Peavey VYPYR 75 just arrived -- first impressions

Deuterium

• Members

but, i'm comparing it to the new valvetronix (black and crome)

and does the tube version sound better? if you ever have tested one

I have not tried the tube version of the Vypyr. It hasn't been released yet. But then again, I wasn't looking for, nor did I want a tube-based modeling amp. I already have a phenomenal tube amp as my main rig (Marshall Vintage Modern 2466 head w/ 425A cab).

What I wanted was a versatile solid state based modeling combo for practice/bedroom playing and just general noodling around. I was unsatisfied with my Roland Cube 30, and hated the other alternatives (Line 6 spiders, cheap Vox Valvetronix series -- chrome and black, Marshall MG, etc.)

If you are asking me how the Peavey Vypyr 75 compares to the Vox Valvetronix chrome and black series, my answer is quite simple...it blows them away, in ALL aspects. As I mentioned previously, the original Vox Valvetronix "Blue" series are a completely different story.

Peavey has set a new bar and standard for amp modeling in the $500 and sub price category.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've done some more testing and experimenting, and can report that this Peavey VYPYR 75 takes outboard stompbox pedals very well. I tried both an AnalogMan modded DOD 308, as well as Digitech Bad Monkey OD pedal in front of the Clean channels of the Bad Cat, the Classic 50, the Deluxe, and Brit and the Plexi. The Vypyr continues to impress. It responded to the real stompboxes like a traditional tube amp.

I have had poor results, in the past, when using outboard distortion or OD stompboxes in front of digital modelers. I think the boosted signal from the pedals would overload the DSP preamp section of the digital modelers, which would result in some ugly clipping. This is not an issue with the Vypyr, which responds quite naturally to the pedals. I presume this is due to the all analog preamp in the Vypyr. However, the built-in Tube Screamer, XR Wild distortion and X Boost pedal models sound so good, there really is no need to use any external pedals.

• Members

unfortunately...one still needs to run pedals with the vypyr. without the sanpera foot switch, you just can't use this live in any really meaningful manner. Can't switch on stompbox effects, or quickly change presets. So for now, i am just using amp models, and some rack effects in my presets with pedals in front of the amp. I do find that it is somewhat hard to get a nice clean "jazz" sound, which i tend to like. The rock sounds are quite good. I have gravitaed to the twin, deluxe and classic amp models, with a touch of reverb, or delay, or maybe some slap. Usually i have the pregain almost off. BUT it does seem to handle the pedals just fine! as noted in a prvious post.

Just my preference.

Byron123

• Members

unfortunately...one still needs to run pedals with the vypyr. without the sanpera foot switch, you just can't use this live in any really meaningful manner. Can't switch on stompbox effects, or quickly change presets. So for now, i am just using amp models, and some rack effects in my presets with pedals in front of the amp. I do find that it is somewhat hard to get a nice clean "jazz" sound, which i tend to like. The rock sounds are quite good. I have gravitaed to the twin, deluxe and classic amp models, with a touch of reverb, or delay, or maybe some slap. Usually i have the pregain almost off. BUT it does seem to handle the pedals just fine! as noted in a prvious post.

Just my preference.

Byron123

Hi Byron,

For a nice jazz tone, try running the "Squeeze" compressor (great model of the Dan Armstrong Orange Squeezer) in front of the Deluxe or Classic amp models. Set the compressor to taste, but start with the level and sustain/sensitivity both at noon. Also try it in front of the Bad Cat model, on the clean setting.

Cheers,

John

• Members

Just my preference.

Byron123

Any midi foot switch will change the patches. It is simply a matter of setting up the same sound in two locations, one with the desired pedal from the VYPYR's effects and one without, then switching between them. At least that works until the Sanpera gets here.

• Members

Any midi foot switch will change the patches. It is simply a matter of setting up the same sound in two locations, one with the desired pedal from the VYPYR's effects and one without, then switching between them. At least that works until the Sanpera gets here.

Ohh, good point. I had forgotten about that. Thanks Zentman.

