jet city amplification?

the_woodoo_mule

• Members

idk maybe i didnt play it enough but man, this thing sounded incredible to me yesterday. I played it and i played an Egnater rebel 20. Id be damned if i didnt like the sound of this thing more. The Egnater had alot more features of course but this thing had some amazing tone to it, i even managed to get a great chime out of it

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

idk maybe i didnt play it enough but man, this thing sounded incredible to me yesterday. I played it and i played an Egnater rebel 20. Id be damned if i didnt like the sound of this thing more. The Egnater had alot more features of course but this thing had some amazing tone to it, i even managed to get a great chime out of it

Truth. The Egnator is cool and more flexible, but I'm already a pedal whore and the Jet City has a better IMNSHO basic tone.

• Members

Guys - thanks so much for the input on all these. For now, it's best for us to stay with what we have - since we are so young as a company (just launching) we have to build our brand identity, so changing our logo now would be counter-productive. As I mentioned before, we are going to do some other things with our logo, but, it will remain the same basic circle in black and white, with different stuff in the center depending on what the product is. Anyway, seriously, thanks for the input.
As for beer coasters, YES - those are on the way! Same exact size as the logo on the products, but of course made of rubber...

• Members

I'm looking for a 4x12 cab for my JCA20H and I read in the manual that the head was designed for 16 Ohm output. How much should that affect my choice of cab? Would that mean that if I hook up a 4x12 cab with 8 ohm input I would lose effect or tone?

• Members

I'm looking for a 4x12 cab for my JCA20H and I read in the manual that the head was designed for 16 Ohm output. How much should that affect my choice of cab? Would that mean that if I hook up a 4x12 cab with 8 ohm input I would lose effect or tone?

Nah, there are 8 ohm taps on it so an 8 ohm cab will be fine. :thu:

• Members

When playing at lower volumes, I found the distortion/gain too be a tad buzzy for my tastes. I put an electro harmonix 12AX7EH in V1 and a new production Tung Sol in V2.

Let me tell you, the cleans get even better. More clarity and definition, especially in the low and high mids. Even thought this is an EL84 amp, you can get a Blackface-esque clean. Distortion smooths out around the edges and that hint of buzz that was nagging me is gone.

I am going to guess that the upgrade in components really magnifies the tube characteristics. I have not even changed the power tubes yet, but man...what a difference.

I also went ahead and ordered a 1 x 12 cab. I have not broken in the speaker, but it sounds nice right out of the box. Great bottom end due to it's size and construction.

• Members

Hello,

Finally i got the chance to try a JCA20H through a Marshall 1960 (G12T75 speakers) in France. I couldn't spend lot of time of it but what i heard is absolutly stunning... I mean, you can't get it wrong, this is Soldano designed, you can hear it at the very second you play it. I bet you can fool a lot of people on a blind test !

I really digg that rich and "full of harmonics" sound, the way the amp reacts when you crank it up, i predict it a bright future to it and t the company.

The only down point for me is that I need a more powerful and 2 channels amp... So I am wondering: what tonal differences should I expect between this JCA20H and the 100 watt head ? I'm not sure i can wait til an intermediate version (50W, 2 channels you said ?) is out !

• Members

great. more chinese crap

Bugera=Jet City amps=line 6

Not all Chinese made amps suck!

Now, if you don't like Chinese made amps because you want to support the good ole USA, then OK. But if you think every single amp made in China sucks then you haven't plauyeed many of them. There is some great stuff made in China. Egnater, Jet City just to name a few.

That being said, I will support you if you are simply ultra patriotic and like USA made stuff better. Then again you could probably care less to have my support anyway.

• Members

I'm already a sold out fanboi but comparing the Jet City to a Bugera is pretty simple. Just look at them side by side. Everything about the Bugera screams "adequate." The Jet City stuff screams "quality." Seriously, the case on the JCA20H is heavy and solid. The knobs are tighter than a duck's butt, too.

Compare it to the new Marshall Haze and you will see the same thing.

• Members

Not all Chinese made amps suck!

Now, if you don't like Chinese made amps because you want to support the good ole USA, then OK. But if you think every single amp made in China sucks then you haven't plauyeed many of them. There is some great stuff made in China. Egnater, Jet City just to name a few.

That being said, I will support you if you are simply ultra patriotic and like USA made stuff better. Then again you could probably care less to have my support anyway.

I wont even support him if hes ultra patriotic.

Hes ignorant.

~mike~

• Members
Guys - thanks so much for the input on all these. For now, it's best for us to stay with what we have - since we are so young as a company (just launching) we have to build our brand identity, so changing our logo now would be counter-productive. As I mentioned before, we are going to do some other things with our logo, but, it will remain the same basic circle in black and white, with different stuff in the center depending on what the product is. Anyway, seriously, thanks for the input.

As for beer coasters, YES - those are on the way! Same exact size as the logo on the products, but of course made of rubber...

Hey....have you guys done any cold weather testing????

I say you ship up a 20watt head for me to test in my cold basement here in the Frozen Wasteland of Canada.:wave::love:

• Members

Im not a sold out fanboy, but one week into playing the hell out of my guitar and finding some great tones in the amp (JCA20 and 1x12 cab) makes me very happy. Ive tried the Marshall Haze and the Vox Night Train, and the Egnator, and the Blackstar of this grenre and the JCA20 to my ears is the better choice.

The OP is right, the quality is there.... Listen to your hands and your ears on this one. I'll be buying more product from this company.

Your opinion and mileage may vary

• Members

It does drop the volume and gain a lot but still sounds really good for clean aand crunch tones.

There has never been an amp I've heard old or new that didn't sound like it's tone had been raped with a 12AU7 in V1.Thers always a loss in tone with a lower grade tube in V1.

God 12AU7's are so low gain that it never make sense to use one since the circuit parts around the tube now dull the sound since thier values are relative to the tube's..

12ATT is the lowest I recommend and always NOS

V2 is always the position to place a lower gain tube.

• Members

AT7?

I disagree with this as there are reasons for a lower gain V1 which are pretty common with us blues/rock players. Hell 12AX7's can be lower gain from one another and that is how I have mine set up. Not all AX7's have the same gain factor...some are stronger than others.

• Members

AT7?

I disagree with this as there are reasons for a lower gain V1 which are pretty common with us blues/rock players. Hell 12AX7's can be lower gain from one another and that is how I have mine set up. Not all AX7's have the same gain factor...some are stronger than others.

Yes 12AT"7" thx.

HUH? There was no disagreement in lowering gain.

Oh you mean "Which preamp tube position do I suggest a person change?"

Since I didn't say "never lower the value of any of the preamp tubes"

I have 2 amps right now running lower than stock preamp values.

I said V1 wasn't the tube to de-value.You will find this the opinion of Myles Rose,Stevie Fryette and Randall Smith to name a few.

You read "to suit" as they say

V2 is always where you place the lower gain tube.

It's true most modern 12AX7's are not 100X amplification as thier spec describes.

Myles Rose says more like 70-80.Having said, that a Sovtek 12AX7 still sounds more dirty than a GE or Sylvania 12AT7 with a true 70 rating.

A 12AT7 does the trick for rock and blues in conjuction with lowering the gain knob.If there is still too much dirt you have the wrong tool(amp) for the job in the first place.

Archived