Political Correctness FML

guitarbilly74

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I really think it all comes down to self-esteem. Our society is so concerned with hurting people's feelings that our institutions are making sure this can't happen. This is a perfect example.

When I was in school, you had to earn self-esteem. Nobody wasn't going to just give it to you. If you had a booger on your nose, you'd get made fun of. If you wore pink pants and a purple shirt, you'd get made fun of. If you were fat, you'd be picked last in indoor hockey...It's just how it was...Yeah, some self-esteem was taken down a notch, but let's be real...You make it to where kids just think everyone is nice and PC in the real world, and they are going to be thrown into culture shock when they witness it themselves. The real world hasn't ever, and will never work like that. You have to take criticism and be humbled every once in awhile or you will be in a world of depression/anxiety.

Politically Correctness doesn't do anyone an ounce of good, because the whole world is not even CLOSE to PC.

Tell you what. I was really fat until I was 14. I'm 190lbs today, I was 265lbs at 14 y.o. 3/4 of my family is over 300lbs, we have the fat gene all over the {censored}in place...

I got called fat so many {censored}ing times growing up I decided to do something about it, I started to ride my bike and skateboard every day, joined the basketball team and learned how to {censored}ing eat like a normal person. Never had an issue with my weight again, except for the year I got divorced I went up to 220 due to depression and then back down again when I got better.

It's all about the person and what they do with it. Being called something hurtful can be either depressing or motivating. So {censored} this self-esteem bull{censored}. You are not born with self-esteem, you build it by making good decisions. And I am going to make sure that my kid knows how to build his own.

• Members

I really think it all comes down to self-esteem. Our society is so concerned with hurting people's feelings that our institutions are making sure this can't happen. This is a perfect example.

When I was in school, you had to earn self-esteem. Nobody wasn't going to just give it to you. If you had a booger on your nose, you'd get made fun of. If you wore pink pants and a purple shirt, you'd get made fun of. If you were fat, you'd be picked last in indoor hockey...It's just how it was...Yeah, some self-esteem was taken down a notch, but let's be real...You make it to where kids just think everyone is nice and PC in the real world, and they are going to be thrown into culture shock when they witness it themselves. The real world hasn't ever, and will never work like that. You have to take criticism and be humbled every once in awhile or you will be in a world of depression/anxiety.

Politically Correctness doesn't do anyone an ounce of good, because the whole world is not even CLOSE to PC.

oh TOTALLY. i know a bunch of people who're hiring kids fresh outa college nowadays (no offense, young bucks..) and MOST of those folks' complaint is that they need CONSTANT validation and praise (!).. WTF.. i am not that dude to give such things. SURVIVAL was the key when i was a kid.. {censored}.. you were gonna get whipped up on... the best you could hope for was generally being ignored :lol: but PRAISE?! sheeeit...

i guess this is a similar extension of that-- but instead of PRAISE.. it's just some sort of sterilization of human interaction. imagine when all these kids go to get married or play sports? or god forbid.. join the military? oh, {censored} is gonna get ugly...

• Members

Wow
:facepalm:
The politically correctness that everything is gravitating towards is mind numbingly dumb. God forbid someone's self-esteem gets crushed so they never know what it's like to get back on their feet. For {censored}'s sake, this actually pisses me off :arg:

Good for your boy for knowing right from wrong though...You're being a good parent...It's just unfortunate what they are TEACHING them as right and wrong.

This. 100%

• Members

I can see not wanting to call someone Fat to their face. Ok, I could get that.

I can't see attempting to make "fat" a bad word since its merely a legitimate adjective. There's just not enough :facepalm: on earth to fix it.

Self-esteem is a funny thing. Obviously words can be hurtful. We should try to be respectful of others. But, at some point, you either just need to be satisified with yourself as you are and tell others to suck it. Or suck it up and do something about it. /idealism

:lol:

• Members

wow, if your kid was fat you wouldnt be acting like this. they're children, its important to preserve their innocense for as long as possible dont you think? If some kid called my kid fat and I found out that the kids parents condone that kind of behavior I would assume the family is a pile of trash. Im really surprised to hear this from you guys.

• Members

oh TOTALLY. i know a bunch of people who're hiring kids fresh outa college nowadays (no offense, young bucks..) and MOST of those folks' complaint is that they need CONSTANT validation and praise (!)
.. WTF.. i am not that dude to give such things. SURVIVAL was the key when i was a kid.. {censored}.. you were gonna get whipped up on... the best you could hope for was generally being ignored
:lol:
but PRAISE?! sheeeit...

i guess this is a similar extension of that-- but instead of PRAISE.. it's just some sort of sterilization of human interaction. imagine when all these kids go to get married or play sports? or god forbid.. join the military? oh, {censored} is gonna get ugly...

Not me, as long as they keep signing the checks I could give a {censored} about recognition or praise.

• Members

wow, if your kid was fat you wouldnt be acting like this. they're children, its important to preserve their innocense for as long as possible dont you think? If some kid called my kid fat and I found out that the kids parents condone that kind of behavior I would assume the family is a pile of trash. Im really surprised to hear this from you guys.

