What's the dumbest thing a salesperson ever told you about an amp?

Sandman31774

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Here ya go, I got 2 good ones.....

GC several years ago, I went in to try out the Krank Revo. (before all the hype) and plugged into it when the salesman walked over and said "Not bad for Solid state huh?" ---- I just laughed at him.

A month ago: I go to the local store here and I'm looking for a Sovtek 12ax7lps and the local tech, the ONLY local tech, who is supposedly really good, asks what I need so I tell him, and he says yea I got 12ax7s Itell him I want EXACTLY that tube, and he says.... "a 12ax7 is a 12ax7" It immediately pissed me off because I buy parts (caps & resistors) all the time from from this moron, and I tell him " I dont think so, I'll just order it online from someone who knows what their talking about" ......so an arguement insues, and as I'm walking out, the owner (who knows I spend alot of money in there) stops me and asks what is going on, and after I tell him what an incompetent idiot his tech is, offers to retube my amp for free.... :D Which was cool, after I told him I'd do the work myself. SO I ordered the most expensive Tubes they can get :D

• Members

dumbest thing thats happened to me in a guitar store: i grabbed a firebird off the wall at a GC, just wanted to see how it played really so i plugged it into a dual recto cause it was in the corner and no one was really around it. some {censored}ing guy whos like 50+ comes up to me with his buddies and is like "hey kid, that sounds REALLY bad!" and starts laughing with his crew... i said "what?" cause i thought i misheard him and hes like "yeah that sounds awful, you need to get a marshall!" "oh well i have a marshall at home". his response: "yeah well thats at home, WHERES IT NOW?!" and walks away laughing with his friends.

freakin weirdos man.

• Members

OT-the guitar center that i usally frequent has actually been very good to me. they know im not a punk kid dicken around and that i usally know what i need to know before im in the store. we have an understanding of save the sales pitch and im not paying whats on the sticker. i dont bitch, they dont fight, we are happy, and i go back all the time.

On topic, the other guitarcenter up the road (like 30 miles)
"wow im so glad you got VHT's in"
"yeah we just did, we got krank too!!!"
"ooook"
"they are kranks man wanna try one"
"no"

• Members

I hear something stupid every time I walk into GC in Virginia Beach. Last time I went in there looking at PA gear and acting like I really didn't know anything about it just to see what the sales guy would say. He went on and on about how Yorkville PA's sounded completely awful and JBL/Mackie was godly. Of course he didn't sell Yorkville and he did sell JBL/Mackie. Hmmmm.

There are sales idiots everywhere. I was at a party a few weeks ago and I meet this asshat sales guy from Homes.com. We start talking and I tell him I'm the marketing coordinator for a builder and he asks me about our advertising campaign. I tell him about it and that we primarily use print, radio and web with the largest percentage of our budget going to print. He looks at me with this dumb ass surprised look on his face and says "you mean you are STILL wasting money on print!?" like I'm the idiot here. He went on to act like we should completely end our print marketing campaigns and go for all web based. I was thinking "what in the {censored} is this guy talking about?" For anyone who doesn't know about marketing, this sales guy's claim is pretty much on the extreme end of the absurd spectrum. I would think these morons would have to have some experience in marketing, but I guess not. Pedal your {censored} at all costs!

Anyways...the moral of the story is to ALWAYS educate yourselves before making any purchase.

-Joe

• Members

A friend of mine just scored an avalon studio preamp/compressor at a pawn shop (they're like 2g's new). He said ... what's that you got back there? Pawnie= I think it goes to a keyboard (with a country hick accent). Friend= Yea a Korg right??? Pawnie= Yea it goes to a Korg keyboard. Friend= Avalon preamp for 175 bucks. bastard.

• Members
I hear something stupid every time I walk into GC in Virginia Beach. Last time I went in there looking at PA gear and acting like I really didn't know anything about it just to see what the sales guy would say. He went on and on about how Yorkville PA's sounded completely awful and JBL/Mackie was godly. Of course he didn't sell Yorkville and he did sell JBL/Mackie. Hmmmm.

