I like Gibson but they're pushing their luck...

guitarbilly74

• Members
I can't fault Gibson for trying at least, but this was not a well thought out idea obviously... For maybe $1500 or even $1700 I could see this being marketable, perhaps on par with Jackson's or ESP's simular high-end offerings in the "metal guitar" circles,(with darker finishes, black hardware and high output pickups/EMGs perhaps) but $2700?!?! Who the hell are they kidding? What are you smoking Gibson?!!!! Because I want some of it too!
:rolleyes::confused:

It's {censored} like this that makes me reconsider selling my M-IIIs and going back to Jackson.

Trying?

This is a clear example of NOT trying. Take a standard Explorer... reverse the headstock, and take a bite out of its ass. Oh, since it's a speshul edition we can back route controls and eliminate the plate.

What else makes the thing any different? They can't even put an ebony board on the thing, which looks like total puke with rosewood and silver. There will always be Gibson haters and complainers, but this is clearly asking for it. All they needed to do was make a Silver Explorer with a reverse headstock, ebony board, some different inlays, backrouted controls, and some good pickups. That route alone could probably go for 2/3 the difference between this and a standard Explorer and they WOULD sell.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Trying?

This is a clear example of NOT trying. Take a standard Explorer... reverse the headstock, and take a bite out of its ass. Oh, since it's a speshul edition we can back route controls and eliminate the plate.

What else makes the thing any different? They can't even put an ebony board on the thing, which looks like total puke with rosewood and silver. There will always be Gibson haters and complainers, but this is clearly asking for it. All they needed to do was make a Silver Explorer with a reverse headstock, ebony board, some different inlays, backrouted controls, and some good pickups. That route alone could probably go for 2/3 the difference between this and a standard Explorer and they WOULD sell.

You're barking up the wrong tree there V-man. :wave: Try here instead...

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/PageComment/

Surely, there are far more pathetic and might I add, comical examples of Gibson NOT trying over the years, that I won't disagree with. I'll leave it up to you provide examples, as I'm sure there is plenty of a body of evidence that Gibson has puked out over the past 15-20 years. However, with my above mentioned suggestions and lower price, Gibson could actually try to market it as a nice metal axe, since most METUL!!1 guitarists tend to be more accepting of more unorthodox guitar shapes, darker colors and use of high output pickups.

• Members

Gibson hasnt released a decent new guitar design in ovr 50 years! Youd think theyd get the hint

Has anyone???? Look at what designs are popular today. Les Paul shaped, Explorer shaped, Flying V shaped, SG shaped, Strat shaped, Tele shaped. The same as it's been forever.

Most of the popular guitars today are originally Gibson and Fender designs. Other companies have just took those designs and made some corners sharper/rounder, etc.....

IMO Gibsons latest releases have been major failures but I like the idea of them trying. Others don't even seem to be doing that.

• Members

Has anyone???? Look at what designs are popular today. Les Paul shaped, Explorer shaped, Flying V shaped, SG shaped, Strat shaped, Tele shaped. The same as it's been forever.

Most of the popular guitars today are originally Gibson and Fender designs. Other companies have just took those designs and made some corners sharper/rounder, etc.....

IMO Gibsons latest releases have been major failures but I like the idea of them trying. Others don't even seem to be doing that.

+1

When they came up with the V, the Explorer and the Futura, they didn't catch on at first. People thought they were ridiculous

A 1997 Gibson Explorer is still the best sounding rhytm guitar I've ever had the please of playing with.

• Members

Heres my problem:

Species

The Shark Fin is comprised of
several
pieces of the finest mahogany, secured together by Franklin Titebond 50 glue, which provides an everlasting bond. The body of this guitar has been designed with maximum tonal resonance in mind.

Are you {censored}ing kidding? More pieces = less tone, less resonance. Gibson is run by retards.

• Members

Are you {censored}ing kidding? More pieces = less tone, less resonance. Gibson is run by retards.

We have run into the Xylophone/Windchime principle of increasing returns.

The windchime is one piece of metal, the xylophone is many. The windchime has one tone, the xylophone has dozens.

Therefore the xylophone has more tone.

Ergo, Gibson has ascribed to this principle, and made the guitar equivalent of a Xylophone. Lotsa pieces, lotsa tone.

Don't retard progress, we can't all be playing windchimes forever. Embrace the xylophone. Or I will be forced to refer to you as "Herr Hitler" from now on.

• Members
We have run into the Xylophone/Windchime principle of increasing returns.

The windchime is one piece of metal, the xylophone is many. The windchime has one tone, the xylophone has dozens.

Therefore the windchime has more tone.

Ergo, Gibson has ascribed to this principle, and made the guitar equivalent of a Xylophone. Lotsa pieces, lotsa tone.

Don't retard progress, we can't all be playing windchimes forever. Embrace the xylophone. Or I will be forced to refer to you as "Herr Hitler" from now on.

You and that big linguistic brain of yours! :love::love::love:

• Members

Heres my problem:

Thats quite simply not the truth.. Most guitars are glue-ups. I'd say at least 90% of guitars from all price ranges will probably be a glue up of 2 or more pieces. THis isnt anything new or frowned upon. And dont tell me the glue is hampering resonance because the glue used after clamping and drying is going to be insanely thin and the strength of glue bond is stronger than the wood itself. Multiple piece solidbody electric guitars will resonate just as much as a single piece, they are more stable too.. IN fact one could make the argument of multiple piece guitars having possibly a wider tonal range due to the slight differences ALL different pieces of wood will have, but even then I doubt the differences could ever be judged..

• Members
I really really want this guitar
:thu:
The joke is probably on the haters anyways, because I bet it sounds fackin awesome.

Trendy hate for Gibson is trendy
:facepalm:

but to each his own...

I knew as soon as I read your username you would provide us with an unbiased opinion of everything that is Gibson.

Thank you for not surprising me.

Archived