Incidentally, I probably will only be getting the Sanpera 1. I mean, I am only using my Vypyr 75 as a practice amp...I'm not gigging with it. I am fine with just manually switching presets by hand. However, I may want to use the Looper function at some time. And for that, I will need at least the Sanpera 1. The Sanpera 2 would be way over-kill for my purposes.

• Members

Aortizjr:

I have to say I would put the Peavey Vypyr 75 ahead of my GSP1101, in terms of the feel, dynamics and tone of the distortions and amp models. I use my GSP1101 strictly for the post-amp digital effects, and have it connected in the FX loop of my Marshall Vintage Modern.

I am truly impressed with Peavey's implementation of their latest generation, all analog "TransTube" technology. IMHO, it sounds better then any other modeling combo amp in it's price category, and in current production...which includes Line 6 Spider series, Vox Valvetronix Chrome and Black series, Roland Cube series, and Marshall MG series. In fact, I would go so far as to say the only other modeler that can hold its own versus the Vypyr would be the original Vox Valvetronix "Blue" combo and heads. The original Vox Valvetronix AD60 "blue" combo was like 3 times the cost of the Vypyr 75, however, and is no longer in production...so I am not sure how fair a comparison that would be.

The only potential downfall or drawback of the Vypyr series, I can think of at the moment, is the cheap construction and components, and questionable road worthiness and longevity.

Very interesting since I consider the GSP1101 to have the best response and feel out of any modeler I have tried. But for me it has also become simply an FX processor and cabinet emulator.

But I am looking for a grab and go sort of rehearsal amp now that I am in multiple bands that all practice in basements. Running 4x12's and 2x12's with my head, rack, pedalboard, guitars is really getting old. I was almost ready to jump on a Spider Valve. But I think I may wait till the tube Vypyr versions come out.

Thanks for the reviews and the response. I will still try before I buy, but it inspires me to lug my stuff around till I can try the tube version.

• Members

I have had poor results, in the past, when using outboard distortion or OD stompboxes in front of digital modelers. I think the boosted signal from the pedals would overload the DSP preamp section of the digital modelers, which would result in some ugly clipping. This is not an issue with the Vypyr, which responds quite naturally to the pedals. I presume this is due to the all analog preamp in the Vypyr. However, the built-in Tube Screamer, XR Wild distortion and X Boost pedal models sound so good, there really is no need to use any external pedals.

Have you ever tried pedal in front of a Roland Cube series? Works rather well and used to be my regular rig before I bought the Pignose G40V.

• Members

Have you ever tried pedal in front of a Roland Cube series? Works rather well and used to be my regular rig before I bought the Pignose G40V.

When I first got back into playing guitar a year or so ago the first amp I had was a Cube 60. It seemed like EVERYWHERE I read people were saying it doesn't take pedals. BULL{censored}. Put it on the JC Clean channel and it took pedals just fine. Was it really that hard for people to figure that out???

• Members

Very interesting since I consider the GSP1101 to have the best response and feel out of any modeler I have tried. But for me it has also become simply an FX processor and cabinet emulator.

But I am looking for a grab and go sort of rehearsal amp now that I am in multiple bands that all practice in basements. Running 4x12's and 2x12's with my head, rack, pedalboard, guitars is really getting old. I was almost ready to jump on a Spider Valve. But I think I may wait till the tube Vypyr versions come out.

Thanks for the reviews and the response. I will still try before I buy, but it inspires me to lug my stuff around till I can try the tube version.

Aortizjr:

If you are going to be using this new amp for just a grab and go practice/rehearsal amp...then I would recommend you check out the TransTube (solid-state version) Vypyr 75 or 100. I think you will be surprised by just how tube-like this amp sounds. Don't get me wrong, my main amps are all tube...but for a quality practice amp, the Vypyr sounds, plays and interacts like a real tube amp. Peavey really has come a long way with their TransTube technology. I believe this is their 3rd generation, and it SMOKES. If you are going to be playing medium to low volumes most of the time, then you will want the TransTube version of the Vypyr. The tube versions of the Vypyr are more for gigging and will be a bit better in their high volume response.

