yourguitarhero

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i.e:

Non-dads, don't try to discuss this with dads. We know more than you do
:D

You know more about kids, of course - no one is arguing that. You don't know more about not having kids at your age. That is the fallacy. I didn't want to have to spell it out but there it is.

• Members
I like kitties, I've got 4
:thu:

Would I like to encounter me as an adult?
No reason why not, it's not like I kill and eat children for fun.

I try to steer clear of other people's children because I don't like them, but I'm not a bastard with them when I do come into contact with them. No point being a dick with a child just because it's a child, I just try not to be around children

lol

coo....i guess i can dig that. :thu:

xoxoxo

• Members
why do children have to make someone unhappy, as a rule? I think trying to place everyone with children in a specific bucket is a failure in progress.

there are far too many variables that I'm hesitant to say any two sets of parents are in the same situation. do you know how many unhappy couples have children as a way to "fix" their marriage/relationship? they're setting themselves up for failure even though they "wanted" children.

I'm only 4 months in to parenting, but the love I feel for my son surpasses any feeling I had pre-kid. Some days I'm frustrated, some days I'm overjoyed, but one constant is I do not ever question our decision to have him. Not one day goes by that I'm not thankful in every possible way that we have a healthy, happy baby boy. I can't and don't want to think back to life before him.
:)

just my two cents. I'm not an expert by any means. just another dummy that procreated.

You have to keep in mind that the book looked at correlations, not statistical majorities.

The author (one of them, anyway) was on The Colbert Report years ago talking about how there's the anomaly that NO adults would EVER say they don't love their children or even admit that their children/child has made them less happy but their life changes and actions reflect a correlation between having their children and their general state of happiness (as defined by the studies).

It's like people who live over 100 years old. There are correlations between sleeping well and living longer but sleeping well WILL NOT guarantee that you will live longer. There are correlations between diet and living longer but eating properly WILL NOT guarantee that you will live longer. There are correlations between having kids and being unhappy but having kids does not MAKE you unhappy.

• Members

I don't really think it's anyone's right to slag you for not wanting kids, that's an individual and personal choice.

I have to say, I envy all the toys my friends have that don't have kids. I wouldn't change a thing for myself though, I couldn't imagine life without my boys at this point. There are some things no amount of money can buy.

• Members
You know more about kids, of course - no one is arguing that. You don't know more about not having kids at your age. That is the fallacy. I didn't want to have to spell it out but there it is.

At my age, I don't feel the same pull towards cheerleaders and sports cars :) People (at least some) change as the years go by.
What am I supposed to do at 39? :lol: Screw cheerleaders in the bum, and drive around in a convertible to prove something to someone/myself?
Are you around 40, kidless, no family, have a sports car and tour all over, and content with the situation?
Then that is the right thing FOR YOU :D You fail to understand that people are different. And THAT, dear Johnny, is the fallacy.

I'm quoting myself here:
"Why do you think you have to choose? Everything gets boring after a while.
I lived my ego-life first, then I had my kids."

You're trying to prove to me (okay, not a sole argument) that my kids, my neighbor's kids, guitarbilly's kid make us unhappy? And being wrong about it. How do you want me to reply for you to say: "Okay, but FOR ME, kids aren't the solution. I can only speak for myself"

• Members

At my age, I don't feel the same pull towards cheerleaders and sports cars
:)
People (at least some) change as the years go by.

What am I supposed to do at 39?
:lol:
Screw cheerleaders in the bum, and drive around in a convertible to prove something to someone/myself?

Are you around 40, kidless, no family, have a sports car and tour all over, and content with the situation?

Then that is the right thing FOR YOU
:D
You fail to understand that people are different. And THAT, dear Johnny, is the fallacy.

I'm quoting myself here:

"Why do you think you have to choose? Everything gets boring after a while.

I lived my ego-life first, then I had my kids."

You're trying to prove to me (okay, not a sole argument) that my kids, my neighbor's kids, guitarbilly's kid make us unhappy? And being wrong about it. How do you want me to reply for you to say: "Okay, but FOR ME, kids aren't the solution. I can only speak for myself"

Heh, at no point was I ever arguing against having kids. Hell, the only reason I even started posting in this thread was because some a-hole claimed that people with no kids were a-holes. That's it.

Though, again, that's not what fallacy means ;)

• Members
Heh, at no point was I ever arguing against having kids. Hell, the only reason I even started posting in this thread was because some a-hole claimed that people with no kids were a-holes. That's it.

Though, again, that's not what fallacy means
;)

Huh? :D

fal

• Members
So, the wife and I have decided to never have children.

It's weird, I've always thought of it as one of those things I'll do it and some unspecified time in the future - you know, have a bit of fun now then get serious and have kids.

With some introspection I've realised I don't want any kids. Turns out the wife feels the same way.

We feel they take over your lives - time-wise, responsibility, financially. Kind of like it's been hanging over your head - you know, gotta get a good job so we can get a house for the kids when we have them,l have to get a family car etc. {censored} that, I want a 2 seater and a home cinema

We want to travel, to spend our money on ourselves - live for each other and not another person who is 100% dependent on us.

We're 29 and 30, so not that young
:cop:

We will live the lives of homosexual couples - nice clothes, furniture, food, cars and holidays and when we're old we'll sell our house and live off the cash and not worry about having to leave an inheritance. Round the world cruise!

same here - it is nice to golf whenever you want to

• Members

OP is smart and not at all selfish. IF they don't want kids, why have them?

He has concerns about finances and being able to do as they please. Kids put a dent in all the above.

What's the avg now 210-250k per kid (not including college) to the age of 21? I should say 28 and raise the amt another 50 grand!

