Peavey VYPYR 75 just arrived -- first impressions

Deuterium

• Members

Another thing I have noticed is that the Vypyr must have a downward expanding noise "suppressor". The amp is dead quiet, even when there is a high gain amp selected. The noise suppressor works really well, because there is no loss of sustain or artificial cut-off of notes like on typical noise gates.

As a matter of fact, it seems to work very much like a BOSS NS-2, when you have your high gain, noisy pedals in the NS-2's Loop.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Another thing I have noticed is that the Vypyr must have a downward expanding noise "suppressor". The amp is dead quiet, even when there is a high gain amp selected. The noise suppressor works really well, because there is no loss of sustain or artificial cut-off of notes like on typical noise gates.

As a matter of fact, it seems to work very much like a BOSS NS-2, when you have your high gain, noisy pedals in the NS-2's Loop.

I made the same observation here:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2076555

However, it does mess with the tubescreamer/wild pedal effects quite a bit. Try the tubescreamer into the Deluxe and play lightly or just hit a note and listen to what happens. Oops. If you are just kicking ass it doesn't matter. In the case of the tubescreamer into the Plexi it's no big deal at all. On that clip I did I maxed the tubescreamer volume and had the distortion at zero so it was more like a boost.

• Members

I made the same observation here:

However, it does mess with the tubescreamer/wild pedal effects quite a bit. Try the tubescreamer into the Deluxe and play lightly or just hit a note and listen to what happens. Oops. If you are just kicking ass it doesn't matter. In the case of the tubescreamer into the Plexi it's no big deal at all. On that clip I did I maxed the tubescreamer volume and had the distortion at zero so it was more like a boost.

LOL. Wow, we both noticed the same thing. I will try the Tubescreamer and Deluxe combination, to see if I hear anything strange. I have been playing mostly with crunch to high gain tones, and haven't experienced any weirdness with the noise suppressor. And I agree, on a relatively high gain combination (like Tubescreamer with Plexi) I can sustain for what seems like days. Zenman, have you used the XR Wild pedal model at all? I really am digging that one, as well. I can get some great 80's metal/lead tones with the XR Wild in front of the Bad Cat, Brit or Plexi.

• Members

LOL. Wow, we both noticed the same thing. I will try the Tubescreamer and Deluxe combination, to see if I hear anything strange. I have been playing mostly with crunch to high gain tones, and haven't experienced any weirdness with the noise suppressor. And I agree, on a relatively high gain combination (like Tubescreamer with Plexi) I can sustain for what seems like days. Zenman, have you used the XR Wild pedal model at all? I really am digging that one, as well. I can get some great 80's metal/lead tones with the XR Wild in front of the Bad Cat, Brit or Plexi.

Nope, I just tried the tubescreamer for the first time yesterday on a high gain amp. I will try it today. When I first heard what the tubescreamer was doing to the Deluxe with the noise gate fading it out quickly, I decided I didn't want to use it. At least not for blues. I am actually using the Twin red channel for blues now. I may bring my little Tubulator or Dr Jeckyll but then again, I am usually too lazy to carry anything to gigs I don't have to. :) PS, In case I didn't mention (I may have) duct tape, x pattern, right over the cone on the grill cloth. Totally fixed my high end situation. I am now using the setting you posted. I don't know why I didn't do it the first day, I have done it to every amp and cab I own.

• Members

Thanks Deuterium et al for this thread. I have a couple questions regarding the 75 model. This is the lowest SS model that features the USB out. Does anyone have experience/details on this? Is it up to the task of a decent ASIO sound card/recording device? Also, will the Power Sponge attenuator allow the 75's versatile array of tones at modest bedroom levels?

• Members

Aortizjr:

If you are going to be using this new amp for just a grab and go practice/rehearsal amp...then I would recommend you check out the TransTube (solid-state version) Vypyr 75 or 100. I think you will be surprised by just how tube-like this amp sounds. Don't get me wrong, my main amps are all tube...but for a quality practice amp, the Vypyr sounds, plays and interacts like a real tube amp. Peavey really has come a long way with their TransTube technology. I believe this is their 3rd generation, and it SMOKES. If you are going to be playing medium to low volumes most of the time, then you will want the TransTube version of the Vypyr. The tube versions of the Vypyr are more for gigging and will be a bit better in their high volume response.

Ha ha, thanks! But by rehearsal I mean loud rehearsals. At gigs I actually turn down compared to rehearsal volume. Otherwise the soundguy has no control and the stage monitors can't keep up.

