say you've got $600 bucks max and you need a half stack

logansc

• Members

Dude, you could totally use a Marshall MG or a Line6, with vocals like that, would the tone really matter? Good lord!

I understand if you don't like this kind of music, but I myself have heard much worse vocally for this genre especially around where I live.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

the high gain setting on the windsor does sound like a not as good not quite as obscenely full of gain xxx. The rest of the settings (cactus, boot, whatever) don't sound like a xxx at all. I'm not looking for a ton of gain, just the right sound. I just don't like the windsor for the price okay. And I don't fully get what you're saying but seriously we don't kick our stuff around at all, it would have to crap out from just plain playing through it, which is possible, but a risk I easily can take.

Wtf? You are talking about the Penta, not the Windsor, doofus.

• Members

Wtf? You are talking about the Penta, not the Windsor, doofus.

hey! you're right! I am a doofus, thoug I would definitely spell duface. Windsor 's seem pretty low gain don't they have el84's? I don't dig the sound of an 84 amp for extreme metal even boosted.

• Members

Find a spider II, put it on metal (probably orange, maybe blue). Use any cab that is not a marshall or mesa (line 6 products just don't mix with this type of thing for some reason), and EQ it like this:
Gain 5-7
Bass 5
Mids 8
Treble 4-6
Try pulling more from the master volume than the channel volume once you get to high volumes. Not as much as you would for a tube amp, but some so that you avoid feedback and clean up the grittiness a bit.

If your playing is tight, this will sound just fine. Don't base all your judgements on a spider III, believe me they are simply not as good for high gain. the low wattage versions make better practice amps but the spider II heads are the best. Take it from me I am a long time Line6 user, currently using a Spider Valve.

• Members
Oh yeah, I forgot about WGS. I wish I had known about them when I bought my V30's. There's goes my $500 for 4 real V30's down teh drain.
:mad:

No, more like there goes someone else saving money on something... that's not a real V30.

• Members

Go with a cheaper cab right off the bat. ($300-350) Something that won't rattle with a good set of Celestions should work. Shoot for a decent 2x12. I'm not the guy that's gonna say "all you need is a combo". But, I do like using high powered heads with 2x12's.

For an amp, find an old Randall ES head. ($200-250) Good tone, good volume, great clean and plenty of gain. And a good sounding gain at that. The benchmark for killer SS tone. Classic rock, metal or modern metal with a boost...easy.

Money left over can fund a cheap boost or a delay pedal for the fx loop. Plus the Randalls already have a good reverb.

Down the road he can upgrade or change it out, but if you're saying to get it going...this set up will work well in a band setting. gig or practice.

• Members
$400 would be a waist on a Marshall MG

Seriously... save that $600 until it's $1000, then start looking for a tube stack

I HAVE NOT REALLY CONSIDERED A MG SINCE THE BEGINNING, AND BY NO MEANS WILL NOW SINCE YOU GUYS WON'T STOP TELLING ME NOT TO GET ONE!!!!!!!

:wave:

i'm still thinking no one has given me a reason why an unloaded cab with veteran 30's put in it is a bad idea. And I still have not heard of a head that costs less than $400 that I can get a hold of to play, and i'm still sorta digging the b-52 ls100.

• Members

I spend $640 at a pawnshop and got this gem of a half stack:

Marshall AVT50 head

Marshall 1960a cab

Not bad, considering it ould cast nearly $1200 if ?I bough those items new.

Only thing about buying at a pawn shop is you must use caution alot of the stuff is marked up to high.. then again, I have found stuff that was low enough it was almost like stealing the gear.. just have to know about how much the stuff is worth before hand and preferably have cash in hand so you have some negotiation power.. just from my experience anyway.. not alot of it , but I have bought my fair share of gear at a pawn shop

• Members

Don't even consider buying an amp until you have listened to the converge discography 12 times.

Edit: Oh yeah and also Zao.

I don't care for converge to much, but I love Zao! I have all 10 of their albums. It's funny tough cause guitar tone is not one of their strong points at all really, its pretty thin on every album except for "The Funeral of God".

I still need someone to agree with me on the unloaded 2x12 with veteran 30's for around $215. I mean that will sound twice as good as my xxx cab which cost me $600!

• Members

You can get Crate Stealth heads on ebay for $250 shipped and less. Then look for a decent 2x12 cabinet like the the 2x12 cabinet for the V33 head...its loaded with Tone Tubbies that'll give a nice heavy sound . I used to play Slayer, Exodus and the like back in the day with one those and not once did I ever hear someone say, dude, your half stack sounds like {censored}, or you need more distortion, this metal not rock. I didn't buy my first distortion box until after I had to sell the Stealth

I bought my 50watt 2x12 combo a year ago and I wouldn't have any misgivings about taking to gig anywhere. Its got the volumes. In the event the Stealth doesn't have quite enough gain buy a Behringer VT999 Vintage Tube Monster distortionbox/preamp and you'll have gain to spare. I just got mine and for the first time in my life I can actually say that I have a distortion box I like. After I get the kids the Palomino I want for them I think I am going to start lookig around for another Stealth. I gigged mine and never had a problem with it.:thu:

Archived