIS thread? Giving the untalented tools to be amazing without any effort ends up making pathetic music.

I agree with just about everything you said, however the danger is in people misunderstanding what you mean by this last quote. It depends what these cheap tools exactly are.

More and cheaper musical instruments is not the danger - in fact this is what we need. That includes a piece like the M-Audio Venom.

More and cheaper DAWs and production software is really the 600 pound gorilla in the room.

• Members

wow good stuff up there, Chip! I'm not really against cheap cool gear, I'm against our society that is too afraid to say, "no, you fail, stop it".

Tiger Woods is very talented at Golf (just an example). If they made special clubs and hole seeking balls for the everyman that made everyone hit holes in one ALL THE TIME, think how the game would suck. Heck, most SPORTS are designed to weed out the losers... in music the losers are on an even playing field. AND given airplay. haha

• Members

Timeline of talent:

- cavemen make flutes, and play 3 notes (or something. I'm kinda making all this up as I go for a point)

it's the first music, this the POP hits of the time

- people with white wigs make multi layered orchestra music for kings, it's the POP hits of the time

and requires KNOWLEDGE of music to create something good and interesting to entertain kings

- bands shrink down from 90 piece orchestra to 4 pieces, yet the players can still PLAY songs all the way

through, knowing the notes fit together and having the talent to PLAY the instrument

- multi track recording is invented and now said bands can share their songs with everyone. but

they still have to play them to record them. access was limited to only the most skilled.

- computers start taking over doing everything and digital recording is given to everyone so

even tone deaf people lacking rhythm can make "music" making them feel like they are amazing

thanks to quantitization/autotune. they don't know anything about music except how to loop a beat and

rip off other artists that know how to piece together notes in a fashion to form music. instead,

the new breed Cuts and Pastes and it is done. No playing a musical instrument, no knowing music.

the end result shows the slop, the lack of talent, the poor workmanship.

Would you enjoy food in a fine restaurant made by some guy calling himself a "cook" that didn't know

ANYTHING about cooking? Would you want your brain operated on guy calling himself a "neuro surgeon"

that didn't know ANYTHING about brains or surgery? Do you take your car to the LEAST KNOWLEDGEABLE

mechanic you can find? Do you want a handy man with zero skills working on your house?

Do you want talentless people making music? I don't.

I feel rap was the beginning of the end as far as pop "music" goes or the redefinition there of. Instead of

making a glorious, melodic celebration of life, which is where real music originated from all the way back to

those cavemen, rappers yell about their fake lives and all the bad things that happen. "Music" takes

a back seat to "Aggression" as a form of entertainment.

True, every generation feels the up and coming generation is getting worse and worse, but most will

right that off as "Bah, they are just old fashioned". In truth, it IS getting worse and worse.

music is reduced to a repeating drum machine pattern (that does nothing interesting), a single note

bass line, and some guy yelling as aggressively as possible about killing cops or beating women.

At some point in the future we will just be listening to STATIC and calling it music.

At what point does music cease to be "music"? Many will claim Art is a personal perspective, but I say

replace the football with a golf ball and it is no longer the game of Football. Same with music and art. Take away

the required talent and skills, the melody, the celebration of life... replaced with no talent needed, no

more melody or interesting alignment of notes, a celebration of depravity and negativity... and the "Music"

is gone. The chemical make up has changed completely and it is no longer what it used to be.

Yes, pop music has always been close to empty headed, but at least it was MUSICAL in it's path.

Now the hits require the F word to be interesting. And much I hear is more like random production

experiments than well thought out compositions.

I guess I consider talent the people that still create music and not noise. Maybe one could even

guage music and talent by that which will play over MUZAK in the future. I can pretty much guarantee

rap will not be on that menu. One was that one famouse song from 5 years ago? Oh that's right

they don't play it anymore because it was worthless and disposable. Yet new radio stations pop up all the

time play all the older songs (the ones that were musical) because people don't want to hear worthless

and disposable after the age of 14.

