OT: Anyone see new HBO Series "Game of Thrones'?

Wicked_Tone

• Members

Book 5 starts coming together towards the end.... a book and half of plot set ups finally start to come together... I'm just hoping that books 6 & 7 are basically {censored} happening as a result of all the plotting in 4 and 5

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
HAHA. Me too. I think I screamed {censored}!

I keep wondering though. If they don't cut Jon's head off is he going to become a wight? Or maybe even take over Ghost's body? There are so many possibilities there especially since at least some of the Starks seem to be able to take over other bodies when they are sleeping.

• Members

there's also the possiblilty that Melisandre could give him the "breath of life" like Thoros of Myr did for Beric Dondarrion...also... he never said he was dead, just blacked out, so who knows.. he might just live...someone might come to his rescue.. much like they did for Brienne......there are a few ways well this could go...just have to sit and wait...

• Members

Pretty sure Theon was never "drowned" in the book. In fact that whole scene is made up. We do see Damphair drown someone later on though.

Speaking of westeros.org, the main theory over there is Rhaegar Targaryan + Lyanna Stark = Jon Stark. I gotta say there is a hullva lot of evidence to support it.

Also, Id bet money Jon is still alive and is the Prince That Was Promised. Born again amongst salt and smoke (the tears from bowen marsh and the smoke from Jon's wounds?)

• Members

I don't remember him actually being drowned in the book either..But in the prologue or something they did drown someone. I just assumed that since its a ritual of the drowned god that they would have drowned him.

IIRC the ritual that Theon goes through on the show is how the Ironmen have been doing it for years. In the book, Damphair asks Theon if he's going to come to him for drowning to which he replies that he was already drowned when he was a boy. Damphair gives him {censored} about it and says something like "pouring water over your head is not the same thing."

I got the feeling that Damphair himself was trying to reinstitute an old ritual from long ago and that most Ironborn simply have water poured over them. I also got the feeling that the Greyjoys are the fundamentalists of the Iron Islands.

• Members

This.

I haven't read any of the books, but from what research I've done, the ceremony involves Theon getting drowned and brought back to life.

I won't read the books, either. Ever. I truly hate reading fantasy novels. Fantasy writing is nothing more than a masturbatory exercise in how lost in details, genealogy, meandering side-plots, and establishing new languages/cultures one can get. We get it, you can think up an entirely new universe where the uber-nerds can suspend their disbelief. Or, in Martin's case, we get it, you can write a series of books based on people/scenarios that resemble European history enough to make it easily accessible for a larger base...no need to ruin it with all that fantasy-writing-based bull{censored}.

So you're watching a show based on books you haven't read and that you know what you won't like, but you're doing "research" on them? :D

Seriously dude, if you can get past your own bias you might be pleasantly surprised. My Mom hates fantasy novels too and refused to read the series until she started watching the show. Now she's hooked. :evil:

• Members
So you're watching a show based on books you haven't read and that you know what you won't like, but you're doing "research" on them?
:D

Seriously dude, if you can get past your own bias you might be pleasantly surprised. My Mom hates fantasy novels too and refused to read the series until she started watching the show. Now she's hooked.
:evil:

I was the exact opposite....I didn't like the show until I started reading the books. Just the way Martin words {censored}...I'd love to have me some salt pork, a fine Dornish red and {censored} me some women dressed in motley.

• Members

I was the exact opposite....I didn't like the show until I started reading the books. Just the way Martin words {censored}...I'd love to have me some salt pork, a fine Dornish red and {censored} me some women dressed in motley.

Or charge into battle swinging a greatsword! :evil::lol:

His prose is simple yet effective. I also like that its "low magic" and there's not a bunch of elves (children of the forest) walking around with humans. Being "adult themed" doesn't hurt either. ;)

Ive been reading Joe Abercrombie's First Law Trilogy and its more gritty than ASOIAF. It has a very "western" feel to it, though there are no guns in it.

• Members

I thought Jon Snow/Stark's father was Ned Stark and the mother was unknown?

