OT: Anyone see new HBO Series "Game of Thrones'?

Wicked_Tone

• Members

IIRC the ritual that Theon goes through on the show is how the Ironmen have been doing it for years. In the book, Damphair asks Theon if he's going to come to him for drowning to which he replies that he was already drowned when he was a boy. Damphair gives him {censored} about it and says something like "pouring water over your head is not the same thing."

I got the feeling that Damphair himself was trying to reinstitute an old ritual from long ago and that most Ironborn simply have water poured over them. I also got the feeling that the Greyjoys are the fundamentalists of the Iron Islands.

I guess that's what I'm remembering. Either way, I thought that was an awesome chapter, and the visual in my head was built up, and then dashed. I was sad.

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My "research" came from my buddy on facebook bitching about Theon's "baptism" and how it cheaped out. He wasn't online, so I looked into it. I thought it was cool, but then read how it was conceived, and agreed...they did cheap out.

I'm watching the show because it's a great story line, has great acting, and is visually stunning. I take comfort in the fact that it is nigh impossible for a visual medium (or at least one worth a damn) to spend an inordinate amount of time focusing on the genealogy of a stable-boy that said two words, or explain the intricacies of some dead language of a tree like species.

You would be pleasantly surprised. Their is very little time spent on genealogy (just lots of hints if you pay attention to put all of it together) and almost no time establishing fantasy languages, just a few random words thrown about.

• Members

I did pick up on that one - it's kinda sweet haha - Manderly DEFINITELY is a secret badass that plays the 'game' well in the later books. Great addition to the story line.

All of this is in the books, spread out amongst flashbacks. It's not all in order and thrown at the reader. Sublte hints, bro.

Damn, my crappy attention span strikes again!

• Members

You would be pleasantly surprised. Their is very little time spent on genealogy (just lots of hints if you pay attention to put all of it together) and almost no time establishing fantasy languages, just a few random words thrown about.

It's not just the exercises in genealogy detail that bother me. It's the endless stream of minor/insignificant back-stories surrounding every detail of everything. I don't give a {censored} nor do I need to know about the history of the Valeryn (sp) people, their language, and/or their culture. I just need to know that Valeryn steel is awesome, expensive, and rare.

• Members

It's not just the exercises in genealogy detail that bother me. It's the endless stream of minor/insignificant back-stories surrounding every detail of everything. I don't give a {censored} nor do I need to know about the history of the Valeryn (sp) people, their language, and/or their culture. I just need to know that Valeryn steel is awesome, expensive, and rare.

Fortunately for you, that's about as much detail that they go into in the story to be honest. There may be a few paragraphs spread out throughout the book saying, "They did something bad that makes Valroan uninhabittable now. And it's hard to get to."

But thats about as much as he does right about that.

The worst part of the series is the endless chapters of Danaerys playing war with slaves and thinking about getting laid.

• Members

The worst part of the series is the endless chapters of Danaerys playing war with slaves and thinking about getting laid.

holy {censored}... I couldn't agree more.... her chapters are just boring as {censored}.... except when the dragons {censored} {censored} up... other than that they are just lame IMO..

• Members

Wun Wun the giant will go ape{censored} and keep him from getting a fatal wound.

that's another possiblity.... he has lots of options... IMO Jon Snow has a large roll to play, so I can't see him getting killed out... then again I don't think anyone saw Ned being killed off either, so who knows really...

• Members
that's another possiblity.... he has lots of options... IMO Jon Snow has a large roll to play, so I can't see him getting killed out... then again I don't think anyone saw Ned being killed off either, so who knows really...

My thing about Jon being killed off.....If hes really dead..Then what is/was the whole point in any story behind the wall if there are no key players left there?

• Members

I saw this for the first time last night. The scene with the two chicks was hot. Other than that, it seemed to be a {censored}ty show about midgets and dragons.

Watch the episode prior to last night. There is a scene with two dudes...You would probably like that episode better.

• Members

Is it me...Or did they put the whole Renly getting killed and Melisandre shatting that shadow at Storms End in the wrong order?

They merged them. The siege at storms end went on for months. They cut the whole thing out, and took the most interesting part (the birthing scene) and put it in the Renly storyline.

Archived