When the tube ones come out I will definitely try them both. SS is lighter and arguably more reliable/durable if done right. And probably 40% of the time will be at lower volumes. Also hopefully more will be in abundance so I can try them side by side.

But I agree that SS Peavey stuff has come a long way. I thought the Peavey XXL was an awesome amp. Especially for the money.

• Members

Thanks Deuterium et al for this thread. I have a couple questions regarding the 75 model. This is the lowest SS model that features the USB out. Does anyone have experience/details on this? Is it up to the task of a decent ASIO sound card/recording device? Also, will the Power Sponge attenuator allow the 75's versatile array of tones at modest bedroom levels?

Hi Zuben:

I can definitely get fantastic tone out our my Vypyr 75 at modest bedroom levels. In fact, this is how I predominantly use this amp...for bedroom/practice at low to very low levels. My main rig consists of Marshall Vintage Modern head and 425A cab, as well as a Peavey ValveKing 100 head. I used to use a Roland Cube 30X for bedroom/practice type playing, but this Vypyr has replaced it.

The Vypyr 75 can get crazy loud, however...so don't think that I mean it is ONLY good at low volumes. You can crank this sucker, at it responds just like a real tube amp.

IMHO, the PowerSponge is more noticeable at moderate volume levels. At very low volumes (bedroom), it doesn't come in to play too much on the high gain amp models. The Vypyr's regular master volume and individual patch "Channel volumes" can be set so as the amp is at bedroom levels, yet has all the tone and sustain of a cranked amp. The PowerSponge has a more noticeable affect on clean amp models, providing full dynamic range and headroom on the cleaner amp models while at very low volumes. It also works great as the master volume is dialed up a bit.

Trust me on the volume range of the Vypyr 75. I rarely have the master volume above 1.5 (out of 13 on the dial) when I am practicing. When I need to keep it very low (bedroom) level, I have the master volume between 0.5 and 1.0, and the power sponge at 50%.

I am just lovin' this amp, big time. It can't be beat at $299...and IMHO, would be worth it at 2 to 3 times the price.

Cheers,

Deuterium

• Members

I would like to add that the VYPYR takes pedals rather well also. I have messed around with my Fulltone OCD on some clean and high gain channels and have gotten some WICKED tones. You have to EQ carefully and it can be time consuming but some of the tones. :love:
I wish I knew how to post some clips because I'm not that bad of a guitar player even though I do play mostly metal. But I can play some neat clean stuff too. I just learned to play the new Metallica single tonight "The Day That Never Comes" and I've nailed the tone(s) in that tune EXACTLY.

• Members
I would like to add that the VYPYR takes pedals rather well also. I have messed around with my Fulltone OCD on some clean and high gain channels and have gotten some WICKED tones. You have to EQ carefully and it can be time consuming but some of the tones.
:love:
I wish I knew how to post some clips because I'm not that bad of a guitar player even though I do play mostly metal. But I can play some neat clean stuff too. I just learned to play the new Metallica single tonight "The Day That Never Comes" and I've nailed the tone(s) in that tune EXACTLY.

Esupremacy,

Have you tried foolin' around with the USB interface, yet? I am going to try that this week. I have been playing for many, many years...but have never done any home recording, either. I downloaded the Reaper software, and I am going to read up on it, and give it a try. The fact that the Vypyr 75 has the USB interface and acts as a USB 2.0 sound card, should hopefully make laptop recording easy, especially for newbies at recording (like myself). I know a lot of people use their PODs for this...so, it can't be that difficult, me thinks.

• Members

these amps are looking very nice, Im trying to save up and get a really good bedroom practice set up. I was originally looking at the boss gt-8 and maybe a little tube amp like the blackheart but now im thinking one of these might be a better investment i really dont know though, im not sure though im a total noob at this stuff. Im pretty bored with my micro cube though.

• Members

Esupremacy,

Have you tried foolin' around with the USB interface, yet? I am going to try that this week. I have been playing for many, many years...but have never done any home recording, either. I downloaded the Reaper software, and I am going to read up on it, and give it a try. The fact that the Vypyr 75 has the USB interface and acts as a USB 2.0 sound card, should hopefully make laptop recording easy, especially for newbies at recording (like myself). I know a lot of people use their PODs for this...so, it can't be that difficult, me thinks.

No, I have not tried fooling around with the USB interface YET. I need a cable, lol. I keep trying to remind myself to get one everytime I go out, yet manage to still forget. I have spent a little bit of time with that Reaper software, not as much as I've wanted to though. I have a friend hard @ work figuring out the best way to use this thing to record. I should have his info any evening now. I really want to record some clips straight from it so others will know what it's actually capable of. I'll keep you posted.

