your thoughts on monster cables

esizer

• Members

planet waves offers the same warranty on their high end (read: same price as monster) cables

coreone (makers of the bullet coil cable) ALSO offers the same warranty.

Mogami pre-fab cables ALSO offer the same warranty.

There is no excuse to support a company as bad as monster.

I own planet waves cables too.

But pref the beef I get from Monster. If we want to question ethics about things we buy, our houses will be empty.

Walmart is like a sweatshop glass case of emotion. Everything sucks. E V E R Y T H I N G.

I see some companies charging $100+ for what is essentially snake oil bull{censored}. I could call that brigade out too.

The most balanced cable I have heard is probably a lava. But I don't want balance. Neither did Hendrix.

I'm not saying I am on Hendrix level. I am way beyond that.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So, you really agree with the "this company is mean so I'm not going to give them my money!" logic? Yeah, you're really sticking it to the man, pal, like every other college hippie who thinks they are doing good for society by abstaining from products they feel are unethical. I'm not arguing about the integrity of the company, but myself and many others have never had a bad experience with Monster, and while other companies have the same lifetime guarantee, they don't have the availability of Monster. If you're a bedroom or studio musicians you may not care about that, but for those who actually go on the road with their music, that's a very important selling point.

Pssstt......bring spares next time

• Members

Man, say what you will but I've been using Monsters quite happily for awhile now. I use the regular ass black ones that have the colored bands for the end bits.

They're not any more expensive than other cables. Slightly more than those budget racks, but way less than a fulltone or some crazy booteek cable. I took one in because it had developed some rash from getting caught under my amp case. No receipt, no testing, no questions asked, new in box cable out the door.

Never had one go out on me, toured with them, gig with them, practice with them. You guys are drinkin the haterade. Whats better than free replacements for life? I mean you could buy one at GC, tie it to your exhaust pipe, drive to Sam Ash, walk in and exchange it for free.

Not only that, but as I said, never had one go out on me. What are you guys doing to your cables? Poor little guys.

Sheesh, what an unnecessary hate fest. :rolleyes:

• Members

I used to use Monster cables, but they always broke on me. Admittedly I'm pretty good at breaking stuff. :lol:

The only ones that have survived have been a couple patch cables and my speaker cable. I switched to Mogami's 3 or 4 years ago and while they're just as expensive, I haven't had one break on me since.

• Members

Monster cables have never lasted. The tone is not great for a clear, neutral tone either.

Do some internet research, speak with other players and go to stores for a listen, if that is possible, but if you are going to buy better cables, choose wisely, and spend the money to get exactly what you want. In the end, it is well worth it.

• Members

So you don't care who they screw, bully, bamboozle or manipulate as long as it's convenient for you? Nice.

There's going to be unethical practices in any large business. I'm sure the majority of people here support companies with much worse practices than Monster... who here shops at Wal-Mart, wears sneakers, drinks coffee, etc., etc.?

• Members
Yeah, you're really sticking it to the man, pal, like every other college hippie who thinks they are doing good for society by abstaining from products they feel are unethical.

College :lol: I'll be 45 this year, my "college" years are long past. Don't get stressed man I like the product well enough, I just find their business practices repulsive so I don't buy their product.

• Members

There's going to be unethical practices in any large business. I'm sure the majority of people here support companies with much worse practices than Monster... who here shops at Wal-Mart, wears sneakers, drinks coffee, etc., etc.?

But when it's been pointed out how {censored}ty company A's practices are and company B offers a similar product but without the questionable practices, you would still choose company A because it makes things easier for you.

:cop:

• Members
Man, say what you will but I've been using Monsters quite happily for awhile now. I use the regular ass black ones that have the colored bands for the end bits.

They're not any more expensive than other cables
. Slightly more than those budget racks, but way less than a fulltone or
some crazy booteek cable
. I took one in because it had developed some rash from getting caught under my amp case. No receipt, no testing, no questions asked, new in box cable out the door.

