say you've got $600 bucks max and you need a half stack

logansc

• Members

nah those sound like a crappy version of my xxx, and for what we played we don't need two sounds like that. I boost my xxx and it doesn't get thick enough sounding still, I can't get it past killswitch engage crunch ya know, one of the guitars needs to have more bottom end.

LOLOCAUST

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

try to go play a 5150 combo for yourself, i've played them myself and wasn't a huge fan of them, even tho i've owned the head and loved it...you guys may find it works for what you're wanting to do, and if you get a good deal on a used one they're fairly easy to re-sell if you want something bigger eventually

there's a forumite here with this for sale, may be worth looking into (don't let the name fool you, it's a decent head)

yeah alright, well if u see any in 515o combos in our area let me know.

But shouldn't this head below sound much better than that you linked? I played it too with my guitarist at guitar center and it sounded dang decent. Really not crap at all. I could find one like it on the bay probably for $200. That would leave me room for a $300 cab. There has to be some cab that's decent for that much right? What about an unloaded cab and two warehouse speakers? How much could that be?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/B52-LS100-100W-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=481598

• Members

But shouldn't this head below sound much better than that you linked? I played it too with my guitarist at guitar center and it sounded dang decent. Really not crap at all. I could find one like it on the bay probably for $200. That would leave me room for a $300 cab. There has to be some cab that's decent for that much right? What about an unloaded cab and two warehouse speakers? How much could that be?

Lots of people have the B-52 stuff and like it. I'd not gig one because the quality of the components and the QC in the factory they're made is reputed to be crap. At least with the MIA Peavey stuff you're getting a fairly high quality amp.

If you're serious about gigging then you need to get quality stuff that won't break. You can get some pretty good deals if you shop around for used gear. If you get some cheap crap amp you'll just have it break at the least convenient time, usually when you're up on stage.

• Members

okay, so i've been looking at ebay. I'll have to think about heads. But you can get those b-52s for $200 there.

But what if I got this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/2x12-empty-unloaded-guitar-or-bass-speaker-cabinet-cab_W0QQitemZ120241936053QQihZ002QQcategoryZ10171QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

and put some veteran 30's inside. With shipping that would bring me to what $215 give or take, with the veterans at $45 each and $30 shipping on the head? How much would the jack and wire I would need cost? If anybody has links for dependable cheap ones that would be much appreciated. This would be pretty easy to do if you know how to use a soldering iron right?

This means I could probably spend more like $400-$500 bucks and get a decent rig right?

• Members

Lots of people have the B-52 stuff and like it. I'd not gig one because the quality of the components and the QC in the factory they're made is reputed to be crap. At least with the MIA Peavey stuff you're getting a fairly high quality amp.

If you're serious about gigging then you need to get quality stuff that won't break. You can get some pretty good deals if you shop around for used gear. If you get some cheap crap amp you'll just have it break at the least convenient time, usually when you're up on stage.

nah, we're not rough with our equipment to where gigging a couple times a month won't be okay with most any amp.

• Members

nah, we're not rough with our equipment to where gigging a couple times a month won't be okay with most any amp.

Because we all know that cheaper amps have less hit points, and if you kick them around, they get KOed faster. Just bring a phoenix down, and it's all well and good when it's randomly dealt a critical hit!

• Members

spend the 600 on a decent amp head

borrow bass player's cab till have enough to go avatar or some {censored}

i'm thinking a 2x12 with veteran 30's is really the same or better than an avatar, not to mention only $200 no, unless somebody gives me a logical reason why not, i'm thinking this is genious. Now the question is what head now, unless I can find and like 5150 combos.

• Members

He gave you a link to a great deal on one of the only solid state heads worth playing and you come back with a more expensive piece of crap. Come to think of it, you've gotten a ton of great advice (some not so great, but most on here have been really helpful) throughout this thread and you don't appear to have actually considered any of it.

Seriously, why even ask?

• Members

I can't find where to get jacks anywhere. Does anybody have any links to where I can get this. And i'm not mistaken right that all i'll need is the speakers, a jack with 1/4 input, and some 18 or 16 gauge copper wire.

• Members

LMAO if you think that B-52 is "dang decent" and "really not crap," and a Windsor sounds like an XXX AT ALL, much less just a worse one, you need help.

An ass load of gain and bass are not what make a good guitar sound. Go listen to some CDs and see if you hear anything like the sound coming out of an amp like that.

Because we all know that cheaper amps have less hit points, and if you kick them around, they get KOed faster. Just bring a phoenix down, and it's all well and good when it's randomly dealt a critical hit!

the high gain setting on the windsor does sound like a not as good not quite as obscenely full of gain xxx. The rest of the settings (cactus, boot, whatever) don't sound like a xxx at all. I'm not looking for a ton of gain, just the right sound. I just don't like the windsor for the price okay. And I don't fully get what you're saying but seriously we don't kick our stuff around at all, it would have to crap out from just plain playing through it, which is possible, but a risk I easily can take.

• Members

ya could easily get a vtm, triumph, or butcher for under 300, and a used peavey cab for 2-300...?? hell they got a butcher and mitchell cab i bet they would weel and deal on atgc winter park - they are dying to move it out of the store and are posting on cl...

• Members

I'll go classic UG with: "get a used tube combo" :p

But seriously, MG's and Spider 3's are garbage.
If he really needs a stack, tell him to save up for something better.
You can't get a good stack (unless you go used) for $600 - good stuff starts at around 1k.

Ya, it's expensive. Get used to it.

• Members

Several of the suggestions in this thread have made a lot of sense, but that is the problem, at least where I'm at. The local original metal scene here pretty much requires 1/2 stacks for a band to be taken seriously, soundmen are nonexistant, PAs are for vocals, snare and bass drum (which you can't hear anyway) and volume knobs are on 10 even if you're playing a shoebox in front of 7 people. The overwhelming stage volume is supposed to be impressive. db level>quality of sound anyday. I've played gigs where I couldn't even hear the drummer and I was standing next to him.
Try telling 1 of those guys that a good combo amp mic'ed through a P.A. will sound better and you might as well be saying you have a contagious, airborne disease, you'll probably get the same reaction from them. Or they'll sneer and say combos are for cover bands.

Happy 100th post to me! :)

• Members
Several of the suggestions in this thread have made a lot of sense, but that is the problem, at least where I'm at. The local original metal scene here pretty much requires 1/2 stacks for a band to be taken seriously, soundmen are nonexistant, PAs are for vocals, snare and bass drum (which you can't hear anyway) and volume knobs are on 10 even if you're playing a shoebox in front of 7 people. The overwhelming stage volume is supposed to be impressive. db level>quality of sound anyday. I've played gigs where I couldn't even hear the drummer and I was standing next to him.

Try telling 1 of those guys that a good combo amp mic'ed through a P.A. will sound better and you might as well be saying you have a contagious, airborne disease, you'll probably get the same reaction from them. Or they'll sneer and say combos are for cover bands.

Happy 100th post to me!
:)

F*** the metal scene...

• Members

Happy 100th post to me!
:)

^Congrats :).

No one cheered me on my 69th post...:(

Archived