OT: Anyone see new HBO Series "Game of Thrones'?

Wicked_Tone

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

For those who have read the books and watched the show....how big a douche is Joffery? I mean, i hate that lil bastard so much that I don't know if I could stand seeing him on screen.

Same for his slut of a mom. though...she's pry hot...

• Members

For those who have read the books and watched the show....how big a douche is Joffery? I mean, i hate that lil bastard so much that I don't know if I could stand seeing him on screen.

Same for his slut of a mom. though...she's pry hot...

They cast him very well. You hate him pretty much the moment you see him, and he does nothing to change that opinion. I actually think he is easier to hate on the show, which is saying a lot because he is a {censored}ing cnut in the books.

• Members

They cast him very well. You hate him pretty much the moment you see him, and he does nothing to change that opinion. I actually think he is easier to hate on the show, which is saying a lot because he is a {censored}ing cnut in the books.

I HATE that lil bastard. I mean, I understand, he's a kid. But I never liked spoiled bullys when I was young and I don't like them more now. :lol:

I give Martin credit. He can write all forms of the human condition in a way that makes you despise them. :lol:

• Members

I HATE that lil bastard. I mean, I understand, he's a kid. But I never liked spoiled bullys when I was young and I don't like them more now.
:lol:

I give Martin credit. He can write all forms of the human condition in a way that makes you despise them.

Yes, that is one of Martin's strong points.:lol:

I had an interesting moment last night while watching. When Tywin Lannister was on screen one of my friends referred to him as "a bad guy". This caught me off guard, because I had never thought of him in that way. Sure, he is a {censored}ing dickhead, but I wouldn't say he is a "bad guy". I do respect Martin for that, and I honestly don't know how he pulled it off.

• Members

Yes, that is one of Martin's strong points.

I had an interesting moment last night while watching. When Tywin Lannister was on screen one of my friends referred to him as "a bad guy". This caught me off guard, because I had never thought of him in that way. Sure, he is a {censored}ing dickhead, but I wouldn't say he is a "bad guy". I do respect Martin for that, and I honestly don't know how he pulled it off.

EDIT!!!!!! Dammit, I confused the names. Tyrion is the one I'd thought of that way.

Tywin I've always considered a bad guy cause I don't like greedy overbearing assholes. So, yeah, I don't like Tywin. Tywin/Tyrion bah.

• Members

Tywin hasn't had enough screen time for me to make a decision on him. His sudden respect for Tyrion and his gesture towards Arya are seeming quite positive though. Too bad all of his family other than Tyrion are completely unlikable.

• Members

Tywin hasn't had enough screen time for me to make a decision on him. His sudden respect for Tyrion and his gesture towards Arya are seeming quite positive though. Too bad all of his family other than Tyrion are completely unlikable.

Thanks for showing me I'd confused the names. I don't like Tywin, I do like Tyrion. Tywin comes across to me as another opportunistic power hungry asshole who has the sense to be patient.

Oh, and a pretty terrible father.

• Members

Thanks for showing me I'd confused the names. I don't like Tywin, I do like Tyrion. Tywin comes across to me as another opportunistic power hungry asshole who has the sense to be patient.

Tyrion rules. The voice of reason (at least for now). Dinklage is the best.

• Members

Tyrion rules. The voice of reason (at least for now). Dinklage is the best.

Yeah, Tyrion is just trying to do what's right as it applies to his family and the realm. Now, I might agree with everything he's doing always cause i hate his family, but he isn't a "bad guy."

Actually a "good guy" that happens to be on the side I like less than the other. Cause honestly, I like Robb, but good lord are most of his nobles the same awful asses that follow the Lannisters. Ugh.