• Members
No, I have not tried fooling around with the USB interface YET. I need a cable, lol. I keep trying to remind myself to get one everytime I go out, yet manage to still forget. I have spent a little bit of time with that Reaper software, not as much as I've wanted to though. I have a friend hard @ work figuring out the best way to use this thing to record. I should have his info any evening now. I really want to record some clips straight from it so others will know what it's actually capable of. I'll keep you posted.

yeh please do dude i really want to hear more from this amp, Im looking for a really versatile bedroom rig, I was thinking that the 30w would be more than enough for me (the 15w would be but i like the added stompboxes). Do yo think you could get some cool vai, petrucci style tones outta this? please post some sound clips soon :)

• Members
yeh please do dude i really want to hear more from this amp, Im looking for a really versatile bedroom rig, I was thinking that the 30w would be more than enough for me (the 15w would be but i like the added stompboxes). Do yo think you could get some cool vai, petrucci style tones outta this? please post some sound clips soon
:)

I would really like to push you in the direction of the 75 watter if you are serious about getting this amp and your space(it's not much bigger than the 30 anyway)/finances are in line for it. I have listened to the 15 and the 30 watter and the 75 just seems so much more worth it. It is not only capable of mass bedroom volume destruction, it can do low volume perfectly, but it can EASILY drown out even the most obnoxious drummer with no problem. Please keep this in mind. :thu:

• Members

I would really like to push you in the direction of the 75 watter if you are serious about getting this amp and your space(it's not much bigger than the 30 anyway)/finances are in line for it. I have listened to the 15 and the 30 watter and the 75 just seems so much more worth it. It is not only capable of mass bedroom volume destruction, it can do low volume perfectly, but it can EASILY drown out even the most obnoxious drummer with no problem. Please keep this in mind.
:thu:

yeh i will do thanks, see I was thinking of using the saved 100 to buy the sanpera II but i guess that isnt really a necessary purchase. Do you guys think this would do me better than a boss gt-8 or a flextone? I have only been playing guitar for 4 months but i have been saving all summer and plan on getting a job part time during uni and want to put together a really nice set up. I am looking at the ibanez rg1570 or a godin freeway floyd for my guitar. And then i want a really versatile amp/effects set up to go with it. Also do you reckon you can take that batman style thing off the front? im not too keen on it, i mean obviously its not a deal breaker but it is a bit of a turn off

• Members
yeh i will do thanks, see I was thinking of using the saved 100 to buy the sanpera II but i guess that isnt really a necessary purchase. Do you guys think this would do me better than a boss gt-8 or a flextone? I have only been playing guitar for 4 months but i have been saving all summer and plan on getting a job part time during uni and want to put together a really nice set up. I am looking at the ibanez rg1570 or a godin freeway floyd for my guitar. And then i want a really versatile amp/effects set up to go with it. Also do you reckon you can take that batman style thing off the front? im not too keen on it, i mean obviously its not a deal breaker but it is a bit of a turn off

You should definitely base your rig around one. That way, when the initial HCAF hype factor dies in two to three months, and most of the early buyers have flipped them for something else (or shelved them because they're so cheap and resale value will suck), we can all enjoy making fun of you for using it as your main amp. :snax:

• Members

You should definitely base your rig around one. That way, when the initial HCAF hype factor dies in two to three months, and most of the early buyers have flipped them for something else (or shelved them because they're so cheap and resale value will suck), we can all enjoy making fun of you for using it as your main amp.
:snax:

Dude, the guy has been playing guitar for FOUR friggin' months. Just what would you recommend he purchase, that has more value and bang for the buck then the Peavey Vypyr 75, at $299 ?? I have spent that much on a single pedal. While I use my Vypyr for bedroom/practice, the amp can get crazy loud, and is perfectly suitable to holding it's own in a band setting.

• Members

Dude, the guy has been playing guitar for FOUR friggin' months. Just what would you recommend he purchase, that has more value and bang for the buck then the Peavey Vypyr 75, at $299 ?? I have spent that much on a single pedal. While I use my Vypyr for bedroom/practice, the amp can get crazy loud, and is perfectly suitable to holding it's own in a band setting.

Sarcasm, my friend. :facepalm: It was more a comment on the dynamics of the typical HCAF hype fiesta than an actual recommendation.

FWIW, I'm sure the Vypyr is a great value for a practice/backup/beginner-main amp based on what I've heard here.

