What's the dumbest thing a salesperson ever told you about an amp?

Sandman31774

• Members
My GOD???? what is their interview process like???? arent these guys supposed to have some kind of relevant background???? Voltage difference between the two power cords??? WTF is going on???? I know some people can be stupid, but thats just pure idiocy, and this guy is the manager???? This whole thread is beginning to make me mad!!! LOL

No, what should make you mad is that you have to consider that any amp bought off the floor in one of these stores has the potential to have been {censored}ed up thanks to the idiot staff :idea:

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I can't remember any good amp stories (I'm sure I've heard some though), but I'll never forgot this gem from Radio Shack.

When I bought my PA system, my speake cables require special locking plugs (I forget what they're called). Well, I'm from a small town where it's a miracle just to get guitar strings, so I call Radio {censored} expecting them not to have any, and this is what I get:

Me - "Do you have any of those locking connectors for my PA speakers?"

Dumbass - "What's that?"

Me - "They're called ***** connectors".

Dumbass - "Well, we don't carry that fancy {censored} here".

:rolleyes:

• Members
they told me it was a jcm2000...

Probably just the "Marshall" name.
A salesman for the company I work for is a guitarist and has been playing in bands for over 20 years. He bought his son, who joined his first band not to long ago, a solid state Marshall combo. He said that he wanted to make sure his son was going to take music seriously before he got him a Marshall. :confused:

I asked him why he didn't get him one with tubes. His reply: "Marshall's sound better". :eek:

• Members
I can't remember any good amp stories (I'm sure I've heard some though), but I'll never forgot this gem from Radio Shack.

When I bought my PA system, my speake cables require special locking plugs (I forget what they're called). Well, I'm from a small town where it's a miracle just to get guitar strings, so I call Radio {censored} expecting them not to have any, and this is what I get:

Me - "Do you have any of those locking connectors for my PA speakers?"

Dumbass - "What's that?"

Me - "They're called ***** connectors".

Dumbass - "Well, we don't carry that fancy {censored} here".

:rolleyes:

You can't just call Radio Hack and ask them a vague question about "locking connectors for a PA." I'd have hung up on you if I was working there.

• Members

Good {censored} man! This is all funny as fkkk.

Stories from me.

In Denmark Street, I was just checking out their small spatterings of Edwards axes and was kinda warming to this purple Vee on the wall. The sales guy comes up and we just get talking. I know he's after a sale, but I know I'm just down there for a job interview, I'm early, not a penny to my name, just perving around the stores, really. So I say, just having a look around and junk. He asks if I'm interested in the vee. I figure the store is empty, there's three other lads standing around, {censored} it, lets have a go. Well, it plays like a dog! Not set up AT all. Sounds terrible. What's more the marshall I'm playing through dies after the second powerchord. LOL. We're having a look and I discover that the 8 ohm output is connected to a small Behringer notepad mixer into both 16ohm connectors on a cab using an insert cable :confused:

I tell him he's probably killed a lot of {censored}, namely the power section of the amp. He tells me they do that all the time because if they had speaker cables for every cab/head, it would cost them way too much!!!

He then proceeded to tell me that the Edwards were all original. I asked him what he meant, and he said original floyd, original duncan pickups (despite clearly saying Duncan Designed) and made by Gibson.

Note to self - never go down denmark street again. EVER!

Unrelated to amps, some real jems for you here.

After picking up my car from the garage.
Me: How much do I owe you.
Girl: Well, there's the mot and then the clutch disk you had done and the ECU.
MeL Wait a minute, clutch disk? There was nothing wrong with the clutch.
Girl: But we did it... isn't that right?
Me: No, have you got the right car? (gave details again). Ford Mondeo, right?
Girl: Oh right now, I'm looking at a Corsa here... (we eventually figure it out)
Girl: So that's MOT,

• Members

Dumbest thing I ever heard was back in the late 80's. A sales guy was trying to hard sell me on some new amp line, can't remember the brand name. Anyway, I mentioned that I had never seen anyone use that particular amp and I had heard bad things about it. The guy looked at me in disbelief and says, "Are you kidding me? Dude, Kenny Loggins uses these amps exclusively!!"

Dolemite would have scissor kicked that sucka.