• Members

Was strange to see Tywin there..... if i remember correctly there was another Knight that was supposed to be in charge @ that castle and takes in Arya as his cup bearer, and even then she hid the fact that she was a girl for a bit.... I could be wrong though.. been a while since I read book 2.... but it wouldn't surprise me if they omitted that other knight... time will tell

• Members

I love Tyrion in the books, but seeing Dinklage play him on the show made me love him even more. Dinklage was the perfect casting choice, he just completely owns the part. He isn't as exactly described int he books, but when I read the books now I just see Dinklage instead.

• Members

Was strange to see Tywin there..... if i remember correctly there was another Knight that was supposed to be in charge @ that castle and takes in Arya as his cup bearer, and even then she hid the fact that she was a girl for a bit.... I could be wrong though.. been a while since I read book 2.... but it wouldn't surprise me if they omitted that other knight... time will tell

That is after the Lannisters get driven out, isn't it. She wasn't Tywin's cupbearer, but he was there at Harrenhal for a while.

• Members

I love Tyrion in the books, but seeing Dinklage play him on the show made me love him even more. Dinklage was the perfect casting choice, he just completely owns the part. He isn't as exactly described int he books, but when I read the books now I just see Dinklage instead.

TRUTH

• Members
That is after the Lannisters get driven out, isn't it. She wasn't Tywin's cupbearer, but he was there at Harrenhal for a while.

yeah...she was there for a while...

then there's the whole rebellion thing she does and frees Rob's bannermen... so much more to come, i almost hope they don't have that in this season because it would mean rushing over a lot of other cool {censored}

• Members

Tywin commands some mother{censored}ing respect. Holy {censored}. That scene from season 1 when he was skinning the stag (imagery out the wazoo, Baratheon's sigil = stag) was probably the most hardcore and badass thing I've ever seen.

• Members

All this theorizing, which may very well be dead on what Martin is aiming at, is a little disappointing in that Id actually prefer a fantasy which doesnt have the outcome rely on a 'prophecy' being fulfilled. The whole 'Dany riding in on her 3 dragons to save the day' is uber corny, and is a bit too disney.

I hope all the little mysteries dont add up to the big reveal that so and so is the fullfillment of some ancient prophecy. This is one of the fallacies of Tolkiens work as well, with Gandalf being this returning angelic all powerful figure. It lessons the cost sacrifice and heavily implies a manifest destiny/god plan motif. What enticed me initially to GoT is regular people faced with really overwhelming circumstances, and dealing with them as they can, faults and all. The more magic thats introduced, the cheaper it gets in a way. The outcome should be more about normal folks paying the human cost (lives) to defend themselves, not having a deus ex machina show up in supernatural form to save the day as azor ahai reborn or whatever. With bran becoming a crippled Moa'dib, Dany and her trio of saviour dragons, Jon snow being either a targaryan or azor ahai reborn, etc its just is hinting at so many cliches. Maybe Martin wont use any of these in his finale, ie something new?

• Members

Ok I'm trying to make sense of all these characters. As far as I can tell, these are all the people who want to be king. I haven't read the books so I have no idea about spelling or anything. Can someone help fill in the gaps here or correct me or whatever?

Joffrey Lannister: mildly retarded teenager dickwad king. Supposed son of Dead King Robert (Baratheon?) and therefore heir to throne. Currently sits on the iron throne in King's Landing.

Stannis (Baratheon?): Dead King Robert's brother who claims to be the rightful heir. Has the fire witch lady. He is from ?

?? Baratheon: gay king, whose wife has the alien face. And he has the giant woman guarding him. Stannis's brother (?). He is from ?

??: The really old king who loves boats. His son was given away to the Starks as tribute or something weird like that. Always talking about he's made of iron or the family is all about iron or whatever. He is from ?

Rob Stark: from Winterfell, leading the main army against the Lannisters with the hope of taking out Joffrey. Their family is all about wolves.

Daenerys Targarian: dragon queen, now leading misfit band in the desert. Apparently her family used to be the long-serving rulers back in the day. She wants to kick out all these jokers and restore her family's dynasty.

?? anyone else ??

Archived