mildbill

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPuppy

View Post

I smell serious dollar signs around that UAD kit. biggrin.gif

$2000 with dual DSP, $2500 with quad. FW out of the box, Thunderbolt expansion in the summer (no price)

Meanwhile Yamaha/Steinberg are moving away from FW...new USB2.0 audio interfaces and USB in the latest 01V mixer.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPuppy

View Post

I smell serious dollar signs around that UAD kit. biggrin.gif

Sadly yes cry.gificon_lol.gif

Apollo will be shipping in the first quarter of 2012, with an estimated street price of $1,999 (DUO processing model) and $2,499 (QUAD processing model). Apollo

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by scenicsquare

View Post

ipad mixers (why?!), ipad controllers, ipad etch-a-sketch docks, everything ipad.

Because you get a touchscreen OS and hi-res display if you built your product around an iPad. That 16ch Mackie/iPad mixer looks interesting.

Also the Yamaha iCloud app for Motif XF....record your XF wirelessly to iPad which then uploads to SoundCloud for you.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by liliththekitten

View Post

I'm sold on this. Will prob compare it to the Mopho keys (which I really like) and I already know what a 101 sounds like - they're nearly perfect for what I want but the price (and midi!) on the Minibrute makes it really attractive.

And patch memory on something like this is for wussies.

mad.gifNO patch memory! mad.gif

That's it... ZOMG... Deal OFF !!!

We bomb France tonight evil.gif

icon_lol.gif

That interface will really encourage great experimentation and on this type of synth it is almost part of the sound sculpting. I see they have an editor so it wins both ways thumb.gif

I find it hard to justify not buying one... cool.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard

View Post

mad.gifNO patch memory! mad.gif

That's it... ZOMG... Deal OFF !!!

We bomb France tonight evil.gif

icon_lol.gif

That interface will really encourage great experimentation and on this type of synth it is almost part of the sound sculpting. I see they have an editor so it wins both ways thumb.gif

I find it hard to justify not buying one... cool.gif

I did read on the Arturia site it comes with preset sheets.

Did you see the dimensions? 12"x15"x2".

btw they have some sound demos up if anyone's interested.

• Members

they also have a SHOE now

oplab-shoe_4151.jpg

TS-1 Team Sneaker with rubber side pocket.

We teamed up with Spalwart Industries to create our own team sneaker with rubber side pocket for electronics. This is the original and only sneaker that was available behind the iron curtain. Still made in Slovakia. Same factory. Da.

TS-1 only $ 149.

i'm pretty alright with that shoe actually!

• Members

the smaller guys are BIG this year and the Big guys are Missing In Action.

Analogue has made a proper resurgence this year.

Menu diving is not 'hip and groovy' as people prefer real KNOBS AND FADERS & ARE VERY HIP N GROOVY!

IPAD continues to make large inroads into all aspects of music creation.

andriod is nowhere to be seen....dead in the water

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by scenicsquare

View Post

here's a mixer from Line 6 for people who are too stupid to know how to mix:

http://line6.com/stagescape-m20d/

please nobody buy that

Ok, call me crazy then. That is VERY cool to me.

- iPad isn't ABSOLUTELY required, the unit still does its job without one

- create custom EQ settings onscreen for each instrument

- remove feedback via custom onscreen EQ

- the unit stays onstage with the band (or at snake endpoint), soundman uses an iPad from FOH to run sound. No more need to run a snake into FOH for mixing.

- band members with their own iPad can control their own mix via wifi

- records all 16 channels to SD card at 24bit resolution -OMG

- record a soundcheck, go into the house with an iPad, play it back and adjust the mix. Of course this mix would sound different without the live drums and guitar amps, so this method couldn't be completely relied upon.

Laugh if you want, but that sounds great.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by hogger

View Post

Ok, call me crazy then. That is VERY cool to me.

- iPad isn't ABSOLUTELY required, the unit still does its job without one

- create custom EQ settings onscreen for each instrument

- remove feedback via custom onscreen EQ

- the unit stays onstage with the band (or at snake endpoint), soundman uses an iPad from FOH to run sound. No more need to run a snake into FOH for mixing.

- band members with their own iPad can control their own mix via wifi

- records all 16 channels to SD card at 24bit resolution -OMG

- record a soundcheck, go into the house with an iPad, play it back and adjust the mix. Of course this mix would sound different without the live drums and guitar amps, so this method couldn't be completely relied upon.

Laugh if you want, but that sounds great.

i don't know what to tell you man, i'm sorry. if this is to accompany a PA on sticks into a club / church environment, one where there is no sound guy, then i'm sure it would work fine. as would any small mixer. SPL levels are not that high, and source is going to rival the reinforcement in perceived volume to the audience. so what you do with the mix matters a great deal less, depending on the circumstance of course.

but if you take this line 6 mixer-thing into any place that has a PA already, anyplace bigger than a club environment, then i have no idea how you would integrate it. and no self respecting sound guy is going to agree to take the iPad you hand him and replace his whole FOH setup with that. there is no benefit. he's certainly not going unplug his snake, plug it into your boobideblah, and then fiddle with the doohicky while the audience waits for a show to happen. he's going to use the FOH mixer that is either a. already there or b. he brought with him.

in regards to sound check using a previous recording of practice or something - that's probably fine as far as figuring out... probably just EQ, but there are lots of other reasons it is important to sound check using actual expected volume levels etc. i would not recommend replacing your sound check with this method even in part!

this is coming from the perspective of someone who has done his time in the live production environment, and not in lil' clubs either. i hope i never have to ever go back.

now, on second thought i was probably mildly too harsh on this little line six. i can see it being very useful in something like a band practice space, for a group that doesn't have anyone techy involved and they just want to jam. very cool for that. and for small gigs that they don't expect a sound guy at, like i mentioned above. but again, how much is this thing (not to mention the PA SPEAKERS that line six wants to sell you with it!)? like the Alesis etchasketch, it's all very candy-coated and edible looking. i think that's for a reason. the reason is to sell equipment to people that want to avoid that whole annoying 'learning about audio' thing.

IMHO ofcrouse

Archived