your thoughts on monster cables

esizer

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Say what you want about Monster Cables but the truth is, I've had ONE Monster cable that I bought many moons ago. Still works great and gets plenty of use!

The cheap stuff that I bought for 50 cents/foot from an amp repair shop went in the trash, because it was constantly crackling and spent more time trying to repair that POS than actually using it. :o

• Members

Junk. I got one "free" when I bought my Recto-verb. Took it to practice, and found the plug to be slightly larger than standard. (more resistance to being inserted in a jack.) I used it that day, wrapped it up, and didn't try it for months. I went to practice and forgot a long cable, and used the monster, it failed pretty quickly during that practice. I cut the ends off, and chucked it. The cable was very stiff also. So
Crappy company
Crappy cable
Crappy plugs.

• Members

I hate to say this but I have had nothing but positive experiences monster cables and I own several guitar cables along with several of their short speaker cables for head to cab connections - had them for years and they all work great and sound good so I can't complain.:facepalm:

• Members

yeah.. mine was NOT durable. crapped out. wasn't a super fancy one-- but even still-- i have lesser cables that've lasted much longer, and there was surely no particular benefit to the sound, unless you're of the not small group of people that prefer i not play at all. in that case-- the silence which came out of that cable certainly did wonders for my playing.

• Members

mother {censored}ing pieces of mother {censored}ing {censored}

{censored}ing THIS.

{censored}ty {censored}ing cables from a {censored}ty {censored}ing company.

Profanity aside, Monsters i've had in the past before I knew any better often had problems. I had a right angle rock cable that literally exploded when I accidentally stepped on it while taking off my bass. The entire pin assembly came apart; the tip came completely out of the sleeve and the sleeve fell into two pieces. I've never seen such a catastrophic cable failure from such a minor jolt.

• Members

i will continue to say this....I like the monster stuff not because i think it is superior but because I like the fact that i can get a new one no questions asked...I have more than gotten my moneys worth out of monster over the last 10 years or longer...I have snapped them,dragged them outside of a trailer and simply returned them for new ones.if they start twisting due to memory I bring them back.as far as failer.I haven't had one fail yet...just my 2 cents

• Members

monster makes a nice cable, not saying their the best cables but dont believe people who tell you that a $5 livewire cable sounds the same as a monster or any other "expensive" quality cable... i use monster in my loop

i like mogami cables for the front of my amp though .... if you can make your own cables do so to save some cash ... you can make your own mogami cables for half the price they advertise them in stores

and like magh8 said, i also like the fact that whenever your monster cable breaks, they can replace it without even asking any questions at all ... it pretty much pays for itself

• Members

Monster is just really lawsuit-happy. They seem to make a practice out of terrorizing the little guys because they are the big cheese.

And its not just the little guys in related businesses. They've sued all sorts of other companies just for using the name "Monster" with anything.

After it was publicized on NPR they were suing a, i believe it was a monster themed minigolf place, they got some negative press and the main guy at monster came on the radio and answered a few questions. I'm pretty sure they just dropped that particular suit.

But yeah, the like keeping the corporate lawyers hopping. :lol:

EDIT: I will add I have one monster cable that was given to me as a gift when I first gave playing guitar a try. That was like 10 years or so ago. Didn't give me any problems then or now. They probably won't get any money from me unless they've changed their litigious ways however.

• Members

Monster is just really lawsuit-happy. They seem to make a practice out of terrorizing the little guys because they are the big cheese.

It seems that they're shooting themselves in the foot with their sue-happy ways.

Looks like they employ too many lawyers.

• Members

I've had the same 20" Monster cable since 2002. Seems to have held up. I, like others, bought it for the unlimited lifetime warranty; essentially purchasing my last stage length instrument cable.

But if I'da known back then what bastards they are, I'da gone with something else.

• Members

All you need is low capacitance cable with 95% shielding and good single piece jacks like the switchcraft and they should last a lifetime. beldin is a #1 cable manufacturer and i've had some of theire cables for over 40 years.

I can say I do like the Wirlwind Cables though. I normally make my own cables but I have three wirlwinds specifically for guitar. I run one to my effects board and two to my amps and run a stereo signal.

And Whirlwind uses? Yup, Belden and Switchcraft.

• Members

lots of cheaper cables than Monster with the same warranties

This.

And better made so you don't need to return it in the first place.

But the difference is Monster is at every guitar center. So people don't have to ship anything (even if its paid for) they can just walk into a Guitar Center...and then buy some strings since they are already there they might as well...oh and might as well take a look at that new pedal too... :o

:cop:

• Members

You are part of the problem.

So, you really agree with the "this company is mean so I'm not going to give them my money!" logic? Yeah, you're really sticking it to the man, pal, like every other college hippie who thinks they are doing good for society by abstaining from products they feel are unethical. I'm not arguing about the integrity of the company, but myself and many others have never had a bad experience with Monster, and while other companies have the same lifetime guarantee, they don't have the availability of Monster. If you're a bedroom or studio musicians you may not care about that, but for those who actually go on the road with their music, that's a very important selling point.

• Members

So, you really agree with the "this company is mean so I'm not going to give them my money!" logic? Yeah, you're really sticking it to the man, pal, like every other college hippie who thinks they are doing good for society by abstaining from products they feel are unethical. I'm not arguing about the integrity of the company, but myself and many others have never had a bad experience with Monster, and while other companies have the same lifetime guarantee, they don't have the availability of Monster. If you're a bedroom or studio musicians you may not care about that, but for those who actually go on the road with their music, that's a very important selling point.

So you don't care who they screw, bully, bamboozle or manipulate as long as it's convenient for you? Nice.

Archived