Why does this fit THIS thread? Giving the untalented tools to be amazing without any effort ends up

making pathetic music.

teal deer.

translation for the impatient: "kids get off my lawn!"

there has been crap, hacky music in every generation

"whatever happened to boogie-woogie?"

"It got what it deserved."

• Members

I wish I could be that hip. I know that blogs are a big thing and a lot of people follow them with fervor, but I have yet to meet one that I didn't feel was a complete waste of both my time and the writer's. To me the whole blog concept reeks of the arrogant delusion that other people want to hear what I have to say.

I just use Hype Machine on Songbird, find a few bloggers whose taste agrees with me and follow them. its easy! Record stores are great too, so underrated now. what's left of them. I don't miss Virgin and HMV, Tower maybe as they actually seem to have had back catalogue shtuff until the end.

You're just rubbing it in now. ESPECIALLY frustrating since you know none of us will be at NAMM.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
:evil:

Oh well, that is kinda true, but I know at least a couple of forumites who are attending NAMM this year :)

They could let us know their impressions about the entire show, because I'm being stuck at my booth all the time. Not that I'm complaining, it is a lot of fun!

• Members

Oh well, that is kinda true, but I know at least a couple of forumites who are attending NAMM this year
:)
They could let us know their impressions about the entire show, because I'm being stuck at my booth all the time. Not that I'm complaining, it is a lot of fun!

EP may be there to do a show report and vids... lets hope so... have fun guys ;-)

• Members

teal deer.

translation for the impatient: "kids get off my lawn!"

there has been crap, hacky music in every generation

"whatever happened to boogie-woogie?"

"It got what it deserved."

so... you were unable to understand anything I wrote?

• Members

They could let us know their impressions about the entire show, because I'm being stuck at my booth all the time.

True story - back in the 90's, a major sound card manufacturer (Company X) flew me to Las Vegas, put me up in a suite for three days, and gave me a free pass to the COMDEX show (this was an impossible ticket back in the day). In exchange, they asked me to go around to all of their competitors' booths to see what was being said about Company X's new line of products. I could do this because I had no known association with Company X.

While at COMDEX, I observed that the biggest sound card company of them all (Company Z) was using my original MIDI compositions (without permission) to launch their new line of cards. They had stripped out my name, email, and copyright info from the track names in the MIDI files. I subsequently contacted Company Z (their general counsel insisted that they'd found the files that way and didn't know who to contact for permission). Regardless, they settled with me for cash and prizes.

I've never been to NAMM (and don't anticipate being there), but if you do see me, Gus, rest assured that I no longer in the corporate espionage business. But I am sure someone is. :)

I've never been to NAMM (and don't anticipate being there), but if you do see me, Gus, rest assured that I no longer in the corporate espionage business. But I am sure someone is.
:)

Hola!

Don't worry, with threads like this one it is clear that having people doing corporate espionage -in person- is not necessary :D ... And well, I simply don't care if that happens at NAMM; we're exhibiting products at there, not current / future developments :)

It would be nice to meet you, man!

E-Pup: You MUST go to say "hola" :mad:

• Members

so... you were unable to understand anything I wrote?

no, it was too long, ranty and tiresome to read all the way through and you sound like a cranky old person. damn kids with their baggy pants and hippity-hoppity music.

go listen to what pop music ppl were actually listening to in 1986 or 1957 or 1929 and tell me there isnt a load of crap there too. because there is. there's even {censored}e classical.

• Members

When some people hear "Yamaha," they think Motorcycles.
They make some fantastic controllers and they have a reputation to lose. I'm at least open to the reality they could turn out a good synth.

Yamaha CEO Pleased With Current Production Of Jet Skis, Alto Saxophones, Snowmobiles, Power Generators, Scooters, Golf Carts

September 4, 2009 | ISSUE 45

• Members

Rumor has it the chap that did the fusion helped design this.. given the source I could translate that into the team that helped do patches for the fusion post release helped on this which is very differnt.. anyways that's what I heard today...

Plus its double take cheap.... (price)... so they say...

Archived