say you've got $600 bucks max and you need a half stack

logansc

• Members

Listen. I know exactly where you are coming from. I've had these same perceptions before.

I currently play drums({censored} being a decent drummer. thats all you ever get to do) in the most br00tal of br00tal hardcore bands. The one guitarist uses my setup(5150/VHT FB 4x12), and the other uses his ValveKing/Mesa oversized 4x12, and with the bass player actually doing his job, our sound is nothing short of absolutely devistating. He only got his Mesa in the past few weeks. He used a Marshall 1960A until then. Even with that not being the best cab in the world, he had the necessary tone, and volume.

The valveking may not be the thickest sounding amp, but thats not his job to fill out the low end. That belongs to your bass player. I promise you that if your bass player isnt in a competition to play the most complicated looking {censored}, and sucks it up and supplies the low end rhythm....

You will NOT REGRET a ValveKing 2x12 and a cheap OD boost. I promise you.

I have played in a band where I played bass, the one guitarist had a line 6 spider II half stack, and the other a ValveKing 1x12, and the one with the 1x12 overpowered the halfstack so blatantly, it was painful to listen to. We played metal. I was running an Ampeg SVT200T/6x10. Our drummer hit way too hard. The valveking cut through like a knife. Do it.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, possibly not an Ultra, but with a little effort shopping around a used VTM and Avatar 212 shouldn't be too hard to get around $600 or maybe even less.

+1. Used avatar cabs are around $200. and VTM's, while stupidly increasing in price over the years, aren't that bad. $300 or so.

• Members

Oh, and you need to get past the whole stack image deal. Nothing you get new in that price range will sound better than a similarly priced all tube 2x12 combo. I would take a good 1x12 combo over two {censored}ty full stacks any day of the week.

This reminds me of a fun story.

Just last weekend, we played an all local show, which oddly dont happen very often, and have the biggest draws by far. The band that brought the PA, who are pretty good dudes, played a few spots before us(girl pants, screaming, breakdowns with keyboard behind, singing choruses...the epitome of what I hate about the "scene" today) and I was shooting the {censored} about tone and gear with their single guitarist. He has a newer marshall valvestate/AVT/whatever the {censored} they call them these days, and matching cab, which sounded like total ass. He goes as far as to set his amp up bass 0 mid 10 treb 10 volume 10 just to cut through. Well anyway, he was complaining about his gear and said how he paid $1500 for this stack, and how he wishes he would have had the money for a setup like mine. When I told him I paid $1200 for my entire amp rig, I thought he was going to cry.

Point being, buy used. Look for good deals. Don't buy something just because it looks cool. You don't HAVE to get a half stack. It doesn't make your dick any bigger, guys. Thats what ExtenZe is for.

• Members
Point being, buy used. Look for good deals. Don't buy something just because it looks cool. You don't HAVE to get a half stack. It doesn't make your dick any bigger, guys. Thats what ExtenZe is for.

No, you didn't read the thread. He NEEDS a half stack. Not a combo or a whole stack, not even a quarter stack. He NEEDS a half stack. :cop::)

• Members

Your type of music doesn`t require tubes to sound good.

Here's a cheap powerful rig from Randall

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-RH200G2RS125CX-Half-Stack?sku=480333

Fender makes the Roc-Pro with a tube pre-amp - Edit- This one is discontinued according to MF- Sorry- You still may be able to get one tho-

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Roc-Pro-1000-HalfStack-Package?sku=480706

My Point = Your buddy can get a decent enough SS rig for 6 bills that will do the job for a good while.

Why the hell would you want to drag a more expensive tube rig around if your just gonna play in {censored}holes ? What are you gonna do when your buddy's rig {censored}s the bed because of a tube dying ?

Good luck

• Members
seriosuly? Cause I just don't notice that much difference from a cab. A cab does not control your signal at all, it just alters what frequencies come out a bit, and there is some volume difference I suppose. If it works without buzzing loudly from being broken then its going to sound okay.

*Slaps forehead*

• Members
Just get a 5150 combo and be done with it. If he can't get it to sound good enough then he sucks at life.

I'M PROBABLY GONNA DO THAT LIKE I SAID!!!! COME ON GUYS!!!!

Alright, so that seems the best option, I knew there were combos that got loud enough, this one in particular, but being $1200 new I didn't know they were so much cheaper used. I wasn't looking for an image to get a half stack, I just though that was all there was in the price range loud enough.

As far as any new recommendations. We still don't like line6, and a Pod through a power amp isn't right for us either. We could borrow another bands stuff I guess, but we just would rather have our own stuff. Why is that hard to understand? He needs something better to practice on too. And as far as if we're ready to play shows yet, what else do you do once you've got your songs down tight? Sit and wait? No, you start playing and making a name for yourselves right?

www.purevolume.com/logansc that's the tone I get from my XXX, that's not great, but i'm not completely just wanking around alright.

• Members
My XXX has more gain than i'll ever need! It's just a voicing that doesn't need to be doubled with a peavey windsor is all I was saying.