Never had one go out on me, toured with them, gig with them, practice with them. You guys are drinkin the haterade.
Whats better than free replacements for life
? I mean you could buy one at GC, tie it to your exhaust pipe, drive to Sam Ash, walk in and exchange it for free.

Not only that, but as I said, never had one go out on me.
What are you guys doing to your cables
? Poor little guys.

Sheesh, what an
unnecessary
hate fest.
:rolleyes:

They are more expensive. It costed me twice as much to buy my Monster cable as my Bayou. And the first Monster I originally bought died out on me. I was a 15 year old when I bought it, thinking I spent more money to get something that lasted and instead I got something that was less quality for more of my money.

Mine was kept mostly in a practice band room, barely gigged. No spills on it, no constant stepping. I always wrapped up my cord when I was done. Crapped out on me after 5 months. Same thing happened to my bassist at the time.

I don't care if I have a lifetime warranty if they aren't well made, there are other cables that offer that same thing without it breaking on me.

There are some LEGITIMATE reasons for why people hate them. The main reason for me being that they lie about their product. Its the same reason I hate audiophile companies that spew their bull{censored} for overpriced products.

You may not have ever had one go out on you, but if you look at the construction methods and materials there are legitimate reasons to why many people have had experiences of them crapping out.

If they have the cables and they work for you, so be it and keep playing through them. However if I were to buy new cables there aren't very good reasons for buying a Monster.

• Members

But when it's been pointed out how {censored}ty company A's practices are and company B offers a similar product but without the questionable practices, you would still choose company A because it makes things easier for you.

:cop:

Yes, and that's exactly why Wal-Mart is raking in billions. Convenience is a very important factor. You're only illustrating my point here.

• Members

Once again... LIFETIME WARRANTY... The owner made me one in Afghanistan in 2004 when he was first doin prototype cables. Still have the cable and has been to at least 100 gigs and multiple trips to and from afghanistan. Still works and I still use it to this day.

www.lavacable.com

+1. Mark is good people, took back a cable that started going bad no questions asked and sent me a new one.

• Members

Once again... LIFETIME WARRANTY... The owner made me one in Afghanistan in 2004 when he was first doin prototype cables. Still have the cable and has been to at least 100 gigs and multiple trips to and from afghanistan. Still works and I still use it to this day.

www.lavacable.com

Too bad you can't exchange them at a local GC or Sam Ash. It's just more convenient for me to buy Monster or Live Wire cables. I've never noticed a difference in tone from cables. Only thing I've ever noticed is more noise on real cheap cables.

• Members

We've run tests on various cables. Similar to the one Mark Stoddard put in his buying guide on lavacable.com

I must say, the results were pretty close to what he wrote there. We ended up with liking VOVOX the best. I didn't like the way Monster looked, felt and sounded. I also think it's overpriced. Though, surely it's not a piece of {censored} cable like Planet Waves.

After you get yourself some VOVOX Sonorus cables, you will forget anything else exists. Really.

• Members

Has anyone pointed out that there isn't any genuine evidence that cabling can "sound" different when the tolerances are the same, yet? If not I'd like to do that now.

At first I thought this thread was about Monster home theater cables, which are for stupid f**k heads that are so dumb they deserve to have their money taken away from them. I've never seen the price of Monster brand guitar cables so I can't comment on that specifically. Though, supporting such a company kinda' makes you an a$$hole.

Here's an engineering analysis of cable differences. For those who have no idea what any of that means (or are choosing to be ignorant and fool themselves to believe otherwise) here's the conclusion: "There is no such thing as a "better" cable. You can buy a low-capacitance cable to help keep the resonant frequency as high as possible IF that is what you are looking for."

Remember kids:

-Gold is not a better conductor than copper, so gold plated ends is baffling - even for corrosion resistance since the terminal would also have to be gold.

-Wire gauge is for amperage, so thicker gauge doesn't automatically mean better. Especially for low voltage values as the conductor is also a resistance.

-Electrons don't give a flying f**k which brand of conductor they flow down (being that there's no such thing!). If the tolerances are the same from one conductor to the next the resultant factors are the same. Math doesn't lie - your desire does.

Archived