Let's talk JCM-900s. Awesome or BEYOND Awesome

Angry Grimace

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't think it's particularly fair to criticize how the 900 sounds when not cranked up a lil'. Imagine criticising the Plexi based on it's bedroom volume sounds :poke:

I'm just saying, that the Plexi and the 800 don't sound all that awesome when played extra quiet either.

• Members
I don't think it's particularly fair to criticize how the 900 sounds when not cranked up a lil'. Imagine criticising the Plexi based on it's bedroom volume sounds :poke:

I'm just saying, that the Plexi and the 800 don't sound all that awesome when played extra quiet either.

But they're not thin and grainy either.:cop:

• Members

I had a 50w SLX with 1960A cab and it was a good amp. Traded it off for a TSL601 combo which I didn't like as much. I moved on to a TSL60 head and Mesa 2x12 which wasn't bad, but swapped the TSL for a DSL+$$$ and was way happier. I would take a 900 over a TSL myself in the future based on my experience. Other 900's I've heard were my buddies 50w Dual Reverb, but it was cranked the a 1960 cab with 65w Celestions and hit with a Zakk boost, sounded {censored}ing huge and fat and chunky.

You gotta turn 'em up, IMO. Otherwise they just don't sound to nice.

• Members

They suck.

An amp where you have to turn down the treble just to be able to stand its tone is just plain badly designed.

Don't play them with alder guitars with JB pickups with a treble booster then :idea: :poke:

• Members

They suck.

An amp where you have to turn down the treble just to be able to stand its tone is just plain badly designed.

Unorthodox settings aren't necessarily an indicator of bad design, just look the the Mk IV. I agree that the 4100s are way too bright though.

Is there a bright cap mod for the 900s? It seems like that would solve a lot of problems

• Members

Stock 900s are dry and weak and have shallow reverbs. Although of course some people have modded them with good results, and like most Marshall, they respond well to boosting.

Only one of teh three models them had a reverb tank. Granted, that was the most common model and the only one you can still buy.

It seemed an odd choice to reissue the Dual Reverb.

• Members

Unorthodox settings aren't necessarily an indicator of bad design, just look the the Mk IV. I agree that the 4100s are way too bright though.

Is there a bright cap mod for the 900s? It seems like that would solve a lot of problems

Killing your entire guitar signal at the tone stack is pretty much an indicator of bad design.

Passive controls bleed their frequencies to ground - so when you turn down the treble you loose a lot of your signal...

And that is not a bright cap problem. Because it will still be bright, even with the gain on 20.

• Members

Yes, thats what you SHOULD use. At least you know what sounds good now.

Exactly - and that is why i feel obliged to warn the innocent easily impressionable youth around these parts.

KIDS! Leave the 900's to the old fart metal players who wouldn't know good tone if it bit them in the ass.

• Members

Exactly - and that is why i feel obliged to warn the innocent easily impressionable youth around these parts.

KIDS! Leave the 900's to the old fart metal players who wouldn't know good tone if it bit them in the ass.

I'm just glad you now know not to play 900s with JB equipped alder guitars with maple tops, ebony fretboards and treble boosts.

My work here is done.

/thread

• Members

So you're keeping yours?

Possibly.

It all depends on if I can find a new job that gives me stable cash that's good. I'm currently saving my money for 2 Emperor 2x12's loaded with WGS Green Berets. If my 900 sounds even better through that set-up, I'll probably end up keeping it. However, I have been GAS'ing for a JCM800 and AC30 lately.

Archived