Just moved into a condo and there's a newborn above me... FML!!!

dgc480

• Members

Yea, so I just got a fender blues deluxe RI, and I really wanted to crank it. This is at like 8:00 at night. About 30 minutes later, I get a knock on the door from the guy upstairs, saying that it's waay too loud and that he has kids that go to sleep around 8. He was VERY nice, and so I was nice too and said that I was sorry, that it was probably too late to be playing that loud.

So today I'm like, hell it's a weekend, and it's in the middle of the day, I'll crank it again. I was trying out some new tubes. Once again, I get a knock on the door. Now he tells me the whole story. They just had a baby 6 weeks ago, and he takes naps during the day too. FML!!!!! Now I feel horrible haha I've been blasting this baby's eardrums out. But for real how bad does this suck?? Bye bye tone :cry:

• Members

Are you kidding, man? You don't crank a friggin amp in a condo. Is this your first time living in civilization or something?
If you want to crank it, you should have bought a house.

Pretty much this....

I mean, it doubly sucks that there's a baby there, but even if there wasn't a condo is essentially like an apartment, having other people in close proximity who probably don't want to hear you no matter how good you might be....

• Members

Well . . . try to be compromising.

When his kid screams and wakes you up, I believe you have every right to go knocking on their door and politely ask them to keep their kid quiet. :D

But seriously, what are the curfew hours? I'm sure you're in the clear during the day. The lad upstairs also has to remember he's in a condo and has to abide by curfew as well, and realize everyone else around him has the right to be a little loud during the day if they wish. If he doesn't want the noise, perhaps he should think about moving. Goes both ways, although its a little tougher to keep a child quiet than it is to simply turn a volume knob on an amp. :thu:

• Members

I don't know why this is a surprise to people. If you share walls with someone else you can't "crank" your amp and think that's being reasonable. I live in an apartment and have yet to get a noise complaint because I'm only "loud" at rehearsals and gigs. You can practice unplugged/through headphones/at low volumes in an apartment just fine. Are you in a band? If you're not, and don't like how the amp sounds at low volumes it might be worth looking into something else for silent practice at late hours. I would be annoyed at some guy cranking a blues deluxe in my building too, honestly - even with no newborn.

• Members

You probably shouldn't be cranking a tube amp in an apartment/condo. It's usually not as big of a deal playing in the day/afternoon a little louder than usual, but don't be like those assholes who play extremely loud hip hop music in their cars. You shouldn't have to force people to listen to your music, but at the same time, you should be able to play at respectable volumes in your own place.

I live in an apartment and usually play unplugged at night and then use the amp during the afternoon on some weekends. I def bring the brootz (poorly :facepalm:) with my 7 stringer and dorado in the afternoons and haven't had any complaints :lol: I'm sure you can get good tone without bothering other people.

• Members
You need to tell you girlfriend "{censored} off, I own this house, not you. MY name is on the mortgage, now tits of GTFO!

Her name is on the mortgage too as we bought the house together. Plus, if she doesn't sleep, she doesn't work...that means no money...that means no extra money for amps. Otherwise, I would :thu:

• Members

By condo, do you mean apartment? Because what you are descibing sounds a lot like an apartment.

Um, a condo is an apartment... that you buy instead of rent (they don't necessarily need to be huge multistoried buildings).

Oh, and condo's lick ma' balls.

With that said what kind of fool plays music super loudly in a condo/apartment/townhouse/etc ESPECIALLY after just moving in?

• Members

Seriously - big amp in a condo is big fail.

HT5 with a 112 ported cab (p50e) + boosted gain channel = condo metal thunder at really low volumes.

Can't wait to get out of here - I'm moving into a house with a cellar the first week in November. Cobra and 412 time again! :)

Archived