There are sales idiots everywhere. I was at a party a few weeks ago and I meet this asshat sales guy from Homes.com. We start talking and I tell him I'm the marketing coordinator for a builder and he asks me about our advertising campaign. I tell him about it and that we primarily use print, radio and web with the largest percentage of our budget going to print. He looks at me with this dumb ass surprised look on his face and says "you mean you are STILL wasting money on print!?" like I'm the idiot here. He went on to act like we should completely end our print marketing campaigns and go for all web based. I was thinking "what in the {censored} is this guy talking about?" For anyone who doesn't know about marketing, this sales guy's claim is pretty much on the extreme end of the absurd spectrum. I would think these morons would have to have some experience in marketing, but I guess not. Pedal your {censored} at all costs!

Anyways...the moral of the story is to ALWAYS educate yourselves before making any purchase.

-Joe

I have a degree in Business and Marketing and am currently managing a Printing Company (hint hint...send your print to us :D ) Ah only messing, we are half way round the world. That guy is an idiot though

• Members

A friend of mine just scored an avalon studio preamp/compressor at a pawn shop (they're like 2g's new). He said ... what's that you got back there? Pawnie= I think it goes to a keyboard (with a country hick accent). Friend= Yea a Korg right??? Pawnie= Yea it goes to a Korg keyboard. Friend= Avalon preamp for 175 bucks. bastard.

Heh. I love know-it-all pawnshop guys. A little while back I scored an absolutely pristine 1966 Vibro-Champ with a Mullard and an Amperex Bugle Boy tubes for $300 because they were throroughly convinced it was a mid '70s Champ and that's what the 'book' said it was worth. LOL.

• Members

Few years ago, OKC GC - salesweasel comes up to me, asks what amp I use. I say a VHT. He says "Those are nice, but this, this is a better amp."

Bastard points out a Mode 4.

When I worked and taught at a music store, redneck guy comes up to me all concerned with an Ovation acoustic in hand.

Look, the guitar is busted, the son of the soil says. He strums a chord, and shows me how the onboard EQ doesn't do anything. Guitar wasn't plugged into an amp...

Pete

• Members

When I worked and taught at a music store, redneck guy comes up to me all concerned with an Ovation acoustic in hand.

Look, the guitar is busted, the son of the soil says. He strums a chord, and shows me how the onboard EQ doesn't do anything. Guitar wasn't plugged into an amp...

Pete

Oh....my...... :eek:

• Members

I have 2....

Once at Sam Ash they had a DSL and a 5150 sitting next to each other. The DSL had a power chord and the 5150 did not and I wanted to trying the 5150. So I unplugged the power chord from the DSL and the manager saw me in the middle of making the switch. He came over to me and told me that I can switch power chords between amps because of the voltage difference between the two and that it would blow up the 5150. I tried to explain to him that that isn't how things work.... he got angry and told me not to do it...

My personal favorite....

There is a local Mom and Pop store near here that I used to hang out. Back before I knew much about amps I asked if they carried any tube amps. They said no and I asked why. They said that when tubes go they explode in the back of the amp and cover the inside with dust so you have to take it into the shop and have them clean it...

• Members
Heh. I love know-it-all pawnshop guys. A little while back I scored an absolutely pristine 1966 Vibro-Champ with a Mullard and an Amperex Bugle Boy tubes for $300 because they were throroughly convinced it was a mid '70s Champ and that's what the 'book' said it was worth. LOL.

:freak:

That's so awesome. I can't wait till i come up on a deal like that.... if ever.

• Members
I have 2....

Once at Sam Ash they had a DSL and a 5150 sitting next to each other. The DSL had a power chord and the 5150 did not and I wanted to trying the 5150. So I unplugged the power chord from the DSL and the manager saw me in the middle of making the switch. He came over to me and told me that I can switch power chords between amps because of the voltage difference between the two and that it would blow up the 5150. I tried to explain to him that that isn't how things work.... he got angry and told me not to do it...

My personal favorite....

There is a local Mom and Pop store near here that I used to hang out. Back before I knew much about amps I asked if they carried any tube amps. They said no and I asked why. They said that when tubes go they explode in the back of the amp and cover the inside with dust so you have to take it into the shop and have them clean it...

My GOD???? what is their interview process like???? arent these guys supposed to have some kind of relevant background???? Voltage difference between the two power cords??? WTF is going on???? I know some people can be stupid, but thats just pure idiocy, and this guy is the manager???? This whole thread is beginning to make me mad!!! LOL

• Members

I had an amp with reverb once so I went to guitar center and asked one of the salespeople if they had any reverb juice. The guy started looking throughout the store for it and then decided to check with someone. He said that he never heard of it before but it could be specially ordered if I wanted. :D Its something to try when you're in guitar center.

Archived