What's the best "out of this world" deal you've gotten on gear?

Joeytpg

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
WOW, care to share the story?

Well, years ago our band auditioned a singer...he was a drug dealer with killer weed and lots of connections on playing out, ect. Problem was was that he couldn't sing:freak:

Well anyways, this guy had been in alot of trouble and lost everything prior to joining our band. (Actually he never actually joined...we just kinda used him until we found a replacement:facepalm:) He had a couple guitars in a local pawn shop and told me and the other guitar player that we could have them if we paid the $300 pawn fees. I was pretty sceptical but went down to the store and low and behold:eek::eek: He had a Jackson with a stone looking finish...not sure what model, and he had a lime green, yellow, pink, and orange ESP kamikazi. It was custom because it had a jagged headstock, ebony fretboard, and skull inlays...it was *MINT*

So I paid the $300 and took it home. On the way home I stopped at a local music store to show it off to my buddys that worked there, I had one guy follow me out the door and offer me $900 right on the spot...I knew I had something then:idea: I checked out the prices of the Kamikazi's and realized I got the deal of a lifetime, they were around $2,600 for a standard model!

I had that guitar for many years and eventually sanded off all the finish, routed out the single coil for a HB and cut of the teeth on the headstock. This was before the ebay thing:facepalm: Anyways, I sold it for $300 to a friend after I abused the heck out of it, and he ebayed it and got $700:mad: I was pretty disgusted

So there you have it! I got the deal of a lifetime, played the heck out of it, destroyed it's value, and sold it for what I paid for it...if I could go back in time that would be one of my biggest regrets not taking care of that guitar:(

• Members

Traynor YBA1A - $170.
1960 Strat - $300
1967 Gibson B-25 - $85
1967 BF Bassman - $150
1968 Tube Echoplex - Traded for a Private Jack
1965 BF Bandmaster - Free
1975 Echoplex - Free
1970 Super Fuzz - Free
1968 Pro Reverb - $350

To be honest, the Strat and the Gibson I got in the seventies, when they were just used guitars. The Gibson is probably worth about $400-$500 now, and who know what the Strat is worth, it's been heavily modded.

• Members
$550 for your mark 4?! wow.. that's cheap! you sold it off for the stiletto, i'm guessing?

GC thought it was broken- it looked like it still had the original tubes from what, 1989 in it. :lol: Took it home gave it a retube, and... :D

I traded it straight-up for the Stiletto to a forumite who bought the Stiletto brand new a few days before and didn't get on with the voicing.

• Members

25 bucks for a 1989 Marshall Lead 12 Micro stack in great condition in 1997.
850 dollars for a brand new Peavey XXX 2x12 in 2003.
Brand new Behringer V-AMP 2 x 12 for $125, sold it for 200.
Brand new Roland Jazz Chorus for $475, sold it for $600.

My friend has a music store thats closing, he's gradually slashing prices right now till the end of the year hes at 30% right now. End of year will be 63%!!!

He is a line 6/Randall/Ibanez dealer, FYI.

Right now, I could get a brand new spider valve 1 x 12 for $489...when he reaches 40%, hes pulling it off the shelf. At that point, it will be $420!!!

But again, thats If I want. Im not a big line 6 fan. Cool thing is is that EVERYTHING is cut, so the floorboard shares the same discount. Someone will get a good deal.

• Members

Randall RM100 w/3 Modules $599
*mint* Alesis Andromeda w/memory card $1500
Ibanez RG1077XL $550

I've got a lot of nice deals on most of the gear I own, but Ive yet to find a treasure for peanuts at a yard sale or something. Maybe I should actually go to more yard sales :)

• Members

Good ones I remember

1965 (January - all pre CBS appoinments including serial #) Jazz Bass in CAR with matching headstock $350

Arbiter Fuzz Face (pre Dallas Arbiter) $20

Marshall Supa Fuzz $0 aka free

Aqua Puss Echo $20

Plexi Super Bass, June 1969 $800

1963 Strat all original $2200

1956 Bassman $800

1958 Bassman $900

1960 Bassman super clean $1100

Archived