Do you guys crank up your amps without ear plugs?

Cliff Fiscal

• Members
I've never gone about wearing ear plugs playing at practice/gig volumes, although I'm stupid for doing so. Their have been numerous times lately where I've asked people to repeat themselves because it falls on deaf ears, lol. So to speak.

But hey, maybe it's because they mumble?

First sign of noise exposure lose :cop:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I wear earplugs at practice, at my shows, and at shows I attend. I even wear them on the subway sometimes because that can get hella loud. Naturally of course you still sustain hearing damage over time, but that's no reason not to wear them. And for the tone differences it makes I'm way beyond used to it by now... in fact I often think I can make stuff out better at shows since I wear plugs.

• Members

You've lost hearing.....even wearing ear plugs? newholland?

yup. and i'm still pretty damn good fer a 38 year old-- i can hear to 17k in my left ear.. but i'm WAY down on my right. i stood stage right 90% of the time, next to a 215 cab, and we played LOUD, and practiced same volume easy 12 hours a week for the whole time. and i NEVER didn't wear plugs.. now i've got musicians plugs and play with 1/3 of the wattage... and don't practice NEARLY the same amount. i'm sure doing engineering work and live sound didn't help much either.. which you can't really use plugs for.. so part of it may be from that.

• Members
Sarcasm or not mp3 players are going to be the cause of a lot of hearing lose in younger generations, those little amps can reach pretty high dBs and they are RIGHT on your ear.

Yeah, I saw some sort of news piece on that....sad.

Makes me nervous every time I use my MP3 player. I make sure I turn it WAY down.....then you can hear the guy's MP3 at the other end of the train. :freak:

• Members

Yell louder he can't hear you.

Yeah noise exposure is noise exposure. Some plugs might only have a dB att. rating of 12 or so, loud rock band is 120+ dB which is still over 100 dB and that doesn't include the fact that ear plugs only filter out down to a certain freq. you skull bone vibrates with low notes causing damage that even ear plugs can't prevent.

you cheeky monkey!

no need for yelling.. i can still hear pretty well, y'bastage!

• Members

I always wear ear plugs, it brings down the volume to an acceptable level, my ears just shut down when I am exposed to high volumes, thus leaving me unable to really hear things. I never really crank my amp either, but of course I notice an improvement in sound when I turn up the MV on my amp, things just start to breathe, but I never max things out. With a 100W or even 50W tube amp things get to some serious volume levels even before hitting 12o clock on the MV.

• Members

tiniinitus is for real man and it is teh suq. Too many years of loud amps {censored}ed my ears bad ... I'm sitting here listing only to the keyboard keys and my ears ringing (and I haven't played guitar all day).

You young dudes take heed ... I'd never ask you to turn it down, but wear damn ear plugs.

HT

• Members

I suffered a good bit not using ear plugs but had some custom ones made. Our drummer referred me to his dr. Little more bucks, but they work great.

Some years ago, AVL or auto volume limiters were required on Discman's etc. Sales dropped on newer avl enhanced products so they stopped. Sony and JVC, Panasonic did have disclaimers in the operation manual to avert lawsuits.

We have a guy at work in his 20's that can barely hear, has a hearing aid and still uses subwoofers cranking as he leaves the parking lot :freak::facepalm:

We tell him his rapper music is going to have to be in brail sooner than he thinks.

• Members

Earplugs every practice with a drummer = guitars up to drummer noise level and at shows.

I've been finding that using decent quality earplugs as allowed me to distinguish each instrument clearly. When your rhythm guitarist uses a fair amount of bass on his rig, I usually find the bassist disappears... at least on my side of the stage/setup and ear plugs are helping with the separation and mistakes.

• Members

i wore earplugs whenever i played shows. that {censored} gets {censored}in loud, especially when you're standing about 5ft from the drums. any half decent earplugs will just decrease the volume and not destroy your ability to hear certain things you need to hear. plus, you get used to them

• Members
I hear people say "it sounds best when cranked" or "it doesn't give up the goods until it's cranked"

ya'll doing this without ear plugs?

:freak:

I never wear earplugs unless I'm running sound. I don't play overly loud in the house, a little quieter than at gigs, and practices are very unloud.

• Members

I wear them at band practice, when we play and at shows. I only started this a couple years ago. I can't handle standing next to a drum kit without ear plugs. I do not wear them if it is just me cranking up for a while though. It is not good on the ears but I love turning up sometimes. I can't use those foam plugs. They block too much out.

• Members

I turn up pretty loud while just practicing in the house.. i usually max out the 18w and it seems to be right about the loudness threshold for my ears.. any louder and it would be painful.. my hearing is still a little fuzzy when im done practicing.. i should probably start waering earplugs.. tinnitus is a bitch.

• Members
yea after crankin my amp and my music from teh ipod, my hearing has decreased .....whats the point of ear plugs? if you go deaf they have hearing aids

I'm going to have to disagree with this...lol

I've been a diesel mechanic for almost 5 years now, and since I started I've lost a fair amount of my hearing due to engines/impact tools etc. It's nothing but a pain in the ass not being able to hear your favourite songs, people talking and worst of all, your own tone.:cry:

Don't let it get to that point, doesn't mean you have to wear them all the time. But once and awhile take care of them. They have to last you awhile.:thu:

Okay my lecture is done now:p

Archived