• Members

I just tried my Vypyr 75 with my external AnalogMan DOD YJM 308 modded pedal, using the "Plexi" model which was set for light crunch. DAMN! Instant Yngwie in a box. Okay, not as close as with my Marshall Vintage Modern...but damn respectable coming from a $299 practice amp.

• Members
I just tried my Vypyr 75 with my external AnalogMan DOD YJM 308 modded pedal, using the "Plexi" model which was set for light crunch. DAMN! Instant Yngwie in a box. Okay, not as close as with my Marshall Vintage Modern...but damn respectable coming from a $299 practice amp.

thanks for the info, I'm seriously considering this amp and the cube 30x

So far I am quite impressed with the Vypyr. Is it going to replace my beloved Marshall Vintage Modern? Of course not. But for $299 this sucker delivers just what I was looking for. I wanted a nice, small practice amp that I could keep in my bedroom...to be used for working out the guitar parts on the transcriptions I make (Guitar Pro 5). I had previously been using a Roland Cube 30 for this purpose.

sweet!:love:

• Members

i played the 75 extensively yesterday, and i gotta say that it's by far the best modeller ive ever played, but it still doesn't sound real to me. sounds like the axe-fx does, too polished and produced, no air to it, but good. the high gain models sound like recordings of high gain amps, not like the amp is sitting there with you. it sounds really good but i didnt like it that much in person. i'm passing on it, for now

• Members

i played the 75 extensively yesterday, and i gotta say that it's by far the best modeller ive ever played, but it still doesn't sound real to me. sounds like the axe-fx does, too polished and produced, no air to it, but good. the high gain models sound like recordings of high gain amps, not like the amp is sitting there with you. it sounds really good but i didnt like it that much in person. i'm passing on it, for now

That's kind of how I feel about it. I bought one today from GC knowing I can take it back if I don't like it. I've only spent about an hour with it so far, not enough time to make a decision. It sounds good for a modeller, I like it better than the Spider III. I'm still on the fence though. I think I got spoiled over the years by owning some really nice tube amps. Now that I don't gig something smaller, quiet, and with a headphone jack is more practical. But I miss the tone and feel of my tube amps.

I might return it and pick up a Pod X3.

• Members

That's kind of how I feel about it. I bought one today from GC knowing I can take it back if I don't like it. I've only spent about an hour with it so far, not enough time to make a decision. It sounds good for a modeller, I like it better than the Spider III. I'm still on the fence though. I think I got spoiled over the years by owning some really nice tube amps. Now that I don't gig something smaller, quiet, and with a headphone jack is more practical. But I miss the tone and feel of my tube amps.

I might return it and pick up a Pod X3.

Will a POD X3 be any closer to your good old tube amps though? I cranked my VL-503 today and got a real good Marshally tone out of it. Then I cranked the Plexi model on that VYPYR thingy and tweaked it until they matched. Quite honestly, the Ampeg had a bit more air to it but damn it was so friggin close I had to go back and forth about 10 times. Then I put the tubescreamer effect in front of the Plexi sound and got this:

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6831991

I really like this for a lead tone and given the Ampeg weighs 85 lbs and this is half that, I will probably still take the VYPYR to the gigs. With the Ampeg I have to bring a rack for effects, with the VYPYR it's just a guitar and amp.

• Members

A bit TS nasally for my tastes, like a wah half cocked (is it easy to eq differently?) ... BUT ... pretty damned good for a $200 something modeling amp, and it's doubtful your average Joe audience member is going to be enough of a cork sniffer to notice it's not teh toobs. I think it's a pretty good score you have there ZM.

• Members
A bit TS nasally for my tastes, like a wah half cocked (is it easy to eq differently?) ...
BUT
... pretty damned good for a $200 something modeling amp, and it's doubtful your average Joe audience member is going to be enough of a cork sniffer to notice it's not teh toobs. I think it's a pretty good score you have there ZM.

