Let's talk JCM-900s. Awesome or BEYOND Awesome

Angry Grimace

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Possibly.

It all depends on if I can find a new job that gives me stable cash that's good. I'm currently saving my money for 2 Emperor 2x12's loaded with WGS Green Berets. If my 900 sounds even better through that set-up, I'll probably end up keeping it. However, I have been GAS'ing for a JCM800 and AC30 lately.

JCM 800s cost twice as much as 900s and don't sound twice as good unless your ears only exist for JCM-800s, which concidentally were spikey, treble {censored} only 10 years ago. Apparenlty they magically got awesome once there weren't any more used 1959s to buy. :o :poke:

• Members
JCM 800s cost twice as much as 900s and don't sound twice as good unless your ears only exist for JCM-800s, which concidentally were spikey, treble {censored} only 10 years ago. Apparenlty they magically got awesome once there weren't any more used 1959s to buy.
:o
:poke:

:idk:

IMO, JCM800s are a lot smoother and "round" sounding compared to the 900s. My 900, although I like it, is gritty no matter how I EQ it or what OD I stick in front of it. I went through my grit stage and now I want an amp that can do smooth and gritty. It's a lot easier to make a smooth amp gritty than it is a gritty amp smooth.

• Members

Borrowed a HI GAIN Dual Reverb 100 watt for a couple weeks a year or so ago. SOunded great. I didnt boost or anything, and I play death metal.. I didnt find it thin or brittle at all, infact I thought it was pretty damn fat. Or maybe I know how to listen and turn EQ knobs appropriately..:)

• Members

I recently modded my JCM 900 4500 head for more bass. It is now voiced more for Plexi-like tones. I also changed the power tubes from 5881s to EL34s, which has made a significant change in tone. It sounds a lot better now than when it was stock.

• Members

Morbid Angel's tone is pretty much the opposite of thin and fizzy. It's fat, dark, and honestly kinda muddy and sludgy. And it works perfectly for them. I'm curious which channel they're boosting, and how much of their gain's the Rat versus the 900, but whatever it is, it sounds fine.

And I never, ever thought I'd see 900 love on here. :freak: It wasn't too long ago that the SLX was the only 900 you were allowed to mention on here...

• Members

It's because eBay ran out of reasonably priced 2203s.

Win.

I really liked the SLX I played through, and one guys Dual Reverb, but then another friend of mine had two of them, a 100 watt 1/2 stack and a 2x12 combo, and they both sounded like {censored} to me. Might have been user error, but bright, piercing, and raspy would be the words I'd choose to describe them with both his Charvel and his Jackson RR.

• Members

with 5881's = poop

with el34's = win

with a few mods to the preamp and 6550's = br00talz win.

Honestly, the dual reverb cranked is probably one of the sexiest sounds i've heard. Gotta be gentle on the presence and treble though, so many n00bs are like "GAH ITS TOO BRITE" and dont realize their treble/pres is past 6, where it shouldnt be.

also, the slx is t3h brootalz. Hammer Smashed Faec tones for miles.

• Members

You will recieve all kinds of responses about these amps. I have a 50 watt high gain dual reverb, & I think it sounds great, but it was serviced & possibly modded by Condor Electronics here in Seattle, so mine may be "hot rodded". I was told by more than one person that the single channel heads are the ones to have, but I love mine. Don't get me wrong, I'd love a plexi or even just an 800, but this will do for now...

• Members

I had a SL-X. I thought that it sounded good at 1/2 gain, sort of a Jcm 800 type of sound. The gain really couldn't do anything more than that though. If you turned it up more than that, it would fart and fizz out. It made no sense to me to make the maximum usable gain at 50%. I sold it. I wish I would've hung out to it and tried to boost it, as I didn't know anything about boosting then. I bought a 5150 afterwards, which was a big let down. Total fizz. Sold that for a Legacy which was great. Then I bought a Powerball which was the sound that the 5150 should have had.

• Members
:idk:

IMO, JCM800s are a lot smoother and "round" sounding compared to the 900s.

I agree - I've owned a 4100 converted to EL34's and an '83 2204, and the 2204 just sounded "bigger". Both sounded like MV Marshalls, but the 800 was easier to really massage into what I wanted.

• Members

I agree - I've owned a 4100 converted to EL34's and an '83 2204, and the 2204 just sounded "bigger". Both sounded like MV Marshalls, but the 800 was easier to really massage into what I wanted.

I wholeheartedly agree with that statement.

I've been thinking about jumping ship with my 900 to get an 800, but it seems like prices on 2204s have gone up by $200 or $300 in the past few months. It's crazy.

• Members

I wholeheartedly agree with that statement.

I've been thinking about jumping ship with my 900 to get an 800, but it seems like prices on 2204s have gone up by $200 or $300 in the past few months. It's crazy.

I sold my JCM800 for $750 4 years ago. Shoulda held on to it for a while longer.

Archived