I'M PROBABLY GONNA DO THAT LIKE I SAID!!!! COME ON GUYS!!!!

Alright, so that seems the best option, I knew there were combos that got loud enough, this one in particular, but being $1200 new I didn't know they were so much cheaper used. I wasn't looking for an image to get a half stack, I just though that was all there was in the price range loud enough.

As far as any new recommendations. We still don't like line6, and a Pod through a power amp isn't right for us either. We could borrow another bands stuff I guess, but we just would rather have our own stuff. Why is that hard to understand? He needs something better to practice on too. And as far as if we're ready to play shows yet, what else do you do once you've got your songs down tight? Sit and wait? No, you start playing and making a name for yourselves right?

www.purevolume.com/logansc
that's the tone I get from my XXX, that's not great, but i'm not completely just wanking around alright.

Dude, you're still carrying around some misconceptions that will be damaging though which is why people are still hitting you over the head with the dunce stick.

1) Half stacks are frequently not even louder than a 2x12. Almost never if you actually have the 2x12 at the same height as a 4x12.
2) Sharing gear is a good thing-- trust me, even if it's just a cab, it's a good thing to do at shows, especially when you're looking to get more bookings and want to make the club happy. You're not a {censored}ing rockstar don't expect the treatment. When everyone's job is easier that's a good thing.
3) To practice, you just need to hear each other. When I was gigging, my band used to practice with $125 solid state stuff though we both had $1200 all tube rigs for shows. Why? Because we kept the volume down, heard each other, and didn't need to sound the best just play well together. The practice before or even day of the gig was the only time we brought out the full gear, felt out levels, did a run through, etc. It worked great.
4)If borrowing gear like a cabinet (which is the biggest PITA to bring anyway) allows him to spend more and get the right head that he really wants and can keep, why wouldn't you borrow short term so that saving for a good cabinet IS an option?
5)COMBOS ARE LOUD. YOU DONT HAVE TO BE LOUD ENOUGH ANYWAY, THAT'S WHAT A PA IS FOR.
6)Sit and wait is what you do until you're ready to put your best foot out there. If the playing is tight but the sound is {censored} and it'll take a couple of months to get gear, well borrow or wait. You want to go up there and make people turn their heads at how damn good you are when they're expecting nothing because you're just starting out. Act like beginners, get on stage and be pros.

• Members

And as far as if we're ready to play shows yet, what else do you do once you've got your songs down tight? Sit and wait? No, you start playing and making a name for yourselves right?

if you guys don't sound your best in every way, you're never gonna make a name for yourselves...there are good bands all over the place who get looked down on because they use {censored}ty sounding gear

you may not think it's a big deal, and you may think the audience doesn't notice, and that the music is what's most important, all of which is true to a degree...but the average listener can tell when one band sounds better/worse than the others, and generally they leave a show remembering the band that sounded best

not trying to tell you or your band what to do by any means...but i know from first hand experience a lot of bands get out and playing shows wanting to make a name for themselves prematurely, and if you don't have your stuff together from every aspect (gear, stage sound, tightness, stage presence, having atleast a somewhat professional attitude, networking skills, etc.) it's gonna be really hard to get past having anyone other than your friends coming out to support you...once you get out there most people will see you once and that's what they'll always think of you, so you really gotta make a killer impression on them

just my 2 cents...if my band had someone that didn't have gear worth playing out with and solid backup gear, we wouldn't even be talking about playing shows...that's just me tho

most of the clubs around here sharing gear isn't a good idea, you never know who you're gonna be booked with, and you just have to hope they're cool with letting you use stuff...a used 5150 combo would be a solid choice, if i happen to spot one in the are i'll let ya know

• Members

if you guys don't sound your best in every way, you're never gonna make a name for yourselves...there are good bands all over the place who get looked down on because they use {censored}ty sounding gear

you may not think it's a big deal, and you may think the audience doesn't notice, and that the music is what's most important, all of which is true to a degree...but the average listener can tell when one band sounds better/worse than the others, and generally they leave a show remembering the band that sounded best

not trying to tell you or your band what to do by any means...but i know from first hand experience a lot of bands get out and playing shows wanting to make a name for themselves prematurely, and if you don't have your stuff together from every aspect (gear, stage sound, tightness, stage presence, having atleast a somewhat professional attitude, networking skills, etc.) it's gonna be really hard to get past having anyone other than your friends coming out to support you...once you get out there most people will see you once and that's what they'll always think of you, so you really gotta make a killer impression on them

just my 2 cents...if my band had someone that didn't have gear worth playing out with and solid backup gear, we wouldn't even be talking about playing shows...that's just me tho

most of the clubs around here sharing gear isn't a good idea, you never know who you're gonna be booked with, and you just have to hope they're cool with letting you use stuff...a used 5150 combo would be a solid choice, if i happen to spot one in the are i'll let ya know

yeah, well I mean we sound better already tonewise than a lot of bands around here, but they are the crappy who all have cheap ss stacks and only play ximeno's. Compared to the bigger hardcore bands that have nice equipment, we get close enough. As far as set tightness we've got them down pretty dang good. As far as stage presence, how am I gonna learn much except by getting on a stage? I've got a XXX which is a suitable amp, even if you don't like it, and my other guitar player runs a ss amp that sounds pretty bad, but not terrible for now, and together it's pretty decent. If we get the 5150 combo we'll be sounding very decent, so this was my goal from the beginning.