So just to make myself useful:

OP: In addition to the oh so hip today Vypyr, some other $299 class amps to look at/research:

• Tech 21 Trademark 30 (I see one new for $299 on eBay right now)

• Used Line 6 Duoverb 2x12 combo (I've seen these go as cheap as $200 used)

• Used Line 6 Flextone II/III combos

• Behringer V-Ampire LX210 (these go new for $250)

• Vox Valvetronix Amps (you could get a 30 Watter easily and probably find a used 50 in this price class)

• Johnson Modeling Amp Combos (used, these are discontinued)

Avoid: All flavors of L6 Spider Series.

Or

You could go with a used small quality tube amp in that price range and build up a really nice rig that will take a long time to outgrow. Examples:

• Peavey Classic 30

• Fender HRD

• Fender Blues Junior

• Crate V-Series Amps

Or

Get an inexpensive desktop modeler (Tonelab, V-Amp, POD2, Johnson J-Station) for practice and discovering your tone preferences, while save up for something a level or two up.

In general, IMHO, buying used is a great way to maximize bang for the buck.

• Members

lol cheers m8 but im not offended by it, im in the UK btw so its alot more expensive here but what isnt :) The 75 watt is 240 pounds cheapest which as im sure you know is alot more than 300usd the 30w is 140 pounds which aint too bad. and to the above recommendations thanks, i have already had my eye on the line 6 flextone but then i found out about this and it looks quite promising it is cheaper than the flextone and looks to have more features. I have also been looking at the cheap valve combos like you have suggested but im not really sure that a 30w tube amp is appropriate for a shared house I would never be able to turn it up enough to make it worthwhile so im still not sure. I am also thinking that the boss gt8 might be worth a look as they are quite cheap on ebay now since the gt10 came about and i have watched alot of videos on youtube of people covering vai/petrucci/satch and getting great tones out of it. I really dont know though like i said im a total noob but im saving like mad atm to get a nice rig that will last me a while. I have a microcube at the moment and im kinda sick of it already nothing on it sounds all that great anymore im not sure if its my ears changing or just that its dying lol.

• Members

I have also been looking at the cheap valve combos like you have suggested but im not really sure that a 30w tube amp is appropriate for a shared house I would never be able to turn it up enough to make it worthwhile so im still not sure.

That's definitely a valid concern. I guess it depends on whether you can get happy with the sounds at low volumes and what your future aspirations or expectations would be in terms of growing your gear collection. ;)

I have a Peavey Classic 30, for example, and have to admit, it can shake walls at fairly low master volume values so there's not much headroom on the dial for practice. I feed it with a preamp much of the time, though, so I have a couple of ways to control level at various points in the signal chain to get a usable low volume tone and can even do headphone based practice with the FX units' cab emulation but it shines at higher volumes like most tube stuff... BUT I've heard great 5150 clips here that were low volume so I'm sure it's possible with most rigs that sound good.

You could also look at the rash of affordable newer low power tube amps as an option if you are thinking non-gigging volume options will be necessary for a long time but still would like to try something with glowing glass. :)

Low volumes tend to normalize everything anyway.

• Members

lol il be honest i have no idea what all this preamp, poweramp stuff is. I was looking at the blackheart tube amps which start at like 3 watts or somin so that would probably work okay but im just worried it wont be as versatile as i would like. I suppose the dream is to have a peavey jsx combo or something like that as i love satch, petrucci and vai. Thats why the the boss gt6/8 was my original idea as alot of people on youtube who cover them use them such as this guy

who also has the guitar im planning on buying. When i saw that this vypyr amp had a jsx setting i got a bit excited hoping i might be able to get a decent tone and have versatility but im going to wait till there are more reviews and sound clips available and then try one myself. In the UK laney amps are very cheap most peavey classic 30s on ebay are about 250-350 pound whereas a laney vc15 went for 120 earlier and they are all tube would they work well with the boss gt? it says it has an effects loop which is good right?

• Members

Definitely some viable alternatives if you don't mind sacrificing tone and features. :poke:

so your saying that the vypyr is better than what he suggested? i just want something i can use in my bedroom, doesnt cost a fortune and will give me a sweet petrucci like lead tone, an okay rock tone and a bit of a bluesy tone which is a lot to ask I know but whats going to be the closest to what i want? getting a vypyr or flextone style amp, a small tube amp and some pedals or a boss gt6/8 and just use headphones with it. I suppose with the boss gt I have something i can use with all the amps i buy in the future but then again i doubt i will outgrow any of the amps im looking at any time soon anyway.

Archived