The Be All, End All for why or why NOT YOUR Amp Cuts.

Chrisjd

• Members

FIRSTLY, I BELIEVE THAT ANY AMP, ESPECIALLY TUBE, CAN CUT IF SET RIGHT.

I have been seeing so many of these threads "my amp doesn't cut, help." It is more than just coincidence that most of these amps that apparently don't cut are also the amps that sound REALLY BIG and THICK on their own.

While my opinion is in fact, only an opinion, look at my sig, I have owned and played A LOT high end, high gain amps. I have also played in a band for quite a while now, and played with many guitarists. Also, I have a VERY critical ear when it comes to live guitar tones.

Basically, it is very hard to have an amp that sounds HUGE and cuts through extremely well at the same time. About the only two amps that do it FOR ME are the Cobra and 5150.

You have guys with the rectifiers and uberschalls who are always complaining about their tone being loose and not cutting. The more lowend, and low-mids your amp produces, the less it is going to cut most likely. Comparatively, the less lowend and more midrange and highs you have, the better you will cut, but the thinner you will sound. So, take all these HUGE sounding amps and guess what, they arnt going to slice through the live mix as well as we all would like them too, that's just the way it is kids.

Another "coincidence", look at all the tighter amps out there: Cobra, VHTs, Quickrod, 5150 II, Laney, ENGL, MAKO etc. These amps are all stupid tight, AND have a brighter, more mid voiced tone.

Take the Looser amps out there: Uberschall, Recto, Dragon, etc. they are voiced darker and thicker. yet they dont cut as well as the others.

Basically, to sum things up, its a trade off. its damn hard to have a super tight and cutting amp that sounds super thick at the same time. Like I said, the only amps that I have played that can combine both qualities are the Cobra and the 5150 series amps.

I just want people to know, that there is a trade-off for going too extreme in either direction.

1. A VERY bright amp will usually yield a thinner, more brittle tone.

and

2. A VERY dark amp will yield a looser tone that doesn't cut very well.

Amen.

Yea thats why I've been thinkin of tryin out the 5150 series again, like the 5150 II cause of the extra EQ on the clean channel plus the crunch is footswitchable. Our former guitarist has an original 5150 unmodded that cut thru with no problem.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I wish this thread would die...whenever I read the original post I want to puke.

Seriously...who starts a thread with "The be all, end all" ANYTHING?

The fact that he has bought all of those high gain amp only tells me that he hasn't got a grasp of what sound he's wanted or how to get it...thus rendering the rest of the diatribe useless. Owning every amp out there is the exact opposite of impressive to me. And he's played in lots of bands and has a very critical ear...wow...never heard that one before. Why the hell would anyone question that...right?

C'mon...for chrissake...

:rolleyes:

• Members

My uberschall does just fine. What's the problem here? My solo recto got lost. My uberschall actually cuts too much for me...I keep having to re-dial it to sit better that way I don't drown everyone out. Oh, wait, I think I made a mistake...I should just eq it wrong and then complain that it doesn't cut and blame it on the amp :poke:

• Members

i think it depends heavily on everything else in the mix/room...if your amp is somehow fighting with the drums, bass, or other guitar then it's not gonna cut no matter what...if it's sitting in between them nicely then it's gonna do a better job of that

some amps seem to do this better than others, and in a live band situation is where i find this most true...the 5150 for example tends to be heard loud and clear even at relatively low levels, when i used mine my bandmates would complain of me drowning them out no matter how low it was turned down...this wasn't quite the case when i had a dual rectifier for a short while

am i saying the recto didn't cut? no! but there was something going on there with the 5150 that i didn't get from the recto, and vice versa

• Members

I wish this thread would die...whenever I read the original post I want to puke.

Seriously...who starts a thread with "The be all, end all" ANYTHING?

The fact that he has bought all of those high gain amp only tells me that he hasn't got a grasp of what sound he's wanted or how to get it...thus rendering the rest of the diatribe useless. Owning every amp out there is the exact opposite of impressive to me. And he's played in lots of bands and has a very critical ear...wow...never heard that one before. Why the hell would anyone question that...right?

