say you've got $600 bucks max and you need a half stack

logansc

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

might be good for you, but BAD ADVICE. Dont even try and call that a marshall half stack. I had the mg stack when i was 15 and while it sounds ok in your room, its terrible for gigging.

+1

Only noobs think it's good just because of the logo on the amp, no matter how cheap it is.

• Members

The problem with those is that they suck.

Sorry.:poke:

it's not too bad. I'm not saying it's the greatest, but man, it kicks the {censored} out of my fender FM210 that i was playing through. I rely on pedals for my tone anways. clean channel, 50W, could've been anything, plus, my penis is bigger now because it all says marshall.

all in all, it's not great. but it's alright. I seriously want a Soldano Avenger soon to replace it. but it's a want, not need. it's okay. I'm not completely dumb.

• Members

okay so 5150 combo is officially an option. I didn't know you could get them that cheap used okay. Chill. So alright we'll look into that. How do they compare to a 5150 head, are they pretty much the same as the big block letter ones? Cause we wouldn't have an opportunity to try one here.

• Members

what combos are cheaper than half-stacks and can do metal music loud? NONE!!!! Waiting to get more cash isn't an option.

Dude... even a Behringer GMX combo will do metal... albeit it doesn't sound that great, but it WILL do it... in fact it has way too much gain for anything sensible.

Open your mind.

• Members

I'm not sure if he knows a) What he's talking about when it comes to price b) What happens when you gig c) What the sound man is for.

The sound guy is there to push the "Suck" button if you piss him off. :poke:

• Members

Well I'm fairly new to the forums but I've been gigging for awhile and I'd like to give my two cents..

First off, sharing gear at venues is like the best thing ever. There is less stage clutter, less crap to move and the sound guy won't have to reposition mics between every band if you decide to share cabs. Anyone who doesn't allow that is a complete MORON. Just get in contact with the bands ahead of time. I am always more than happy to share my stack.

K you got $600 to play with? Don't touch the MG series. The Peavey 5150 combo is a fairly good idea. If you want people to give you props for manning a stack look for a Sovtek or Ampeg V4. Run a pedal with either. Sounds to me like you're trying to get that fake, thin sounding metal distortion if you think your XXX doesn't have enough gain (LMFAO). Do you want to hear notes or fuzz when you play? Do your homework.

• Members

Yep...I occasionally use a 5150 combo at a studio I work in, and if that {censored}er isn't loud enough for any gig I'll eat a pile of my own feces. It's {censored}in' unbearable not even half way up...louder than all hell. But honestly, with a boost, it sounds great for metal.

I honestly think the earlier recommendation of PodXT through a 300w amp and cabinet was decent too. Sorry...through a decent amp and cabinet a Pod is a very flexible solution for metal...capable of getting a lot of different metal tones (models include Uber, Engl, Diezel, 5150, Cornford, Mesa Dual and Triple Recto, Marshall...I mean c'mon between that and the EQ you're gonna find a way to dial in a good sound).

• Members

he may as well spend some cash, and get a cab worth having...a {censored}ty cab is really a bad investment, if i were him i'd get something like this

http://www.avatarspeakers.com/vintage%20g412.htm

and maybe one of these heads:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-VAMPIRE-LX1200H-Modeling-Guitar-Head?sku=480734

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-Spider-III-HD75-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=482274

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-RX-Series-RX120RH-120W-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=481151

that's a little more money than you were talking about...but he'll have a solid cab that he won't need to replace, and a cheap head to keep as a backup should he decide to upgrade later; if you're thinking long term at all you're gonna be hard pressed to find a $600 rig that's not pure garbage, you may as well dig up a little more cash and get something workable

honestly tho, if you don't have gear decent enough to play shows...you shouldn't be playing shows yet

• Members

I bought one of these as a backup up for gigs. Cost $162.50 on EBay. Actually not too bad at all. And br00000tally loud.

valenciana_009.jpg

As for getting a stack, well, it does look cool. That's the only reason I can think of why you'd want one.

Archived