NAMM 2012

mildbill

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by seamonkey

View Post

I think that's different than preset sheets. The Moog's and Arps had them back in the day.

Shows the knobs and stuff for the osc and filter settings, etc and then you draw a line to show your setting.idn_smilie.gif

The editor seems to be needed for some finer parameters and modes (like legato switching).

Not sure if it will also save a patch. No reason not too, but you may be right it may be real old skool ;-)

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPuppy

View Post

I smell serious dollar signs around that UAD kit. biggrin.gif

I wonder how many of plug-ins are included in the $1,900/ $2,400 package. (Nowhere near enough will be the answer.) That cash outlay will just be the beginning for most purchasers, you can count on dropping at least another grand for more plug-ins. UAD has some fabulous simulations of analog signal processing, and the inclusion of a nice audio interface addresses the criticism that their PCI cards were just oversized dongles.

I better stop going for every $99 Kontakt library sale that comes up, my Mac Mini Server wants one of these things!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by scenicsquare

View Post

but again, how much is this thing (not to mention the PA SPEAKERS that line six wants to sell you with it!)?

That will make or break it I'd think. If it's not too expensive and doesn't sound like {censored} then I suspect it would be a fine alternative to a traditional mixer. I can't imagine anyone wanting to buy Line6 speakers, so I don't see that as part of the equation. Nor is bringing one into a venue that already has sound, that's just plain irrelevant.

Regarding your knock on playing in little clubs, I love playing in little clubs, been doing it for decades, and I hope I can continue doing it for several more decades. To each his own, though.

• Members

"Universal Audio's Apollo QUAD is also the world's first Thunderbolt-ready audio interface, with an expansion port that allows you to install a Thunderbolt expansion card."

$2,500 and I'm "allowed" to install a Thunderbolt expansion card (price unknown)??!! There are plenty of Macs out there with Thunderbolt already installed. If UAD is going to market a "Thunderbolt" interface it should include a damn Thunderbolt port in the thing, or at least let us know how much more $$ we'll have to lay out to add it.

The Apollo comes with the "Analog Classics" collection, plug-in versions of the LA-2A audio leveler, 1176LN/SE limiting amps, and Pultec's EQP-1A program EQ. Also included is the RealVerb Pro room modeler and CS-1 channel strip plug-in.

• Members

important info from the Original Gangsta himself, Don Buchla:

2010-NAMM-Show-37.jpg

At the 2012 NAMM Show, several interesting announcements were made about electronic music legend Don Buchla, above, and the future of his electronic music instruments:

His company, Buchla & Associates, has been acquired by a group of investors, who are creating a new company Buchla Electronic Musical Instruments. Buchla wil be the Chief Technology Officer of the new company. The organizational change will bring design, manufacturing, sales and marketing resources to Buchla. The intent is that, by freeing Buchla from some of these areas, he

• Members

another awesome oscillator from WMD:

"The WMD Phase Displacement Oscillator is an analog sawtooth oscillator with sync, lin/exp fm, and at least 5 octaves of tracking. That sawtooth is run into a 12-bit digital waveshaper with four simultaneous outputs.

Each output can have any waveform (see below picture), by using the Channel select push button to change channels (indicated by the LEDs being red. LEDs are green showing the amplitude/output of each channel.

The PDO will cycle from around 4-5 minutes (haven't quite calculated the slowest yet), to 10kHz. Fine and Coarse knobs provide adjustment.

Channels 2-4 have Phase CV inputs with bipolar attenuators and phase offset knobs. These allow for additional wave shaping by self patching, or +-360 degree (720 degrees total) of phase modulation. Any more gets rather noisy with the hardware.

It's like quadrature, but the phase angle offsets are completely arbitrary. And you can have whatever waveform on any output.

There is also a staircase output which compares the three phase adjustable channels and adds them together as PWM. So three steps of the summed Phase differential to the incoming sawtooth.

There is also a normal SUM output of channels 1-4. Channels 1 and 4 are normalled and will be broken if plugged into the discrete outputs. Channels 2 and 3 will always go to the sum output.

Will post more demos soon with better camera positioning and the scope.

10HP.

Thanks very much! "

pdo.gif

the awesome new MakeNoise stuff is still not presented, and muffwiggler euro consumerists are beside themselves with the horror of it all. fun to watch.

