OT: Getting rid of Daddy Long Legs

JBecker

• Members

Moved into my new apartment today. Love that it's a basement apartment-- no AC, just a dehumidifer and I'm good to go. However, I've already found like 6 daddy long legs down here. When I move in, the bugs move out.

What's the best way to get em out and keep them out. One possible complication-- my kitchen is the entrance to the apartment, so I have to be careful about what I spray near my door way, etc.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

you want them around.

If you have to have bugs these are the ones you want. The problem with basement apartments is that they get all the bugs. I do not know if this is a proven fact, but in my experience the lower level ones get more bugs. Good luck with the daddy long legs.

• Members

Yeah, I mean, I don't mind the DLL, but two in the shower, three in the kitchen, two in my living room, and one in each of three closets is plenty enough. I vacuumed them all up, we'll see what happens. They were a bit too homey and my apartment is a bit too small to have literally 10 spiders just chilling out.

• Members

Set fire to your apartment.

That, or the lizard idea - which is a damn fine one. I think reptiles can make really cool pets, actually - a house-trained Komodo dragon being the theoretical pinnacle :D

• Members

do DLLs even make webs? also, they technically arent spiders.

ever seen a cloud of them under a rock or log? THAT {censored} is scary.

Not webs really... but I always find dustballs under them that are really weird looking and get that cobweb feel near by as well. It's not quite the same, and I never can see them, but you can feel it.

And yes, they aren't spiders but are arachnids.

• Members

I say nuke 'em from orbit, it's the only way to be sure........ I {censored}ing hate spiders and especially Daddy long legs. Real giant phobia of arachnids. Destroy them and buy some poison stuff to spray everywhere

• Members

Whoa, that's alot of daddy long legs! I've never seen that many of them congregated together.

I agree with the people that say keep some of them around--they'll eat smaller bugs and that's good. It is kind of creepy to have them around, but i've tried not to step on spiders for the last long while.

• Members

I let some live in the winter if I see them chilling in a web in a corner. Usually they don't move from the web often and don't seem to bother me. I wouldn't let them stay in a bedroom though. Can they eat house centipedes? Those I can't stand. It's hard to believe they could, because house centipides can be so much bigger and are aggressive.

Archived