Actually, I eq'd it after I recorded it because it had too many lows. I prolly sucked too many out. I was trying to make it sound more like the clips I hear here often. My bad. :(

• Members

Hey guys Im a long time lurker first time poster. Not sure where to post this and I didn't want to open up another vypyr thread so I posted my good fortune here. I just want to say I was just able to get the 75 watt for $209.00 from G. C.
When the link to best buy showed up a week ago i quickly printed it out.

The next day I went to g.c. and spoke to a guy and told him all about the best buy deal needless to say I forgot the printout at home. He said no worries we'll just print it out. Well you all know the ad was gone from best buy. So we talked to the manager and he said he needed to see the ad and verify the price over the phone. So i put it on layaway anyway.

Yesterday I went in with my printed ad and the guy said hold on let me check with the manager and I think he'll do it for you. Well, that manager said come back tomorrow and speak to the store manager and maybe he'll help you out.
Well, i was pretty much sure they weren't gonna be able to honor the ad but i figured hey i got nothing to lose. So i went in today and the store manager looked at the ad and took me over to the computer and said ok your locked in at the new price. He voided my old receipt and started a new one with the new price. So i have 30 days to pay a hundred bucks. Not bad I think. The guys at this GC here in Oregon are awesome. Just wanted to share my good luck. So if any one has a printout I would still give it a shot cuz you never know.

Also thanks to all you guys for all of your awesome input. It's been priceless.

• Members

I think you got very lucky, since Best Buy has the 75watter relisted:

$299.

They also raised the price of the 15watt from $79 to $99 like everyone else.

I think it was Peavey's strategy all along. Let a few go out the door dirt cheap, get a buzz a happenin', then "correct" the prices.

• Members

Zentman , that Hot rodded plexi/tubescreamer is your best clip yet. a tone like that cranked through the 60 watt tube would probably sound damn good.

Can you do some clips of just clean twin .badcat w/ little chorus

I think the tubes will add something for the live gigs and I will probably get the 60 watter as well or at least try it out for a bit but let me add this, the Transtube power amps aren't too shabby. Crank one someday and you'll see what I mean. I have owned some very nice tube amps in my day, some pretty nice SS amps, and a few modelers. SS amps cranked can be brittle. Tube amps are warm. The Transtube stuff is much closer to tubelike response then it is to SS. I can still tell it's SS and even with the tube VYPYR I'll wager you will still hear the SS preamp as well. Tubes still win in my book but this dude is good enough to gig with and since I won't be doing an album anytime soon, I'll just use this for now. Here's the clip again with no EQ:

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6832968 and with EQ:

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6831991

• Members

I think the tubes will add something for the live gigs and I will probably get the 60 watter as well or at least try it out for a bit but let me add this, the Transtube power amps aren't too shabby. Crank one someday and you'll see what I mean. I have owned some very nice tube amps in my day, some pretty nice SS amps, and a few modelers. SS amps cranked can be brittle. Tube amps are warm. The Transtube stuff is much closer to tubelike response then it is to SS. I can still tell it's SS and even with the tube VYPYR I'll wager you will still hear the SS preamp as well. Tubes still win in my book but this dude is good enough to gig with and since I won't be doing an album anytime soon, I'll just use this for now. Here's the clip again with no EQ:

and with EQ:

I'll second that. John Fera of Peavey even posted on the Peavey forum that he felt the TransTube Vypyr's were better suited for medium to low volumes, whereas the tube models (60 and 120) would be slightly better for loud volumes. He did note, however, that their analog TransTube technology emulates the highly non linear characteristics of tube amps better then a digital solution in five key areas:

1) Accurate emulation of the saturation characteristics of the Output Transformer, and the it's interaction with the amplifier and the speaker impedance. This saturated transformer acts like a dynamically changing bandpass filter.

2) Asymmetrical clipping in each gain stage, which produces second order harmonic distortion

3) Accurate modeling of bias shift: An overdriven vacuum tube produces a dynamic and varying (depending on the input signal) amount

of BIAS SHIFT in this

Archived