• Members

a more sensible ipad product from behringer

iStudio_P0AJQ_Reflective_web.png

New from BEHRINGER, the iSTUDIO iPad Docking Station is the perfect music production tool for both home studio and live recording. So much more than just a convenient way to recharge your iPad, iSTUDIO lets you create, produce and perform music using your favorite audio gear and musical instruments. iSTUDIO also includes two phantom-powered Mic/Line inputs (one switchable for Hi-Z inputs such as electric guitar or bass, no DI required), so you can use studio-grade condenser mics for stunningly professional results.

Flexible Functionality

iSTUDIO makes it easy to unleash your creative spirit, giving you access to iPad's powerful internal processor, touch-screen interface and vast array of available apps. With the iSTUDIO and your iPad, you can record, perform, or craft and create music in virtually any situation or location. A convenient onboard MIDI USB interface allows the transfer of MIDI data to and from your iPad for even more creative possibilities. iSTUDIO bridges the gap between your instruments and professional audio devices, creating a dynamically creative environment that will continue to grow as even more apps become available.

Vitally Versatile

The iSTUDIO features two combination XLR - 1/4" inputs, each with its own Gain control and switchable phantom power for use with condenser microphones. These inputs will accept analog signals from virtually any piece of audio gear including amps, mixers and external preamps. A guitar or electric bass can be connected directly to the iSTUDIO thanks to the built-in Hi-Z switch, enabling performers to play, perform and record straight into amplifier- and FX-modeling apps. We've also included a stereo Aux Input, allowing you to connect a wide range of line-level sources, even a turntable perfect for DJs or for archiving your precious vinyl collection.

Recording has Never Been Easier

In the old days when you wanted to record the band, you needed lots of gear and cables, or you had to spend gobs of money renting studio time. iSTUDIO takes all of the hassle out of recording, letting you concentrate on your performance and creativity. Just connect your mixer's outputs to iSTUDIO, open your favorite recording app and hit the button, nothing is easier. You can also use iSTUDIO's MIDI capability to control your external keyboards, samplers, drum machines and sound modules.

We've Got Connections

iStudio provides balanced stereo 1/4" TRS outputs for connecting to your studio monitors, PA systems and much more. Musicians can monitor tracks via dual independently controllable phones outputs, equipped with our adjustable direct monitoring controls for the ideal balance between incoming and playback signals. Two footswitch connectors are available for application-defined remote control of input selection and an expression pedal. If video is part of your production, iSTUDIO's RCA composite connector works with all standard video projectors, as well as most television and computer monitors.

Road-Ready and Rugged

When it comes to rugged reliability, BEHRINGER is an industry leader. Because your reputation, as well as ours depends on it, quality control is the first thing we build into each and every new product. As a result, the iSTUDIO is designed to withstand the rigors of the road and provide dependable performance for many years to come, and we back it with a comprehensive warranty program.

A+ Value

Value is defined as the point where price, features and dependability meet. Providing exceptional value to our customers is goal #1 at BEHRINGER. Compare us to the competition and we think you'll choose BEHRINGER.

• Members

our very first look at the new highly-anticipated MakeNoise modules -

399_ajom_m0ciaeukxp_1-1.jpg

this is the oscillator, called DPO. not knowing the full story yet from Tony, i can nonetheless speculate that it has a lot in common with the Buchla 259e/261e as far as the routing and layout is concerned. definitely touches of his own are evident as well. everyone is crapping their pants over this.

399_ajom_shcaaagtxk_1.jpg

this is a delay module of sorts, a co-project of Tony from MakeNoise and Soundhack ! if you've never used a Soundhack plugin before, you really should. these are some of the few 3rd party plugins i keep in my digital tool box. and they're free. this module seems to be a reinterpretation of the excellent "+pitchdelay" plugin. check out the plugins here.

posted on Muff's:

"I'll be at NAMM demoing a new eurorack module at the Analog Haven booth. The module is based on my +pitchdelay plugin (in turn based on the springer tempophon). Everything CV controlled (shift, range, time, feedback, soft-freeze).

There are still more details and features to iron out (working on the externally clocked delay time now). However, I can report a few specs: delay time should go out to about 1.5s, pitch shifting up 2 octaves and down 2 octaves, feedback will go to 150%, maybe more, with pitch shifting switchable in or out of the feedback path. Trying to cover a broad spectrum of sounds from lush to harsh with modulation everywhere. "

we have since found out that the the 'pitch' input is tuned to 1/v per octave, making Karpluss-Strong type synthesis much simpler than on other delay types.

here's some demos by Richard Devine showing some of the unusual sounds possible with a module like this:

http://soundcloud.com/make-noise/set...nds-by-richard

and if you poke around on the MakeNoise soundcloud, you'll notice recordings of a 'mystery module' . not sure what that is yet!

Archived