your thoughts on monster cables

esizer

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have a thin, gold plated cable I've been using for years. But I've always used the standard cable from head to cab. Is that speaker cable worth upgrading sound wise?

You use an instrument cable to connect head to cab? Or did I read this wrong? Use only cables marked as speaker cables to connect head to cab. The thicker the better.

• Members

You use an instrument cable to connect head to cab? Or did I read this wrong? Use only cables marked as speaker cables to connect head to cab. The thicker the better.

No sorry, The thin gold plated one is my instrument cable and the bare bones standard speaker cable is my speaker cable

• Members

Horrible lying company that doesn't come near to giving you your moneys worth or an accurate and truthful description of their product. Not that different from a lot of American companies really :lol:.

There is an incredible amount of BS about cables. The truth is, you just want solid connections with proper shielding and good qc on the wire. Most of the work is just the proper shielding design and 4 solid soldering connections. Do not ever pay more than 40 dollars for a cable. Complete waste of money.

I've owned/own Mogami, Monster, Planet Waves, Lava, Whirlwind... lots of different companies.

I have come to the conclusion that these are some of the best cables to get for your money that I have found so far (besides making your own with Canare and neutrik jacks)-

1. http://bayoucables.com/ (unfortunately he doesn't make them anymore, but I LOVE my Bayou cable.)

2. http://www.guitarfetish.com/BEST-Low-Impedance-Oxygen-Free-Silver-Cable-UK-Made_c_19.html

I also recently got this one as well-

3. http://www.guitarfetish.com/20-ft-Studio-Pro-Noiseless-Cable-Amphenol-Gold-Plated-Plugs_p_22.html

It sounds the same (maybe VERY minor differences, but I couldn't notice) to my ears as my Bayou and the other UK made cable.

I did a spectrogram on my computer of the different cables to see what the differences were in the signal and they were pretty minor (which could also be due to me not playing the same riff exactly the same or note.)

• Members

The rock model darkens your tone. They are the devil (very lawyer happy).

I used them.

Why? Because they replace your cable if it breaks.

I know there are better cables out there, but I play standard tuned through middy amps. I use the fat dark tone they give me as part of my EQ.

I broke my jazz cable. Stepped on it. RMA on Monster website. Told them I stepped on it. Sent it back. Brand new one a few weeks later. If they have the same model in guitar shops, you can walk straight in and do the same thing.

Funny man, when I had a monster cable I kind of got the impression that it was making my sound a little darker but I couldn't decide if it was just my imagination or what.

• Members

Why? Because they replace your cable if it breaks.

planet waves offers the same warranty on their high end (read: same price as monster) cables

coreone (makers of the bullet coil cable) ALSO offers the same warranty.

Mogami pre-fab cables ALSO offer the same warranty.

There is no excuse to support a company as bad as monster.

• Members

Years ago, when Monster was getting started out, they sent a rep to GC, I think it was. The guy proceeded to tell me all about how monster had created balanced Guitar cables, that were directional. Now, being a wiring guy, who had terminated literally Thousands of connections, I scoffed. I still scoff at that company today. soa bunch of dickheads selling snake oil, and top of that a litigous bunch of twats? I'll spend elsewhere.

• Members

Yeah, everybody talks {censored} on Monster cables, but they are durable, have a good guarantee, are found in almost every music store where you can easily trade broken cables out for new ones no matter where you are, and there have been comparison clips against other similarly priced prefab cables out there that don't show this placebo tone loss effect everyone complains about. But, you really could definitely build your own for cheaper. I wouldn't know about the ethics of the company either.

• Members

Yeah, everybody talks {censored} on Monster cables, but they are durable, have a good guarantee, are found in almost every music store where you can easily trade broken cables out for new ones no matter where you are, and there have been comparison clips against other similarly priced prefab cables out there that don't show this placebo tone loss effect everyone complains about. But, you really could definitely build your own for cheaper.
I wouldn't know about the ethics of the company either.

Reread this thread and the links some people have posted and you will.

Also that durable part about monster cables is not true. I've had 2 crap out on me as well as many friends who had the same problem.

My Bayou has gone through all kinds of abuse for over 3 years now and still works just fine. It also cost me less to buy too.

Archived