Orange conglomerate.

duncan

• Members

This is the perfect thread for what I need.

I'm in the market for an Orange head right now. I'm debating between a few different ones; AD30HTC, Rocker 30, and Rockerverb 50.

I like to play punk/rock tunes, ie: Dance Gavin Dance, Emarosa, Coheed, Anberlin, stuff along those lines.

I like a good clean channel, but I prefer a great gain sound more. I know the ad30htc has 2 channels but not necessarily a designated clean/dirty ones.

I will probably buy an Avatar 2x12 with Vintage 30's in it too just because Orange 2x12 are pricey. Is there a huge difference between the cabs?

If someone could help guide me through my selection process, I'd greatly appreciate that so I can make the best decision.

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is the perfect thread for what I need.

I'm in the market for an Orange head right now. I'm debating between a few different ones; AD30HTC, Rocker 30, and Rockerverb 50.

I like to play punk/rock tunes, ie: Dance Gavin Dance, Emarosa, Coheed, Anberlin, stuff along those lines.

I like a good clean channel, but I prefer a great gain sound more. I know the ad30htc has 2 channels but not necessarily a designated clean/dirty ones.

I will probably buy an Avatar 2x12 with Vintage 30's in it too just because Orange 2x12 are pricey. Is there a huge difference between the cabs?

If someone could help guide me through my selection process, I'd greatly appreciate that so I can make the best decision.

of the 3 you're debating between i would say the r30 or rv50. but, i would lean towards the rv50 IMHO. the R30 is great but, i feel you can tweak the RV50 to get closer to a rocker 30 but, the rocker 30 can't be tweaked to approach the RV50. plus you get the extra horsepower in the 50.

i've found my RV50 head to be very versatile. i was afraid to get one because i THOUGHT nothing could approach the tone of my tiny terror. but, i was wrong, i can tweak it to get really close to the TT tone and wayyyy beyond -which for me is a great thing. if you look on the official orange forum you'll find quite a few members there that claim the RV50 to be "the most versatile head there is", and i have to say they're right.

the reverb on the RV50 is pretty damn nice too. i think the cleans on it are great and much more versatile than the clean (no eq) of the R30. and the gain on it CAN be massive if you want it to be. if you want a ballsy, thick tone- get the rockerverb.

then you have the TV50 or OR50 but, of the 3 you asked about i would say RV50.

and lastly, i do have an avatar 2x12 w/ V30's and it's a great cabinet man. next on my list is an orange 4x12 but the avatar more than holds it's own. matter of fact i'm torn between an avatar contemporary 4x12 and the orange. i guess i just want the orange because, well it's an orange but, if i was impatient i would get the avatar and bet the difference would almost nil. we'll see how that one plays out for me.

• Members
you better not EVER trade that to ANYBODY. but me of course. if you ever want to get rid of it, talk to me.
;)

Well, I'm going to completely contradict my previous statement, and say that I will be trading/selling it.

I really need a great sounding combo amp that's small enough to just put in the back of the car and bring to practices/jamming sessions etc.

The Orange Hustler meets two of those criteria. It sounds great and it's a combo amp. The problem is the weight of it. It weighs around 95lbs (more than a Fender Twin :eek:), and it's just too impractical to lug it around.

It's also REALLY loud. By the time I turn it up so that it's really in its sweet spot stuff is falling off the shelves and my ears are ringing.

• Members

Just got my Orange Rockerverb 50 today and I must say wow!!!!!

I had never played one personally but I had heard them plenty and loved the tone but this one blows my last amp out of the water. The reverb really gives it a great sound. I use my Boss DS-1 to give the gain a little extra when I need it. My digital delay and chorus pedal really kill on the clean channel too.

I'm so glad I bought this amp. It's going to sound amazing when I go to do some recordings and shows. I'm giddy like a 5 year old on Christmas.

img0084fx9.jpg

• Members
So its time for me...

2008 - TibOrange (Pedals i build with an Orange Overdrive Preamp at your feet!)

1994 - Orange Overdrive 120 Head

1994 - Orange Overdrive 120 Combo (with 2 Electro Voice EVM12L)

2004 - Orange PPC212

l_cd70c71732c69c501a6e6c4946e067fc.jpg

Bad ass.

• Members
have a look to my new THUNDERVERB 50 ....quiet and noiseless

then in action ....I'm very proud and satisfied too
:love:

me too! nice to see another TV50 owner out there
1021082023.jpg
and this is the free shirt i got back with my amp, which has returned, safe and sound, no problems. just a fluke i guess. orange tech USA in GA couldnt get it to do what it was doing to me, and its not doing it now, so whatevs. im happy. free shirt face!
1022081940.jpg

Archived