Official Matamp/vintage-Orange/Electric owners thread

BlackHive

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

In:

RIMG0002.JPG

G12H30s are the speaker for these amps, but I've had pretty good luck pairing it with a standard Marshall 1960 w/ G12T75s for more modern rock tones.

OMG, that is the sickest amp I've ever seen :eek: Looks fuckin brootal!!

Pardon my asking, but can it do high gain stuff? :confused:

• Members

You can play rock music on it. But it is a vintage sounding amp and kind of spongy. I wouldn't say it is a high gain amplifier - not like a Mesa or 5150 or something.

Saying that - this is recorded using it:

http://www.turner-designs.com/mp3/socruelhcaf.mp3

The heaviest bit is after the first chorus.

Oh yeah - the eyes of the bull light up red when you kick in the overdrive off the footswitch.

• Members

You can play rock music on it. But it is a vintage sounding amp and kind of spongy. I wouldn't say it is a high gain amplifier - not like a Mesa or 5150 or something.

Oh yeah - the eyes of the bull light up red when you kick in the overdrive off the footswitch.

It's got a very nice sound to it. Thanks for sharing that song. I loved it! Is this your band?

I'm trying to find an amp that would have this kinda voicing but with high gain. My music is somewhat close that song in your link, but it's heavier. So my ideal tone would be a vintage/british kinda 3d sound with the gain and the "djent" of a high-gain modern amp. The closest I ever got to this was Hiwatt Higain 100. But I didn't have any boosters at hand and had little time to play with it - couldn't dial in the chugga-chugga..

• Members

Yeah, that's my band.

Matamp did an amp called the LX for a while which was aimed at a having a more high gain modern sound but not straying too far from the Matamp sound.

Now, I've never heard one so I'm just going on what I've read.

But you might want to check them out?

The 1224 has quite a saggy power section so isn't too good for fast palm muting and so on.

Another amp you may want to look into is the Blackstar Series One amps. They're going for the sound you are looking for I think.

• Members

Was that recorded with the G12H30s?

• Members

Whoa I've never heard of those before. I just did a little research and it sounds like it's made to give very loud clean sounds, mostly. Is that right?

They're pretty hard to come by. Mine's the 50 watt version, of which I believe there were only maybe 200-300 made between 1973 and 1978

Channel 1 is loosely based on a Bassman and Channel 2 on a Twin Reverb (with tube driven reverb and tremolo on Channel 2).

Channel 2 stays very clean but Channel 1 can really roar, think of a bassman but with EL34's and loads more low end and you're not far off.

There's a bit of a story with that amp.

I found it in a guys garage where it had been sitting for probably 20 years. It was covered in dust and dirt, and wasn't working. I bought it and took it home to see if it could be repaired.

I worked out that one speaker had a burnt out voice coil, and the tubes (original Mullards) were completely done, and there were quite a few other things not right, but the transformers were working, so I figured it was probably worth getting repaired.

Got one of the speakers reconed, some new rectifier diodes, and a couple of screen resistors and a general service, and cleaned it up a LOT, and hey presto, awesome amp.

• Members

They're pretty hard to come by. Mine's the 50 watt version, of which I believe there were only maybe 200-300 made between 1973 and 1978

Channel 1 is loosely based on a Bassman and Channel 2 on a Twin Reverb (with tube driven reverb and tremolo on Channel 2).

Channel 2 stays very clean but Channel 1 can really roar, think of a bassman but with EL34's and loads more low end and you're not far off.

There's a bit of a story with that amp.

I found it in a guys garage where it had been sitting for probably 20 years. It was covered in dust and dirt, and wasn't working. I bought it and took it home to see if it could be repaired.

I worked out that one speaker had a burnt out voice coil, and the tubes (original Mullards) were completely done, and there were quite a few other things not right, but the transformers were working, so I figured it was probably worth getting repaired.

Got one of the speakers reconed, some new rectifier diodes, and a couple of screen resistors and a general service, and cleaned it up a LOT, and hey presto, awesome amp.

I love when something like that happens. The other guitarist in my last band had a similar story for his amp. He was at a garage sale one day and saw an old guitar amp for sale for $20 or $30 (forget now). He saw it was a Fender and figured it would be worth playing with even if it didn't work. He took it home and, SURPRISE, it worked perfectly. Turns out it was a late 50s tweed Fender Tremolux 1x12" combo. It wasn't even in beat up shape. I checked Ebay and one almost identical to his but in a bit worse shape had recently sold for over $2500. Absolute steal.

The Marshall TSL601 I had at the time could NOT keep up with his little Fender. Thing screamed.

• Members

wow. I just noticed on that electric that the master is a dual pot.

I wonder what the second pot is doing.

Doing a quick Google search, it looks like that may be a post-phase-inverter master volume.

"The signal from the 2 plates of the phase inverter tube is attenuated in this approach, and it puts the sound of the phase inverter tube under the control of the master volume. It uses a dual pot to attenuate the 2 signals coming out of the phase inverter so the attenuation is the same for each line."

Apparently, it gives more of a 'cranked' sound at lower volumes. Voodoo Amps offers it as a $125 mod to an existing amp. Don't know for sure if that's what it is.. just theorizing.

• Members

Doing a quick Google search, it looks like that may be a post-phase-inverter master volume.

Apparently, it gives more of a 'cranked' sound at lower volumes. Voodoo Amps offers it as a $125 mod to an existing amp. Don't know for sure if that's what it is.. just theorizing.

could be. That would explain how they get so much gain out of 2 tubes + a phase inverter. They might just be designed to overdrive the phase inverter hahahah.

Or it could be something like the Sunn Mode T Super (red knob). That thing has a dual pot so one pot attenuates signal in the preamp as the master goes up, which keeps it cleaner at higher volumes.

I just looked at a schematic for an orange OTR 120, and you're right, it is a post phase inverter master.

COOOOOOL!

Archived