say you've got $600 bucks max and you need a half stack

logansc

• Members

What would you go with. The guitarist in my band is in that situation. We're starting to play shows and our bass player is tired of bringing his half-stack for our guitarist to borrow. Basically the less money he spends the sooner he can get it, cause he's got no money. We went to our guitar center today and all they had in that range was a b-52 ls100, at least I think that is the number. It wasn't bad. There is also the marshall mg, but I think it's sorta crappy if I remember from when I played it. There are two randall stacks, and the crate flexwave. All of these amps are prbably mostly crap, but if you had to go with one what would it be. We play metalcoreish deathmetalish stuff, and I use a peavey xxx so I guess something that would work with it. Mostly something that gets loud and won't feedback a ton when you do would be fine really haha.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

look for a used Peavey Classic 50 halfstack.... sometimes people sell those for cheap..... also same for random Randall models.....

if you buy a halfstack for $600 new.... I can pretty much tell you that its gonna be a piece of {censored} :idk:

• Members

don't get an MG. even for SS amps, they suck.

he'd prolly be better off with some line 6 junk, or a 212 combo. in my experience, NOBODY actually needs a half stack.

also, you can tell the bass player to quit being a dick and start being a team player...hell, why not sell his {censored} to the guy in need?

also, you may want to start only allowing people in the band if they have the right tools to do the job. i got tired of the one who had all the gear, so now i only have a small practice PA and my own rig. if you wanna be in a band, you need to have the tools of the trade. period.

check with voltaire on this board. last i heard she had a 5150 combo for sale.

• Members

You can MAYBE get a Marshall MG halfstack for $600, but they suck terribly. Tell your friend to get a combo or save more money. The way I see it, he just wants a "halfstack" because they're big and loud, clearly, because you can't get can't a good halfstack for $600.

• Members

i got a marshall 8100 half stack for $600 like 5 years ago. Totally worth it for the money if you're about the converge style dist

sold it for $400 to help pay for a FB412 cab, but i would gladly play one again. You can get them on teh cheeeeeaep :thu:

it slaps the {censored} out of the MG and MF...really hard actually

• Members

You can MAYBE get a Marshall MG halfstack for $600, but they suck terribly. Tell your friend to get a combo or save more money. The way I see it, he just wants a "halfstack" because they're big and loud, clearly, because you can't get can't a good halfstack for $600.

+100000000:cop:

• Members

You're nuts, you can't get all for $600.:poke:

people have been known to find the VTM heads for under 300.....

those cabs can be had for less than 300 as well

But you will need a boost with that amp for death metal. You can find one of those used for 75 bucks or so.

its doable, but dont go solid state and definitely go used

• Members

But you will need a boost with that amp for death metal. You can find one of those used for 75 bucks or so.

Yup.

Heck, the cabs sell new for $298.

• Members

don't get an MG. even for SS amps, they suck.

he'd prolly be better off with some line 6 junk, or a 212 combo. in my experience, NOBODY actually needs a half stack.

also, you can tell the bass player to quit being a dick and start being a team player...hell, why not sell his {censored} to the guy in need?

also, you may want to start only allowing people in the band if they have the right tools to do the job. i got tired of the one who had all the gear, so now i only have a small practice PA and my own rig. if you wanna be in a band, you need to have the tools of the trade. period.

check with voltaire on this board. last i heard she had a 5150 combo for sale.

he hates line6 stuff and so do I. Nah not MG but see the bass players amp is a beat up flexwave that sounds like crap anyways so the guitarist needs to get a new amp. And yes I should get people with the tools of the trade, but i'm not talented enough to be that picky. I just wanna play music. Plus if we nixed the guitarist the drummer would probably leave cause he's like his best friend.

• Members

That's $675 then.:poke::cop:

• Members

That's $675 then.:poke:
:cop:

Or get an SD-1 for like $40....

I know I know, $640 :cop::cop::cop:

Or skip the boost and turn it up like it was meant to be.

• Members

well see in my experience a really great head sounds pretty dang great still in the worst of cabs. Why should u get a $250 cab with a $300 head when you could get a $425 head and a $175 cab? This idea just dawned upon me.

• Members

For $600, he should get a POD Xt live ( $300 on eBay ), a cheap 300W power amp ( $100 on eBay ), a cheap unloaded cabinet ( as low as $50-60 ), and then load it with one or two Warehouse speakers. That will provide the best sound for the lowest amount of money.

• Members

well see in my experience a really great head sounds pretty dang great still in the worst of cabs. Why should u get a $250 cab with a $300 head when you could get a $425 head and a $175 cab? This idea just dawned upon me.

Just get a good head AND cab.:idea:

Don't skimp out on the cab, otherwise you'll end up replacing the speakers, which can almost cost as much as some new cabs.

• Members

Just get a good head AND cab.
:idea:

Don't skimp out on the cab, otherwise you'll end up replacing the speakers, which can almost cost as much as some new cabs.

Man, I would honestly faster recommend getting a $500 Avatar 412 and a $100 head off eBay before I recommended getting a crappy cabinet and a less-crappy head.

• Members

Just get a good head AND cab.
:idea:

he won't, though I would you're right. He really just needs to play something that's not unbearably bad sounding and loud. You can replace with warehouse speakers for $200 on a 4X12 cab though. In fact I may be doing that very soon.

• Members

hmmm.. My suggestion is simple:

Tell the bass player to at least try and compromise here.. Hell.. The guitarist could get an OK head for 600 I bet...in my solution the bass player would still need to compromise about the cabinet though...or you could try to find a cheap 2X12... A BAND is supposed to be a group of people that work towards a common goal I thought..

Not likely if time is a factor and it appears it is.. He would have to get lucky and probably expend a good amount of effort looking for the gear in his price range...

And while I agree with you, that getting used is probably his only or best option.. I disagree that tube amps are his only option too.. Just because a amp has tubes doesn't mean it will sound any better.. than a SS amp.Might still sound like ass. What you should of said was " stay away from cheap or modern SS amps"

• Members

Man, I would honestly faster recommend getting a $500 Avatar 412 and a $100 head off eBay before I recommended getting a crappy cabinet and a less-crappy head.

seriosuly? Cause I just don't notice that much difference from a cab. A cab does not control your signal at all, it just alters what frequencies come out a bit, and there is some volume difference I suppose. If it works without buzzing loudly from being broken then its going to sound okay.

Archived