New M-Audio "Venom" Synth (aka the Gus Viper)

k2500x

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

yeah, right no, yeah, because you know, I promised not to not tell anyone, right?

Well, yah. But that's just one of those things that people say. Then they tell their wives and best friends and random people on internet forums. So after you tell your wife and best friend, I'll expect a PM. :)

• Members

I think this is all a conspiracy. wwwjd was hired by Gus to do his job here [propaganda about how good venom is]. I mean look at wwwjd's post count: 2,727 and he only joined KSS last week? I don't think so.

I think M-Audio should should give Gus a non-venomous synth as a career bonus and fire him for [synth]ethic violations [Roland is accepting applications according to McHale]. As for wwwjd, he should be banned from this forum for 11.9 years for not revealing to us what he knows about what Gus knew.

• Members

I wouldn't get too crazy about it without actually seeing and hearing it. When I think "synths" I don't ever think "M-Audio".

Agreed, but then again, M-Audio has been selling enough USB controllers, audio interfaces, and studio monitors over the years that they've got the capital (and likely the expertise) to possibly pull something off that's interesting. In any event, I'm hopeful. I remember thinking that I'd never like a synth made by Alesis, and then along came the Andromeda.

Given M-Audio's strengths (audio interfaces, USB controllers), maybe they'll make something like the Ultranova, but different. I just hope it has 49 keys or more. Enough with the 25 key synths.

• Members

100% aspirational signal path

It has Grillz as standard

It will be blessed by Gus at Winter NAMM 2011

Vegas effect

Apple Colour Couture

The Mod wheel has red warning triangles

The knobs are knobby

We can't go wrong with this one I'm tell'n ya ;)

• Members

i'm very curious to see what 'new/fresh/inspiring/unique' something this will bring to the table. i'd be a bit surprised if it were anything more than a run-of-the-mill VA, as far as synthesis features go. also, M-Audio doesn't seem to have such a great track record as far as build quality and customer service, but maybe they're improving in those areas.

• Members

In any event, I'm hopeful. I remember thinking that I'd never like a synth made by Alesis, and then along came the Andromeda.

I see no reason to be hopeful about a new product. Either it's something I need/could use, or it isn't. Actually I thought Alesis had a winner as far back as their QS ROMplers, 'cause it dropped all the sequencer BS and brought usefully musical samples/patches and good hardware to gigging musicians on a budget - and did it on a relevant time-frame. That's why they were selling more ROMplers in the U.S. than the big 3 for a few years in the 90s. A controller keyboard with a few knobs and built-in VA 15 years into the game is kind of 'too little too late' for my tastes. But I wish them luck anyway.

• Members

I see no reason to be hopeful about a new product. Either it's something I need/could use, or it isn't. Actually I thought Alesis had a winner as far back as their QS ROMplers, 'cause it dropped all the sequencer BS and brought usefully musical samples/patches and good hardware to gigging musicians on a budget - and did it on a relevant time-frame. That's why they were selling more ROMplers in the U.S. than the big 3 for a few years in the 90s. A controller keyboard with a few knobs and built-in VA 15 years into the game is kind of 'too little too late' for my tastes. But I wish them luck anyway.

I think it's interesting, though, that they have Ken Jordan and Scott Kirkland of Crystal Method giving a testimonial ahead of the product's release. I can't imagine them as lying corporate shills for M-Audio -- though I'm sure stranger things have happened in this business.

The thing that impresses me about M-Audio -- and what makes me guardedly hopeful about this release -- is the fact that M-Audio has cultivated a reputation as a company that can put out pretty solid products at just a notch below the performance of top-tier products by their competitors ... for about half the price.

If they put out an 8 part, 32 voice synth with 3 osc/voice, 49 keys, decent filters, lots of knobs, and a built-in audio interface for $599 retail ($100 less out the door), they'll sell a bunch of them.

I'm also willing to bet it'll be a heavily computer-integrated product, which could be interesting depending on what they do.

• Members

I can't imagine them as lying corporate shills

That's exactly how they come across in every video ive seen them in. :lol: I dont know whose who, but the "lead" one, the one that talks all the time, he's too hard to believe on camera. Every spot and interview I see him in he's sounds real cold and vague. Especially in gear spots, he sounds like he hasn't even used whatever it is: "oh it's great, it's got knobs on it, you plug it in, oh yea we use it every day." If I were m-audio i'd spend a penny on warming up his on screen analog by getting them some acting lessons.

That being said, M-Audio has been good to me through their gear. Never an issue. If I ever need anything, I see what they have first and then check out the competition. So at least they have a reputation going for them.

• Members

This is interesting to me precisely because they've never done a synth before, not in spite of it. Whatever it is, it won't be yet another recycled product like practically everything else released over the last several years.

Go get 'em M-Audio :thu:

• Members

This is interesting to me precisely because they've never done a synth before, not in spite of it. Whatever it is, it won't be yet another recycled product like practically everything else released over the last several years.

Right, it won't be a recycled product, but it will be a recycled idea. Again if we make the 90s comparison of the QS6/7/8 to the M/T/01W, EX, or JV lines, then how they fare against the big boys will depend on price point and what they deliver compared to the competition. Because the same logic would follow, "why would I buy a synth from Alesis, an FX company?" - unless the price was too good to resist. If they want to sell in numbers they'll have to undercut the price on GAIA, R3, Ultranova, Xiosynth, et al.

Archived