Just in kids alone, you'd spend nearly a million dollars if you did like me and had 4. That doesn't include what I paid in child support from my daughter in my first marriage.

Sportscar = beat to {censored} Windstar :lol:

When they are all out of the house, I'm buying something cooler. Who knows when that will be. Kids don't leave the nest at 18 these days, plus they come back from college and live at home so THEY can buy the sportier car and laugh at what Dad drives! :mad:

• Members

I'll never understand how people get all antsy when you say you don't like children. Not liking children =/= mistreating children, for the record.

Fortunately, most parents I know are sufficiently broadminded that they don't feel the need to reassure themselves of their own life choices by criticising those whose choices have been different.

• Members

Kids are a big responsibility, if someone is not sure whether he wants kids or not, he shouldn't have kids. I now have two kids, but 6 months before my gf got pregnant, we weren't even sure we wanted kids. At some point it just became clear, we wanted kids. If you don't feel that urge, you're not ready IMHO.

The main reason the planet is as {censored}ed up as it is is overpopulation, too many people taking too little natural resources, not having kids might just be a smart move at this point. it's sad really.

• Members

^Technically, overpopulation is caused by falling death rates, not a rise in birth rates. Statistically, people are having LESS kids today then ever in history.

Also, statistically, the more intelligent you are the less inclined you are to have many children. That's not a swipe at people who have large families, that just shows that as we get greater access to information (eg. Internet) we not only find ways to live longer but we find reasons to have less kids.

In conclusion, correlating overpopulation with not having kids as an excuse for why someone wouldn't have kids is a pretty lame excuse. Just say, "'Cause I don't want any" and call it a day.

• Members

Deciding not to have children is selfish and immature?

Just what I was thinking. I think it's better to be true to oneself then do as society tells you you should to conform. Who knows, maybe ten years from know they change their minds and adopt a needy child or some {censored}, but if that's really what they feel then it's good they can be honest about it and plan the life THEY want.

I can tell you one thing for sure, it' better to decide not to have children, then not want them and have them anyway.

• Members

Older than the OP, and we will not have kids. I DO own a sports car.
I have 0 desire to have them now. When I was younger I thought I would, but now I could deal with a screaming infant, and all the drama raising kids. I am an uncle a few times over, and that is enough. They will get all my {censored}.

• Members

^Technically, overpopulation is caused by falling death rates, not a rise in birth rates. Statistically, people are having LESS kids today then ever in history.

Also, statistically, the more intelligent you are the less inclined you are to have many children. That's not a swipe at people who have large families, that just shows that as we get greater access to information (eg. Internet) we not only find ways to live longer but we find reasons to have less kids.

In conclusion, correlating overpopulation with not having kids as an excuse for why someone wouldn't have kids is a pretty lame excuse. Just say, "'Cause I don't want any" and call it a day.

I never said overpopulation was caused by rise in birth rates. But since we are not getting eaten by predators anymore, and we are not gonna die younger anytime soon. I don't really see how we can try and fix the problem if not by having even less kids.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

With every couple it's different but in most situations it's the ones having kids that are selfish. Especially if they lack the self awareness to see that they would be horrible at it. Especially if your kids grow up to be lousy, and you stop caring for them once they stop thinking you are their hero because they see you (and your flaws) for who they really are. That's not even factoring in how many people have kids just for the welfare checks, or how overpopulated the world already is.

What about how many parents try to correct their own mistakes through their kids? That's not selfish? And cut them off as soon as they want to go their own way in life?

Good parents who produce good kids, a nice neat house and yard.. that stuff is great, it's just not for everyone. And those that aren't capable of that, the more who are able to acknowledge it, the better it is for EVERYONE.

It's always amazed me how the government polices the roads so strictly and forces you to gain a license for being able to participate.. because people's lives are at risk when you get behind the wheel. Yet a couple of 15 year olds can have a baby, leave school, live on welfare, possibly become drug/alcoholic and ruin that babies life. Or even a 20 or 30 year old couple who don't even know how to read or write can have a kid. Why is there no such thing as a parent license?

This is a controversial topic but it really seems to seperate the loons from the epic fails when it comes to the condemning of other people's choices. This is slightly contradictory but if there is one thing that I would want to condemn it's not the choice of "no kids for me thanks" it's those people who have 4, 6 or 8 kids and can't afford to give the kids the time, energy or things they need.. it's common sense thrown right out the window. I don't care what most people do, I just hope they they are able to put their kids lives first, and make sure they are up the to task because it's pretty much the biggest commitment on the planet to have a kid. Alot of people can't even manage pets, cleaning the car regularly or learning their scales.

• Members
To the OP: It's good to see that you and your GF are honest with each other. Just make sure to let her know, that if she ever changes her mind, that she should
let you know
, so you can discuss it. Otherwise, it will eat her up.

I teach highschool kids on a daily basis, and it seems there are very, very few decent and responsible parents out there. A lot of people that didn't take the responsibility seriously. And while the majority of the kids I see with problems come from broken homes, a few comes from "nuclear" families; but they're "dream kids", projects, that has never been told no or been given any sort of opposition their whole life. So I'm left with 19 year olds refusing to acknowledge that they actually need to put in an effort to get anywhere in life, and that a law degree or dream job wont fall into their laps.

Me, I want kids. I'm 27, happily married, with a pretty good job and everything, but I cant help feel like I'm missing something in my life. I dont want big cars, I dont have a great need to travel. I want to create something beautiful with the woman I love and see it grow up. It wont be easy, of course, but the best parts in life comes from struggles.

Those first two paragraphs.. very wise words.

Archived