Let's talk JCM-900s. Awesome or BEYOND Awesome

Angry Grimace

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My first tube amp was a JCM 900 half stack and I traded it in for a 5150 (another mistake). I never liked the 900, it never clicked for me, I traded it and never missed it at all.

They're not the easiest amp to live with. They don't do low volume well, and you can't do the usual Marshall "everything at 10" setting - they get pretty crispy when the treble and presence are high.

• Members

Used to use a 900 at my local practice space. I don't know what it sound like at low volumes, but in band situation it was the best amp I had ever played (this was like 4-5 years ago where i was just a broke 15-16 year old). Never had any problems being heard.

• Members

Pair it with some greenbacks, keep it on the low gain channel and get the power amp COOKING. Then hit it with an overdrive for teh gainz.

That's about the only way to live with it.

• Members

the 100watt dual reverb was my first tube amp

it sounded like ass on the gain channel (to my ears)

but crank the gain on the clean channel, off the presence and treble, crank the mids and add bass to taste

now slam it with a boost

wham, awesome marshall tone right thurr

took me a little while how to utilize it properly, but i would be totally okay if i had to use one at a gig or rehearsal

• Members

I just got a 4100 dual reverb and haven't had a chance to really hate it or love it. Impressions are as follows: It is a very bright sounding amp. Channel A does an ok clean, my 5150 and Peavey Ultra 60 sound better there at house volumes. The distortion on channel B sounds very close to my Peavey Ultra Crunch/Ultra channels...has a range that covers most of what both of those do, though the Peavey Ultra sounds rounder, and more full a house volumes. I was debating on keeping the Ultra over the Marshall until I decided to dial the Marshall in using cranking the master to 10 then bringing up the volumes with the preamp. Clean on Channel A was much better, and a very nice crunch was there when you cranked the pre. Also, Channel B was monstrous. I then went back and slammed Channel A with some OD pedals (OCD and Fulldrive 2), and it just sounded freakin great. The only problem is being able to play it this way at the house. But it definitely sings when setup properly.

• Members

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

The 100 watt MkIII is one of the best metal amps of all time. It completely eclipses the JCM 800 for modern metal. Classic metal and rock...JCM 800.

For super low, riff driven music it can't be beat.

I've had most amps. I currently roll with a MkIII.

-SOMMS

Archived