Political Correctness FML

guitarbilly74

• Members

dude my kid is 9, if she was overweight and kids were calling her fat i would be completely outraged. what the {censored} is the problem with sheltering our children from ridicule?

honestly, this is what America is turning into. a {censored}ing shelter from anything bad. Sheltering people from bad things isnt the right thing to do, its preventing those bad things from happening in the first place thats the right thing to do.

this takes away from personal responsibility and accountability. Just like when super sizing was removed as an option at McD's.

Besides, if you have issues with kids making fun of each other, why is it ok for adults to make fun of each other?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think all this sheltering that goes around today is precisely why we see more and more high school shootouts and kids killing people these days.

Instead of dealing with a weigh or social behavior problem, parents just sweep it under the rug and tell kids " Oh don't worry, you're so precious in your own way" every time they have an issue with their weight, or lose a game or whatever. All these "consolation prizes" kids get these days.

Then by the time they are 16 this kid will realize he is really NOT special , not a single girl in school wants to hang out with his fat ass and ending up last in a contest or game {censored}ing sucks. That kid grew up thinking he was so "special" and "precious" and has NO tools to deal with rejection and failure so he goes {censored}ing ballistic. Obviously there has to be a mental issue (also probably overlooked) for a kid to pull a trigger, but I think this sheltering definitely is a major cause of the severe depression that ends up pushing the kid over the edge.

{censored} this sheltering BS. Your kid is fat? Put him on a diet. Sucks at a sport? Go practice with him and teach him to work hard to get better. That's parenting. Sheltering is not parenting.

• Members

Name calling, absolutely. However, using it as a description? Nothing wrong with that. There is a big difference between saying "you're fat" and "he's fat" IMO.

The only difference I see is that in one case you've got the balls to say it to the kid's face, but not in the other.

• Members

dude my kid is 9, if she was overweight and kids were calling her fat i would be completely outraged. what the {censored} is the problem with sheltering our children from ridicule?

i would hope that as a responsible parent, you would address the root of the problem, which is your kid's fatness, rather than whine when other kids do what i'm sure everyone here did as a kid, which is act like {censored}ing jerks.

• Members

i would hope that as a responsible parent, you would address the root of the problem, which is your kid's fatness, rather than whine when other kids do what i'm sure everyone here did as a kid, which is act like {censored}ing jerks.

FLASH NEWS: MOST KIDS THAT AGE ARE JERKS.

• Members

I've taught my kids that overweight doesn't make a person less worth than others. You never know, a "big" person might discover the cure for cancer. I'm not going to let my kids make fun of fat kids at school. I HAVE taught them that sodas, candy bars and potato chips are for Saturday ONLY, but if I feel like it, I can give them a cookie if they've been little angels, and are a little hungry. Apart from that, they eat healthy, and I take them outside to play in the woods outside, ride our bikes etc.

The problem isn't that visible yet, because 998 of 1000 Norwegian 6-year olds are slim and fit (none of the 75 first graders are close to chubby in his school, and I've sworn to myself that they're going to stay fit as well.

But I feel for the kids that the parents allow to become too big for their own good. But it's not my kids' job to make everyone aware that other kids have a problem. Most people are very aware of their own issues, they don't need to be reminded. As far as using the word.. In our house, it's okay. but it's easy to "slip", and someone overhears it. And I don't want that.

• Members

I've taught my kids that overweight doesn't make a person less worth than others. You never know, a "big" person might discover the cure for cancer. I'm not going to let my kids make fun of fat kids at school. I HAVE taught them that sodas, candy bars and potato chips are for Saturday ONLY, but if I feel like it, I can give them a cookie if they've been little angels, and are a little hungry. Apart from that, they eat healthy, and I take them outside to play in the woods outside, ride our bikes etc.

The problem isn't that visible yet, because 998 of 1000 Norwegian 6-year olds are slim and fit (none of the 75 first graders are close to chubby in his school, and I've sworn to myself that they're going to stay fit as well.

But I feel for the kids that the parents allow to become too big for their own good. But it's not my kids' job to make everyone aware that other kids have a problem. Most people are very aware of their own issues, they don't need to be reminded. As far as using the word.. In our house, it's okay. but it's easy to "slip", and someone overhears it. And I don't want that.

A very sensible approach.

The thing is, societies tend to latch on words whereas it's the underlying issue we should be concerned about. "Fat" is not a bad word anymore than "norwegian", but if I say "those norwegians" with a smirk, it takes a very different meaning. I would not restrict anyone from using the word "fat" but I would temper how it's used.

• Members

Did you even read the OP? I'm not saying my kid should be going around teasing other people. I don't condone that. He was not teasing anybody, he was talking to me in my truck.

I just want him to be able to say a fat person is fat, a skinny person is skinny, a tall person is tall etc... without feeling guilty about it. If that's not a whole lot to ask :wave:

• Members
A very sensible approach.

The thing is, societies tend to latch on words whereas it's the underlying issue we should be concerned about. "Fat" is not a bad word anymore than "norwegian", but if I say "those norwegians" with a smirk, it takes a very different meaning. I would not restrict anyone from using the word "fat" but I would temper how it's used.

Very agreed. And one can only try to make the young ones understand the meaning of the feelings behind the words, so they understand what you just described (much better than I could :)) Because my kids friendship might in instances be the turning point from sitting inside and play video games, to get outside and play soccer :)

• Members
Did you even read the OP? I'm not saying my kid should be going around teasing other people. I don't condone that. He was not teasing anybody, he was talking to me in my truck.

I just want him to be able to say a fat person is fat, a skinny person is skinny, a tall person is tall etc... without feeling guilty about it. If that's not a whole lot to ask
:wave:

Calling a fat person fat is less offensive than the saying "call a spade a spade".

• Members

I just want him to be able to say a fat person is fat, a skinny person is skinny, a tall person is tall etc... without feeling guilty about it. If that's not a whole lot to ask
:wave:

I did :) did you read mine? I was talking about the whole subject you posted, not just what your kid didn't say because of being told that the word was bad.

• Members

The problem isn't that visible yet, because 998 of 1000 Norwegian 6-year olds are slim and fit (none of the 75 first graders are close to chubby in his school), and I've sworn to myself that
MINE
are going to stay fit as well.

I'm obviously not looking at what I'm typing.. :D

• Members

I did
:)
did you read mine? I was talking about the whole subject you posted, not just what your kid didn't say because of being told that the word was bad.

The subject was never whether kids should be allowed to tease others. It is about the political correct bull{censored} of trying to demonize certain words. As if that helps anything.

• Members
The subject was never whether kids should be allowed to tease others. It is about the political correct bull{censored} of trying to demonize certain words. As if that helps anything.

Billy, we're one the same page. I dunno if it's my lacking grasp on the language that makes you believe otherwise. Northstar got my point. You can't be posting here and expecting nobody to deviate or expand the original issue :D

I agree completely with you. I was trying to shed light on related issues.

Archived