• Members

i bought my engl z11 midi/amp channel switcher and the first one was faulty

the guy in the store said "these aren't supposed to change channels on the amp, you need a footswitch to do that"

i said :mad: that's pretty much all it fukn does! (change amp ch's)

Australia and talking about MIDI don't match up :(
no one here has a clue bout midi guitar rigs

• Members
Most the guys down denmark street are thick as two short planks, i've noticed that. The guys in the Vintage guitar shop are just assholes, as well.

Do you guys know Angel Music? Its on the second floor, above music ground. The guy there called Andy, sold me an amp and an 80s Strat (brilliant gear) all worth about a grand, together. Once i came there without money, said, just looking around. He tells me to f*ck off, because he can't be bothered to deal with me.:rolleyes:

• Members

I was in Mars music and this sales guy (a really good guitar player) comes in and starts telling me the the Cyber Deluxe amps' presets sound just like the real amps on who's modeling they are based because the amp actually "rewires" its self to be just like the original amp. I stopped playing, turned around and asked him if he really believed that, he lowered his head and said "no" and dragged out a nice super reverb for me to try.

• Members

Me and the drummer walk in:

Drummer "I'd like to see your double-pedals please"

Salesman "For guitar?..."

Me on phone:

Me "Hey, do you have the Line 6 Pod in stock?"

Salesman "No, I think you mean DOD 6 line..."

To this day I have no idea what a DOD 6 line is...

• Members

GAK isn't too bad to be honest. Most of the guys in there are very well informed and use the amps live frequently so I don't get much trouble from them.

It's the {censored}ty little stores I hate. There's a store in the Brighton Lanes called "Penny Lane Music"

It's basically an indie style clothes shop downstairs and a secondhand music instrument shop upstairs. The guy in there is an arrogant dickwad. I only ever go in there quickly to check if they have any bargains in but once I saw an old Boss DR660 drum machine (the same one Squarepusher uses) and asked about it. He was talking to his mate at the time and got really pissed off when I asked for help. Went something like:

Me: Excuse me mate

Shopguy: *HUFF* Yeah?

Me: How much is the DR660?

Shopguy: *gazes around* ... Nah 60 not enough

Me: Huh?

Shopguy: 60 quid is too low

Me: No, how much is the DR660

Shopguy: errr...

• Members
I was in Mars music and this sales guy (a really good guitar player) comes in and starts telling me the the Cyber Deluxe amps' presets sound just like the real amps on who's modeling they are based because the amp actually "rewires" its self to be just like the original amp. I stopped playing, turned around and asked him if he really believed that, he lowered his head and said "no" and dragged out a nice super reverb for me to try.

lmfao

I have one, not near as bad as the guys' here though.

I was looking into getting a better amp than my Crate, and I was looking at the Marshall AVT series. The fact that most here will agree that they suck aside, the salesguy was very desperate to sell me one. After demoing the amp for me, (which, BTW, I think is bull{censored}, to a 14 year old who's been playing barely a year, any amp sounds good when the dude is cranking out Malmsteen) this conversation (more or less) took place.

Me: sounds good man, but I think I like the head version better than the combo. That speaker cab is different from the AVT one, right?

Him: Yeah, it's the original 1960 JCM cabinet.

Me: Cool. Well I don't have enough money at the moment for both the head and that cab, I'll come back when I do.

Him: Oh, then you'll wanna just get one of these MG Cabs. It's all Marshall, they all pretty much sound the same anyways.

Me: Umm, no thanks.

Him: Well we can hold it for you.

Me: *looks at the giant wall full of the same amp and the same cab*

...uh, no.

:)

• Members

venue music are {censored}ing behringer whores, they think behringer are kings

i walked in there once looking for an eq pedal. i noticed the store looked really bare and was like

me -"hey dude are you guys closing or something the shop looks pretty empty" to the nearest guy, well that must have pissed him off major.

sales guy - "no wtf would you think that."

me- "do you have any boss pedals"

sg - "nah they are to expensive and they dont sound that good, behringer is the same thing just cheaper and sound better"

me -" behringer sound pretty horrid"

sg - " you dont know what your talking about try them before you bad mouth it"

me - "maybe you should try a boss pedal first to then"

sg - "if your going to be a smart ass get out"

now when ever im near venue i go there and act like a total spazz to the same guy.

Archived