OT: Anyone see new HBO Series "Game of Thrones'?

Wicked_Tone

• Members

They never explicitly say they had sex, but its implied, and theres no POV that would directly say this one way or another (stannis/melisandre). Its said the shadows come from the union of man and woman. I think its said that the shadow that kills renly looks like stannis.

I would have preferred they be more subtle about it. As it really skews Stannis' character. Its a key part of his character that hes stoic to a fault, and him just breaking his wedding vow goes hard against that aspect if they show it right off the bat.

Same with the scene in ep1 where baelish confronts cersei directly. Out of character.

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I would have preferred they be more subtle about it. As it really skews Stannis' character. Its a key part of his character that hes stoic to a fault, and him just breaking his wedding vow goes hard against that aspect if they show it right off the bat.

Same with the scene in ep1 where baelish confronts cersei directly. Out of character.

My thoughts exactly. In the books it seems almost impossible to believe Stannis would cheat on his wife, but they it is subtly implied that he does with Melisandre. And the Littlefinger scene was also an annoyance, but it seems that the Baelish of the show is more outwardly bold, a change I don't like, but one I will see where they take it before dismissing it.

• Members

Some question for the book people....

Is Melisandre correct? We know her prophecy about Stannis needing to kill royal blood to break dragons from stone is really about Dany/funeral pyre/Khal drogo. So shes wrong there. Shes also wrong about Seeing Arya on horseback fleeing.

We also know that she has magical abilities. Same with Beric Dondarrion, also a follower.
We know that the 'old gods' (weirwoods) have magic (bran/coldhands/Direwolves). Are there examples of worshippers of the seven having magical abilities?

So is it possible that either Bran or Melisandre is working for the Great Other? Both clearly have 'magical' aid, thats not tied to recent existence of Dragons in the world. Its possible both are 'good' or 'evil'.

• Members

I cannot think of any followers of The Seven with abilities off the top of my head. It seems to me that Martin is hinting that the Flame God of Melisandre and Donderrion is pretty powerful, as they pull off the craziest magic {censored} in the books.

There could be a follower of The Seven with powers that I'm forgetting, but my gut reaction is that there isn't one.

• Members

I thought they took good creative liberties with this episode. The expounded Littlefinger scene really did show his personality more (not that I know why they need more monologues for him, he's had like 4 already).

Stannis/Melisandre dynamic was fine - it was always hinted at, showing it just makes it a little more tangible for the audience at large. Not to mention showing that Stannis is willing to do ANYTHING to get the crown, even making small sacrifices such as infidelity and worshipping a new god.

:mad: gotta wait til next week now :mad:

• Members
I thought they took good creative liberties with this episode. The expounded Littlefinger scene really did show his personality more (not that I know why they need more monologues for him, he's had like 4 already).

Stannis/Melisandre dynamic was fine - it was always hinted at, showing it just makes it a little more tangible for the audience at large. Not to mention showing that Stannis is willing to do ANYTHING to get the crown, even making small sacrifices such as infidelity and worshipping a new god.

:mad:
gotta wait til next week now
:mad:

The more I think about the littlefinger scene in episode 1 (him threatening cersei), the less I like it. Think back to what you know about his history with Catelyn. The entire point of that backstory fly's in the face of his action in that episode.

The story if I recall correctly, was that he fought against Neds brother in a physical combat/duel for her hand. He lost, fled, and the value was that direct comfrontation was not his particular strength. Him threatening Cersei in the presence of her guards completely goes against that lesson.

• Members

She was definitely getting into it when he was rubbing her vag. Is she a perv/incestuous bitch in the books?

She does a bit more teasing in the books, but as Yarbicus said she is mostly just doing it for show, to mess with his head.

• Members

Exactly right. Face to face confrontation isn't what he is about. That is what makes the scene in season 1 between him and Varys so entertaining, IMO. Neither one will fight directly, so them going toe to toe in a battle of wits while being face to face is all the more intriguing, considering that from what I can gather in the books thus far it is basically one of these two who is going to decide who gets the throne.

• Members

Just watched episode two... Seems to be progressing well. Why did they change Asha's name? And too bad they didn't show more of Arya and Gendry, I think their storyline, with Biter and whatnot is great, and hopefully won't get overlooked.

• Members

I'm sure there's more of Arya to come, she is a major part of the whole story, Gendry I'm not so sure. Even though he does stay with Arya for a while and does pop up here and there again to me it was nothing too major unless his role as Robert's bastard come in to play in books 6 & 7....

I'm with you guys on the Littlefinger deal... very out of character... but I'm sure they would have a reason for it....

• Members

I'm sure there's more of Arya to come, she is a major part of the whole story, Gendry I'm not so sure. Even though he does stay with Arya for a while and does pop up here and there again to me it was nothing too major unless his role as Robert's bastard come in to play in books 6 & 7....

I'm with you guys on the Littlefinger deal... very out of character... but I'm sure they would have a reason for it....

I hope he's going to finish the last 2 books... I'm almost done 5, and its gonna suck waiting to finish the story. I tore through 1-5 in about 2 months.

• Members

I hope he's going to finish the last 2 books... I'm almost done 5, and its gonna suck waiting to finish the story. I tore through 1-5 in about 2 months.

yeah... I remember reading somewhere that he has some underwriters working with him should anything happen to him they could finish the series....I just don't want to wait FOREVER to get books 6 & 7! or worse yet he decides to add more books to the series! lol

• Members

Ok I admit I have not read the books .lol
I loved season one but so far this season they have introduced so many new stories and Character that i am left going WTF is going on.

Can some one break down who a few of these people are and what relation they have .

Stannis is Roberts brother i've got that much

Who is the dude with all the daughters where Rob and Sam are.

Ive got the Lannisters ..lol

Who is the dude that is calling his son The other stark a {censored} in the castle where the ships docked and he rode up on horseback fondling his sisters boobs unknowingly

Is there anyone else i need to know???

• Members

Ok I admit I have not read the books .lol

I loved season one but so far this season they have introduced so many new stories and Character that i am left going WTF is going on.

Can some one break down who a few of these people are and what relation they have .

Stannis is Roberts brother i've got that much

Who is the dude with all the daughters where Rob and Sam are.

Ive got the Lannisters ..lol

Who is the dude that is calling his son The other stark a {censored} in the castle where the ships docked and he rode up on horseback fondling his sisters boobs unknowingly

Is there anyone else i need to know???

Craster is the dude with all the daughters. He's a dude who lives beyond the wall.

The other Stark getting called a {censored} is not a stark. Hes a Greyjoy. He's from the iron islands, home of the drowned men. He was Rob Starks squire.

• Members

I just watched the full first season last weekend. Underwhelmed. Seems way to much like a soap opera filmed in soft light. Not near gritty enough. Has a very low budget feel to it.

Soap opera? What soap operas are like GOT? I've got to start watching TV more.

Archived