The Be All, End All for why or why NOT YOUR Amp Cuts.

Chrisjd

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I dont like my amp to "cut" all the time. Unless I'm blasting leads 24/7 I like to just be riding along with the bass on a big wave of messy yet articulate mush. I hate being too loud/present more than I hate being too quiet.

One time my amp started cuttin RIGHT THERE in front of my whole band I was like wtf.

I told it to stop being so {censored}ing emo and to listen to some real music like korn or some {censored} and it went back to normal.

Emo amps ftl.

• Members

I dont like my amp to "cut" all the time. Unless I'm blasting leads 24/7 I like to just be riding along with the bass on a big wave of messy yet articulate mush. I hate being too loud/present more than I hate being too quiet.

One time my amp started cuttin RIGHT THERE in front of my whole band I was like wtf.

I told it to stop being so {censored}ing emo and to listen to some real music like korn or some {censored} and it went back to normal.

Emo amps ftl.

wat

fail

• Members

Emo amps ftl.

wat

• Members

If you keep allowing your amp to cut, you'll end up having to stick a guitar lead into the rear of something that looks like this.........

Emo%20Kid%2001.jpg

Is that what you want?

Cutting ftl.

• Members

So, being recto guys, what would be a good preamp/o-sec tube arrangement? Chad sent this one with a full tung-sol pre, and GT 6l6 blackplate 1's - just not my thang.

Maybe it's because I'm coming off a XXX, and that thing could do anything but what I wanted. Chasin' the dragon, I reckon.

i really like electro harmonix preamp tubes in my recto, they have good high gain, but with a lot of clarity and articulation, those paired with the mesa str 440 6L6's work really well to tame the bassiness of the amp. when i have to retube next year (just did this year's power retube) i might give some non-mesa brands a try though...there are some sovteks at tubedepot that have good reviews and seem like they might mate well with the recto. and their cheaper than the mesa's...

as for the original post, i have no problem whatsoever cutting through the mix with my dual recto, i run an mxr 10 band into the front as a boost (mostly mids, i also trim off some of the high end and bass), use channel 2 vintage for my high gain sound, and sculpt it a bit more with the parametric eq in my g-major. a key part of my sound too, is my parker fly..it has a ton of midrange and lots of note articulation because of its light weight and stiffness. before i got the recto, i was dead set on a mark iv, but everytime i played it with my fly, they just didn't mesh, too much midrange for the sound that i like. the recto though, it works perfectly with the parker. so while i think some amps do make it hard to get that cut that you're talking about, there are so many other variables that passing it off on the amp seems besides the point...and really the point should not be so much about cutting through the mix, as it is sitting well in the mix.

adjusting settings in the band situation can't be stressed enough though...your great sound at home volumes, by yourself, is not the same great sound at gig/practice volume with a band.

• Members

i really like electro harmonix preamp tubes in my recto, they have good high gain, but with a lot of clarity and articulation, those paired with the mesa str 440 6L6's work really well to tame the bassiness of the amp. when i have to retube next year (just did this year's power retube) i might give some non-mesa brands a try though...there are some sovteks at tubedepot that have good reviews and seem like they might mate well with the recto. and their cheaper than the mesa's...

as for the original post, i have no problem whatsoever cutting through the mix with my dual recto, i run an mxr 10 band into the front as a boost (mostly mids, i also trim off some of the high end and bass), use channel 2 vintage for my high gain sound, and sculpt it a bit more with the parametric eq in my g-major. a key part of my sound too, is my parker fly..it has a ton of midrange and lots of note articulation because of its light weight and stiffness. before i got the recto, i was dead set on a mark iv, but everytime i played it with my fly, they just didn't mesh, too much midrange for the sound that i like. the recto though, it works perfectly with the parker. so while i think some amps do make it hard to get that cut that you're talking about, there are so many other variables that passing it off on the amp seems besides the point...and really the point should not be so much about cutting through the mix, as it is sitting well in the mix.

adjusting settings in the band situation can't be stressed enough though...your great sound at home volumes, by yourself, is not the same great sound at gig/practice volume with a band.

I had a dual rectifier too, an old 2 channel one which apparently didn't cut as well as the newer ones. I was still able to make the amp cut through just fine, even without an eq.

• Members

yeah, the eq in the front isn't so much about cutting through as it is chasing a sound...without having to swap the pickups out in my parker (because of its thinness, its an involved process) i was pretty close, and just wanted to tweak some frequencies.

and the nice thing about the recto, is that you don't need to cut through...at noon on the master volume, your drummer disappears...:lol:

the problem with the recto is that its gotten a bad reputation because so many people have clicked it to the modern mode on channel 3, dumped all the mids, and started chugging away on some drop d riffage...

when i first played one, i was amazed...the knobs move! the frequencies change! the gain can be turned down! miracles!

;):lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

• Members

I had a dual rectifier too, an old 2 channel one which apparently didn't cut as well as the newer ones. I was still able to make the amp cut through just fine, even without an eq.

Jeez.....a Recto can sit in the mix just fine. It's not the amp - it's the person turning the knobs.

I've also mixed an Uber that sat in the mix wonderfully. It was dialed in perfectly - I had to do a little to the upper mids to get it where I wanted it, but apart from that, it was perfect.

• Members

I've seen guys with Fender's and a bunch of pedals and bitch and moan all night. They have the amp aimed at their kneecaps and turn knobs. The adjust for their live sounds and always change during the sets. The listeners in the crowd and sound guy is f'ing going nuts.

Then there's a guy with the same amp, tilts it back and leaves the knobs alone after s-check. Just plays.

A worse side of this is the guy with the 412/head and he plays off to the side of his cab. Complains he can't hear it and always F's with the settings.

I'd go with most of the time, its the dialer. I play lead, but am a ryth guitarist in my group. I never cut above the solo player. I'm not supposed too.

Archived