• Members

Sharing gear is always a good idea-- but it does require talking to the venue and the bands you're being booked with. People sometimes get ticked, but I've never seen that happen when it comes to sharing cabs-- whole rigs yes.

I don't know, by me people are willing to collaborate to make everyone's night a lot easier. Cabs was a great way to not worry about settings or balance after sound checks and still make moving in and out and setup and break down easy.

That doesn't change the fact that you should have {censored} to share as well, but if you're so anxious to play out but can't get your {censored} together gear wise, it may be worth trying temporarily.

Seriously though, I wouldn't be with guys who couldn't afford to gig essentially-- how are you going to record to send out a demo for more shows?

• Members
Oh, and you need to get past the whole stack image deal. Nothing you get new in that price range will sound better than a similarly priced all tube 2x12 combo. I would take a good 1x12 combo over two {censored}ty full stacks any day of the week.....

...Point being, buy used. Look for good deals. Don't buy something just because it looks cool. You don't HAVE to get a half stack. It doesn't make your dick any bigger, guys. Thats what ExtenZe is for.

dude are you sure you are a drummer?? Most drummers I know don't have that much logic and common sense :lol:

good post, I agree 100%

• Members

what combos are cheaper than half-stacks and can do metal music loud? NONE!!!! Waiting to get more cash isn't an option.

My Legacy Combo is very loud and is probably within your budget.

• Members

Oh, and you need to get past the whole stack image deal. Nothing you get new in that price range will sound better than a similarly priced all tube 2x12 combo. I would take a good 1x12 combo over two {censored}ty full stacks any day of the week.

not everyone can make a combo work as well as a half stack, especially for heavy music, plain and simple...while i agree that a small amp that sounds good is always better than a large one that doesn't, using a combo live simply would never cut it for me and the music i play

people can beat the drum all day long saying a combo is loud enough, etc...at the end of the day it will work for some people, but not for others

• Members

you can do the best you can stage presence-wise by looking at how comfortably everyone is rocking out at practice, make sure your singer atleast understands the basics (talk loudly and clearly between songs, don't turn your back to the audience, if you're playing heavy music get the crowd pumped, make sure by the end of your set people know the band's name!) there's only so much you can do there, but it's not something to overlook altogether

i don't judge bands by what gear they use, how nice its, etc. i judge them by how they sound and what they can do with it...what matters is that you guys get the full band sounding as good as it possibly can, whether you're using a XXX with a 5150 or bogner with a diezel

btw, if at all possible you should invest in a cheap camera & tripod to tape your shows...you'll be surprised how much the whole band can learn from that...just remember that the average audience member doesn't care if you're kids playing a skatepark, or a big touring band, they'll judge you just as harshly either way

not everyone can make a combo work as well as a half stack, especially for heavy music, plain and simple...while i agree that a small amp that sounds good is always better than a large one that doesn't, using a combo live simply would never cut it for me and the music i play

people can beat the drum all day long saying a combo is loud enough, etc...at the end of the day it will work for some people, but not for others

I am the singer and rythym guitarist by the way. But nah we rock out a good bit during practice, and on two songs I don't play guitar, so those will give me a chance to really move around some. Our guitarist is really into video stuff, and will most likely record a lot of shows, he already has recorded our practices. And I guess I was feeling like you were as combos basically, but without having the experience to claim it. So I probably need to try one of these out first really. Cause otherwise it might not be worth the chance, or are they really that great, and is taking the chance worth it? Cause the 5150 head is probably one of the loudest heads ever, but i've never played a cab. Really the only metal capable cabs i've ever played was a mesa dual recto 1x12 combo, and the b52 at series combo. I didn't like either of them, near as much as the stacks.

• Members

I am the singer and rythym guitarist by the way. But nah we rock out a good bit during practice, and on two songs I don't play guitar, so those will give me a chance to really move around some. Our guitarist is really into video stuff, and will most likely record a lot of shows, he already has recorded our practices. And I guess I was feeling like you were as combos basically, but without having the experience to claim it. So I probably need to try one of these out first really. Cause otherwise it might not be worth the chance, or are they really that great, and is taking the chance worth it? Cause the 5150 head is probably one of the loudest heads ever, but i've never played a cab. Really the only metal capable cabs i've ever played was a mesa dual recto 1x12 combo, and the b52 at series combo. I didn't like either of them, near as much as the stacks.

try to go play a 5150 combo for yourself, i've played them myself and wasn't a huge fan of them, even tho i've owned the head and loved it...you guys may find it works for what you're wanting to do, and if you get a good deal on a used one they're fairly easy to re-sell if you want something bigger eventually

there's a forumite here with this for sale, may be worth looking into (don't let the name fool you, it's a decent head)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=110240776808

Archived