Why the turnaround to his mother being a Stark and him not being Ned's son? Where does it say that?

wat?

You were right the first time bra. Ned is Jons father. His Mother is just some woman who they did name in the show...But as far as we know shes basically unknown.

Unless of course I missed something...Which is very common for me since I read everything so half assed.

• Members

So you're watching a show based on books you haven't read and that you know what you won't like, but you're doing "research" on them?
:D

Seriously dude, if you can get past your own bias you might be pleasantly surprised. My Mom hates fantasy novels too and refused to read the series until she started watching the show. Now she's hooked.
:evil:

My "research" came from my buddy on facebook bitching about Theon's "baptism" and how it cheaped out. He wasn't online, so I looked into it. I thought it was cool, but then read how it was conceived, and agreed...they did cheap out.

I'm watching the show because it's a great story line, has great acting, and is visually stunning. I take comfort in the fact that it is nigh impossible for a visual medium (or at least one worth a damn) to spend an inordinate amount of time focusing on the genealogy of a stable-boy that said two words, or explain the intricacies of some dead language of a tree like species.

• Members

I thought Jon Snow/Stark's father was Ned Stark and the mother was unknown?

Why the turnaround to his mother being a Stark and him not being Ned's son? Where does it say that?

[supernerd]

It doesn't say that, but Lyanna died at The Tower of Joy guarded by knights (kingsguard) who are supposed to protect the heir to the throne. She makes Ned promise her something before she dies, though we never know what it is.

Also, Robert's Rebellion happened because Rhaegar supposedly kidnapped Lyanna. When Ned's brother (Brandon) and father (Rickard) went to Kings Landing to confront Rhaegar, he wasn't there, but his father the Mad King was. He promptly killed both Brandon and Rickard, and ordered the heads of Ned Sark and Robert Baratheon, who were both being fostered by Jon Arryn in the Eyrie.

Here's the thing, before the Rebellion there was a great tourney at Harrenhal (the same one Howland Reed was at, who was also at The Tower of Joy with Ned when he confronted the Kingsguard) and Rhaegar faught in it and won. Instead of crowning his wife, Elia Martel, the queen of love and beauty, he crowns Lyanna Stark. This crown was made out of blue roses.

Ned and Howland defeat the Kingsguard at The Tower of Joy and find Lyanna dying in a "bed of blood" surrounded by blue roses. Many interpret this as her dying in child birth, and that the promise Ned made to her was to keep the childs identity a secret, because Baratheon would want its head.

We also know that Lyanna was known as the "wild wolf," and that she never wanted to marry Robert Baratheon. The description of her doesn't fit with some girl would allow herself to be kidnapped. She also described as an excellent horse rider.

Also, in ACOK when Dany is in the House of the Undying, she sees a giant wall of ice with a blue rose (Jon Stark) growing out of it.

Again, just a theory but the evidence is pretty overwhelming. Also:

I'm convinced Aegon (Young Griff) in ADWD is not the real Aegon, but a Blackfyre pretender. He's the "mummers dragon" Dany also sees in the House of the Undying

[/supernerd]

• Members

I like it because I never picked up on it until I started reading the ASOIAF forums.

I got it in the first book(or maybe actually the TV show), only because of Robert's crack about "Eddard Stark forgetting his honor", which as we then go on to find out NEVER happens, coupled with the "bed of blood" and "Promise me, Ned" parts. I really wish they would have shown a flashback of that on the TV show.

• Members
I got it in the first book(or maybe actually the TV show), only because of Robert's crack about "Eddard Stark forgetting his honor", which as we then go on to find out NEVER happens, coupled with the "bed of blood" and "Promise me, Ned" parts. I really wish they would have shown a flashback of that on the TV show.

A flashback would have been awesome. Hell I want to Martin to write the actual fight between Ned/Howland and The Kingsguard({censored}ing Sword of The Morning, bro).

You know what else I didn't pick up in ADWD?

Manderly serves Bolton and Frey's "frey pie" at Winterfell. :lol:

Archived