Orange conglomerate.

duncan

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What do you think about shughuangs? Can't find any info on them.

hmmm. i don't know exactly what to think about them. i mean when you first get an orange (or any amp i guess) you're just floored by it. then when you get around to putting new tubes in you realize how bad the factory tubes were in comparison. for me i prefer all JJ's and one tung-sol 12ax7 in the phase inverter socket.

i think in comparison to the shughuang tubes, the JJ's in my case have a much smoother distortion and a thicker tone. i like it gainy though- i play with my gain around 2 o'clock so that is a big factor to me. FWIW the orange's or at least some of them - rockerverbs and TT's shipped with JJ's then at some point orange swapped to the generic looking shughuangs.

• Members

I like the EL34B's in most amps - never used them in an Orange though.

I've been restoring my '73...looks a lot better I reckon (don't have any 'before' pics, but it had the original cabinet with non original black tolex...which then someone painted with red acrylic paint)

got a new one from electric amp. this thing is heavy..

this is what it looks like now

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i87/BlackHolesAndRevelations/gear/amps/GEDC0391.jpg

now to get it working.

anyone here have an AD30 combo btw?

• Members

I've got my Orange back from the local amp tech. Works perfect now. I had a standby switch added, but its been left so that the amp can be converted back to original spec easily with no extra holes in the chassis.

Its not got much gain from the preamp, but this thing roars when you turn up the master volume.

It is currently minus one speaker which I'm sending away to get reconed, and I'm looking for a replacement psychadelic badge for the speaker cloth and a new handle, but other than that, its nearly finished.

The surprising thing is how good the cleans are on this amp. I was expecting nice overdrive, and I got it, but the cleans are excellent too.

Pics:
18172361a8924349233l.jpg
18172361a8924354388l.jpg
18172361a8924341399l.jpg

• Members

It is currently minus one speaker which I'm sending away to get reconed, and I'm looking for a replacement psychadelic badge for the speaker cloth and a new handle, but other than that, its nearly finished.

If you happen to come across more than one of those psychadelic badges (or a sticker for that matter)... please let me know and I'll be kind enough to do the same for you.

• Members

If you happen to come across more than one of those psychadelic badges (or a sticker for that matter)... please let me know and I'll be kind enough to do the same for you.

Will do.

I'm going to contact Orange and see if they could send them out directly.

• Members

got a question guys... ive got me a RV50 and an AD30 on the way, but.... ive never had the pleasure of a RV100... is there much diff between the 50 and 100?... 100 got more gain by any chance?...id really like to know... cause if its got more gain ill get me a 100

• Members

gaddamn that hustler is nice!!! i want the multi colored knobs on mine now!!! i had seen these first on the orange field guide web site. the pics on there dont happen to be yours, do they?

the original oranges had gold piping? nice. i wasnt sure. maybe one of these years they could do some nice reissues.

• Members

so I have a question.

I'm considering an orange amp, but I've yet to been able to experiment with the rockerverb to see if it gets great metal tones out of it. I'm aware that Dusty from between the buried and me used the thunderverb on tour, and it sounded rather wonderful. I'm really not into the the thunderverb, is it possible to get those tones out of a rockerverb...i dont mind using a pedal and some extra eq'ing.

oh, and I use an Orange 412 Cab :D

• Members

yes the rockerverb will certainly handle your high gain dreams. and beautifully at that.

and as far as teh gold piping goes, the 40th anniversary PPC412 has the gold piping and 12Hs! it would be SWEET to go with that refurb!

tempting..but i've already got a metro 4x12 loaded with those. excellent cab - sounds great with the oranges...not sure how the 40th anniversary would sound compared it.

if I get another orange cab, it will be a V30 loaded 4x12.

that combo up there looks like a pretty interesting amp.

• Members

true. but the gold piping would be so sweet looking with the head. i guess a normal head/cab could easilly have the piping changed. hmmmm...... eh, i dig the black for now.

what do you guys think of the black tolex stuff from orange, or has that been argued to death in earlier pages? i honestly cant remember.

• Members

true. but the gold piping would be so sweet looking with the head. i guess a normal head/cab could easilly have the piping changed. hmmmm...... eh, i dig the black for now.

what do you guys think of the black tolex stuff from orange, or has that been argued to death in earlier pages? i honestly cant remember.

Orange amps SHOULD have orange tolex in my opinion. That's all I have to say :poke:

• Members

i agree. i went througha little dilema when ordering my thunderverb, then had to slap myself. "What the {censored} do you MEAN what COLOR TOLEX SHOULD I PICK!!!!?!?!?!?!"

but they do still look nice. maybe a black stack and an orange stack side by side is in order? or chckerboard them (orange head on black cab and v/v)?

• Members

got a question guys... ive got me a RV50 and an AD30 on the way, but.... ive never had the pleasure of a RV100... is there much diff between the 50 and 100?... 100 got more gain by any chance?...id really like to know... cause if its got more gain ill get me a 100

Both have 4 gain stages (so they're equal at this point)... if anything I'd say the RV50 will have more distortion. The RV50 is going to get some powertube breakup before the RV100... pair that with the gain dimed and you have some thick creamy distortion going on. So unless you have any need to dime a 100w amp, I'd say the 50 should get the job done.

• Members
i had seen these first on the orange field guide web site. the pics on there dont happen to be yours, do they?

the original oranges had gold piping? nice. i wasnt sure. maybe one of these years they could do some nice reissues.

Nope, the pics on the site are of a 100 watt version, mine's the 50 watt version. Its a sweet amp. Its based on a Fender Twin, but it has EL34 flavoured mids and warmth, and it can get more grit than a twin.

Yes, the original Oranges had gold piping. I'm not quite sure when they made the changeover to white TBH.

Those 40th anniversary reissues look really nice. The custom handwired ones are a fortune, but the factory run reissues seem to be no more expensive than any other similar powered orange, and by all accounts sound great :love:

Archived