Orange conglomerate.

duncan

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Both have 4 gain stages (so they're equal at this point)... if anything I'd say the RV50 will have more distortion. The RV50 is going to get some powertube breakup before the RV100... pair that with the gain dimed and you have some thick creamy distortion going on. So unless you have any need to dime a 100w amp, I'd say the 50 should get the job done.

Actually, I think the RV 100 def. has a more gain sound. It has a more modern metal sound imo.The RV 50 combo was a more classic rock tone. I know they have the same gain stages, so it must be the tubes. My other guitarist had the RV 50 combo and he said mine sounds more modern and gainy. I'd have to agree with him, based on what I heard. He eventually traded in the RV 50 combo for the RV 100 head.

• Members

Actually, I think the RV 100 def. has a more gain sound. It has a more modern metal sound imo.The RV 50 combo was a more classic rock tone. I know they have the same gain stages, so it must be the tubes. My other guitarist had the RV 50 combo and he said mine sounds more modern and gainy. I'd have to agree with him, based on what I heard. He eventually traded in the RV 50 combo for the RV 100 head.

Yeah, I guess it must be the power tubes then. With the 50 your limited to the 6V6's or EL34's... I know the 100 is the tighter of the two so it makes sense that it has a more modern gainy sound.

I own the RV50 combo and I have to agree... it does the classic rock thing really well! I went with the Rockerverb because I wanted the versatily. I have no need for modern metal tones and I thought it would be overkill having that much gain on tap but it really isn't.

Any way, I'm going to change the topic up a little bit but I need some advice. I know it's just GAS but I'm really thinking about trading the RV50 in for an OR50. The only problem is I love the sound of my Strat with the RV and I've never heard the OR50 with a strat... none of the shops in my area have the OR50 either so I can't walk in and try it out myself. Does anyone have any experience with the OR50? Does it flatter single coils as well as the RV50? Which is the better amp at reasonable volumes (in other words... is the OR50 something that needs to be run loud before you're getting decent tones?). Any insight would be appreciated!

• Members

im kinda looking at the OR50 as well. judging from the vids, until i can actually demo one, both are ok at low volumes. i happen to LOVE the sound of EL34s and single coils, but thats me. especially on the neck/mid position. the old school 50's would have to be cranked to sound good, but the master on the OR50 sounds quite good, i heard it on the youtube demo last night. plus its got a nice boost at the top of the presence knob. killer amp. the RV may be a bit more versatile, but that OR roars. up to you.

• Members

Yeah, I guess it must be the power tubes then. With the 50 your limited to the 6V6's or EL34's... I know the 100 is the tighter of the two so it makes sense that it has a more modern gainy sound.

I own the RV50 combo and I have to agree... it does the classic rock thing really well! I went with the Rockerverb because I wanted the versatily. I have no need for modern metal tones and I thought it would be overkill having that much gain on tap but it really isn't.

Any way, I'm going to change the topic up a little bit but I need some advice. I know it's just GAS but I'm really thinking about trading the RV50 in for an OR50. The only problem is I love the sound of my Strat with the RV and I've never heard the OR50 with a strat... none of the shops in my area have the OR50 either so I can't walk in and try it out myself. Does anyone have any experience with the OR50? Does it flatter single coils as well as the RV50? Which is the better amp at reasonable volumes (in other words... is the OR50 something that needs to be run loud before you're getting decent tones?). Any insight would be appreciated!

i dunno i have the head version of the RV50 and a 2x12 V30 avatar (until i get a ppc412) i can definitely squeeze modern metal tones out of it. i keep my gain on about 3 o'clock with my SG and 2 o'clock with the pRS with BKP's and it's metal as hell. if i go past 3 0'clock i'm pushing modern metal meltdown. i wonder if there is any difference between the combo and the head? i know the combo tubes take a massive beating from the fact they are upside down and get constantly barraged by the speakers. hmmm. i'm a head and cab man myself and have never heard the combo so i can only theorize that there may be a difference.

• Members

i dont think theres that large of one tbh. they both rock.

saw an AD30 ina citon last night WITH A BEER ON IT!!!!! :cop::cop::cop:

it even got knocked over! but it was empty at that point. but it knocked over right onto the top vent. i was about to confiscate that {censored}....

sounded good though. guy had it micd through the Pa, although he didnt need to.

• Members

I was considering trading the Orange I've been working on for something else (like a Fender '65 Twin Reverb reissue), but now I've got it all tweaked as I like it, it sounds so good that I'm keeping it.