C'mon...for chrissake...

:rolleyes:

Sorry if i came off as being pompous, I think you may have taken me a little too literally.

I know what sound I want and I have attained it for the most part.

• Members

So, being recto guys, what would be a good preamp/o-sec tube arrangement? Chad sent this one with a full tung-sol pre, and GT 6l6 blackplate 1's - just not my thang.

Maybe it's because I'm coming off a XXX, and that thing could do anything but what I wanted. Chasin' the dragon, I reckon.

• Members

So, being recto guys, what would be a good preamp/o-sec tube arrangement? Chad sent this one with a full tung-sol pre, and GT 6l6 blackplate 1's - just not my thang.

Maybe it's because I'm coming off a XXX, and that thing could do anything but what I wanted. Chasin' the dragon, I reckon.

wat

• Members

The CORRECT answer as to why an amp cuts or not

IS multi-faceted...

1) The CORRECT amp for the job was chosen in the first place

2) The operator know how to operate it appropriately

3) The other components are selected and operated appropriately, to get the overall affect desired (Speaker cabinet, speakers, Guitar, Pickups, Tubes, Correct bias, pedals, rack gear, signal routing, cables, picks, string gauge

;)

SUMMARY:

Knowledge and skill of the operator how to appropriately select and operate the "right" tools to get the job done.

• Members

Give your soundguy a wall of sound with volume at a wide spread of frequencies, and he'll be able to balance out the band mix and you will "cut" through.

Having a lot of bass and sub bass does not mean that the other frequencies will not be there. While it is true that those frequencies should not make it through to the FOH (for reasons that they'll stomp on bass and drums), many guitarists feel more "inspired" if their amp is kicking them in the gut on stage, and that's fine.

-W

• Members

Give your soundguy a wall of sound with volume at a wide spread of frequencies, and he'll be able to balance out the band mix and you will "cut" through.

Having a lot of bass and sub bass does not mean that the other frequencies will not be there.
While it is true that those frequencies should not make it through to the FOH (for reasons that they'll stomp on bass and drums), many guitarists feel more "inspired" if their amp is kicking them in the gut on stage, and that's fine.

-W

A few assumptions that present possibilities for REALLY bad sound

That the sound guy is qualified is one of the MAJOR assumptions (usually they aren't even qualified to turn on a radio, and they're usually there because they were available, NOT because they are qualified)

The assumption regarding the spec of the PA is another

The assumption that the room's acoustics, and size are proper for thumping stage volume are a few others others

Having a lot of bass and sub bass does NOT mean that the other frequencies will not be there. It means they will ALL be there and make a big big muddy mess

• Members

Goldmine.

Srsly.

How did I miss this one?

I've seen a lot of amps while doing live sound, and a lot of players. It gets down to the guy playing the guitar in the end. It's not the amp, it's not the cab, it's not the {censored}ing guitar. It's the operator. Good gear helps, good gear does not make or break your tone in the mix. Being a moron at dialing in the amp does.

• Members

Goldmine.

Srsly.

How did I miss this one?

I've seen a lot of amps while doing live sound, and a lot of players. It gets down to the guy playing the guitar in the end. It's not the amp, it's not the cab, it's not the {censored}ing guitar. It's the operator. Good gear helps, good gear does not make or break your tone in the mix. Being a moron at dialing in the amp does.

You learn something new everyday, glad I was able to enlighten you.:cool:

• Members

Next time we have a mini amp fest, I'm plugging you into my AC30 with my Tele. You'll know the meaning of cut at that very moment.
:thu:

that little thing roars pretty damn nicely.

I was stupid when i made this thread, I should have been more specific. I was more specifically referring to heavier music applications, because that is the only area I can really speak on with any accuracy.

One of the beauties of your style of music, PJ, is that it is a lot easier to have your guitar heard. There isn't this huge wall of clashing sounds like there can be with metal.

• Members

One of the beauties of your style of music, PJ, is that it is a lot easier to have your guitar heard. There isn't this huge wall of clashing sounds like there can be with metal.

That makes your playing/tone that much more vulnerable as well. It's heard crystal clear. You better not suck. :cop:

Archived