The outrage isnt from not wanting to call the kid fat to his face.

Its from the teacher saying that fat is a bad word.

Its not. Its just a description. It can be hurtful, so yeah, you pry don't want kids flinging it around idealy, but to attempt to turn the word into a taboo is not good.

• Members

My kid is not fat because I teach him how to eat right, enroll him in sports at the local Y and spend every Saturday and Sunday skateboarding or riding bikes with him.

So you're right. I don't know what's like to have a fat kid.

However, I DO know what's like to take care of a kid so he does not become overweight. And I do it as a full time single parent.

Kids don't get fat overnight. The real trash parents are the ones that allow their kids to get obese because they are too much of a {censored} to deal with their kids crying because they want that extra cookie.

• Members

The fact that she's been hammering this PC BULL{censored} into the kids head hard enough that my kid was reluctant to use the word to describe a classmate
to his own dad
is a big concern to me.

And there it is. I can tolerate a little PC until it crosses that very line.

• Members

My kid is not fat because I teach him how to eat right, enroll him in sports at the local Y and spend every Saturday and Sunday skateboarding or riding bikes with him.

So you're right. I don't know what's like to have a fat kid.

However, I DO know what's like to take care of a kid so he does not become overweight. And I do it as a full time single parent.

Kids don't get fat overnight. The real trash parents are the ones that allow their kids to get obese because they are too much of a {censored} to deal with their kids crying because they want that extra cookie.

Another good point. When I move to Cali can we be bff's? :D

• Members

The outrage isnt from not wanting to call the kid fat to his face.

Its from the teacher saying that fat is a bad word.

Its not. Its just a description. It can be hurtful, so yeah, you pry don't want kids flinging it around idealy, but to attempt to turn the word into a taboo is not good.

Agreed. But if I ever hear MY kid call another kid fat, he will be punished.

• Members

fat is oftentimes the end product of a bunch of bad decisions- and coddling a kid from their and your bad decisions is just bad parenting. now-- if your kid had some congenital problem and was overweight-- that's a drag- and a different case that can be fixed with a thing called communication- which is another {censored}ed up aspect of this bizarre moralistic 'thou shalt not say FAT' conundrum-- that we are trying to regulate talking about it. but the prevalence of obesity isn't a coincidence-- it's from bad eating and not exersizing. it's also, as billy points out.. a PARENT issue.

but seriously-- you can't BAN a word. on the flip side-- why can't we ban video games, cheetos, soft drinks and bad parenting? they're equally pernicious-- and actually might bring about less FAT kids. with higher self esteem. better test scores. higher levels of physical fitness. emotional preparedness to be in the world. etc. etc.

it's jive that people bust on one another.. but its straight up normal human behavior. it gets WORSE as an adult.. and regulating how we think and speak? mm.. that's not gonna fix it. FIXING being fat fixes it... and if it takes peer pressure and peer pressure on PARENTS to do their job 'cause their kids are being called fat.. FIX it. there's really no GOOD thing about being obese-- it's just not good for anybody.

• Members

meh, yes and no. difference is, his kid has to {censored} foot around a word, even when there is no potential to harm anyone. thats a problem. I always felt bad for the fat kids that got made of (kids would bounce when the fatty would walk by... {censored}, creative for 6 year olds...), and NEVER joined in... BUT its a problem if you ignore the issue, at the expense of sparing someones feelings. its one thing to call someone fat, but its another to pretend the word/issue doesnt exist.

• Members

dude my kid is 9, if she was overweight and kids were calling her fat i would be completely outraged. what the {censored} is the problem with sheltering our children from ridicule?

nothing. it's a bigger crime to shelter them from health by ALLOWING them to be unhealthy. THATS the bigger issue. changing an adjective doesn't prevent the fact that parents allow kids to get fat.

• Members

dude my kid is 9, if she was overweight and kids were calling her fat i would be completely outraged. what the {censored} is the problem with sheltering our children from ridicule?

Nothing, feel free to REALLY shelter your kids from ridicule by teaching them to have good eating habits and an active lifestyle.

• Members

But this isn't about calling someone fat, jnurp. Its not laughing at the fat kid who can't run yelling "Fatty can't run."

Its about trying to tell your dad that the fat kid can't run, but thinking you can't use the word fat. That's a problem in my book.

Also, I agree with attempting to protect your kid from ridicule, but there's a difference between a bit husky and fat. And anymore, its very apparent. Usually, not always, but usually fat is because of unhealthy parenting. So, that'd be a good place to start.

Kids are cruel, and are always going to be cruel, so attempting to teach them manners and how to be nice to others is fine, hell, admirable. Attempting to ban everyday adjectives from normal conversation isn't a good way to do that IMO. :idk:

• Members

the F word?!

just tell your kid to start using the word OBEAST. 'that kid can't run cause he's OBEAST'. fuggit. or just start using the word HUSKY.

Ahhh.... I can't tell i fyou're serious here....but in case you ARE:

The word is Obese, not Obeast.

and if you weren't, sorry, and carry on.

Archived