It's not what I expected at all from an Orange, the cleans on this thing are killer, as are the reverb and tremolo. I haven't had the chance to really crank it yet but I can't wait :D

• Members

i was gonna say. you better not EVER trade that to ANYBODY. but me of course. you have a true gem on your hands, please dont {censored} that up. :)

srsly. please. if you ever want to get rid of it, talk to me. ;)

• Members

Yeah its hard to find out information about these amps, but the more I find out, the more I realise that they're pretty much impossible to get hold of, and they're considered one of the nicest sounding cleans to come out of a british amp.

I intend to hold onto it for a LONG time now :thu:

• Members

yes i {censored}ing did, and im pissed.
A) they released after i bought two
B) they halfed the damned prices!!!! so i got stuck paying like $60 a pop for two FS when i could have paid...waht....$34 now?.....for the double!!?!?! grrrr.... good for everyone else though :) but how does that thing work? i asked chappers about it and he had no idea. does it have two cables? or two jacks? hmmm....

my problem with my thunderverb got worse. im scared. might be a bad preamp valve, but i fear it could be worse. luckilly my local shop is an authorized orange tech center and im still under warranty. heres the deal:

each channel works perfectly, provided the other channel's volume is completely zero. if while channel A is engaged, i move channel B's volume away from 0 even just a tad, "squuuuuuueeeeeeealllllll" that gets louder with the volume knob. same goes vice versa. the amp will squeal if the disengaged channel has any sort of value coming off the master.

WTF

• Members

same here i bought one (the guy who sold me the head already had one). but the price on the double is $46 + $6 s&h on the orange site i haven't seen anyone else carrying them yet. if you knw of a place online let me know.

the double switch is basically the same as having 2 seperate switches. it has two jacks and you use a seperate cable for each jack. so essentially, they just smased two footswitches together.

hopefully you get the TV sorted.

• Members

so i had to send the TV50 to georgia for orange to work on it. :( so shes in teh somehwat capable hands, insured of course, of UPS. in fact she was delivered today. orange was super cool about it, they jsut emailed me a shipping sticker paid and insured, ot bring to the UPS store. just slapped it on the flight case and off it went. apparently the problem was so strange and unheard of they wante dto take a look as sort of a science experiement. i have a local authroized orange tech, but i do feel better about them doing work on it than the local guy, if its that strange a problem. anyway....

rig pic!! this is what roused teh neighbours and cops the other night. damn appartment buildings...
0924082225.jpg

and after i had to send my baby down south, this is what i have been using. and yes, the epi VJ KILLS through those. ending for good the argument about more speakers equaling more volume. i assure you, it works.
0930082036.jpg

• Members

how do you like the SG? i JUST got a brand new SG standard in ebony last wednesday and my {censored}ing god, it's the greatest thing i've ever played.

i've lusted after an SG for years but, kind of always said i wouldn't own a gibson. man, i should have done it sooner. i like it so much i'm looking to trade my PRS SE with bare knuckle's for a beater SG faded (or something like that) to use as a back up guitar.

hopefully you'll get your TV soon.

• Members

Thinking of getting an Orange for a long time now. Will read entire thread today, but quick question. Got to play a Rocker 30 saturday and really loved it...but was curious if the AD30 differs in tone much, how it does and if there's more gain on tap with the AD30?

• Members
how do you like the SG? i JUST got a brand new SG standard in ebony last wednesday and my {censored}ing god, it's the greatest thing i've ever played.

i've lusted after an SG for years but, kind of always said i wouldn't own a gibson. man, i should have done it sooner. i like it so much i'm looking to trade my PRS SE with bare knuckle's for a beater SG faded (or something like that) to use as a back up guitar.

hopefully you'll get your TV soon.

Love my SG Standard !
2709621631_87bc4fe1fc.jpg

• Members

Thinking of getting an Orange for a long time now. Will read entire thread today, but quick question. Got to play a Rocker 30 saturday and really loved it...but was curious if the AD30 differs in tone much, how it does and if there's more gain on tap with the AD30?

The AD30 has more of a vintage flavour and is a true class A amplifier. Both channels are almost identical - I believe the second is slightly darker having a tad more gain than the first.

The Rocker 30's dirty channel has far more gain than either channel on the AD30. The natural channel is simply that... plug in and play... crank it up if you want to get some breakup going on. It has more of a modern sound that the AD series but it has more of a vintage vibe than it's bigger brother, the Rockerverb 50. If you need more gain than the Rocker 30 has to offer I would suggest looking at a Rockerverb 50, Thunderverb 50 or an OR 50

• Members

you sound like a prime candidate for a thunderverb or rockerverb 50. check "OrangeAmplifiers" user on youtube and watch adrian emsely/marc ford demo them. good stuff. i keep watching the TV50 one just because i miss my TV50 as it is in atlanta right now :cry:

Archived